Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

To Quit or not to quit
Quote | Reply
I currently teach spinning 2x/ week, Mon and Wed 5:15 am.

Benefits: I enjoy teaching, free gym membership (includes pool), guaranteed bike miles

Cons: Doesn't always fit into my training plan; I am starting to travel more for work (at least 1x/month) and have to sub out a lot; I've been teaching for so long that it's totally not a workout for me. I can't even get my heartrate up in class at all; the time commitment - 15 minutes to and from gym plus about 10 mins before and after class. There's a different gym only 5 mins from home, but I'd have to pay to use it and I don't like it as well as my club.

I'm training for IMWI 2009, and finding time to train is probably my biggest challenge. I have 2 very young kids and work fulltime. My husband is putting a lot of pressure on me to quit.

However one of my other huge challenges in training is consistency. If nothing else, I know I get 2 spin sessions a week right (albeit they hardly count as a workout.)

I've trained for 7 other IM races by training around my spin classes. Part of me feels like I could finally put together a truly ideal training plan, but part of me is terrified that without spinning, I'll lose my motivation and any tiny bit of consistency I have altogether. Due to my schedule, spinning is the only time I can exercise with others.

Mostly I'm just tired and it's getting to be a lot to juggle, plus the pressure from my DH.

I'd greatly appreciate any input - quit or not?

Thx!
Quote Reply
Re: To Quit or not to quit [Elsa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am a recoving spin instructor. I would quit if I were you. I have trained for IM's with teaching spinning and it just became a hassle. I no longer got a workout, the time constraints (even if it was a 45 min class it really took 1.5 hr with drive time, etc.). I get a better workout outdoors on my bike or on the Computrainer. Just my .02 cents....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Based on what you've said, it sounds like you're not getting enough out of the teaching to make it worthwhile. Plus, you'll gain some points from your husband if you quit. Those points will be useful later when you need to put in some additional time on weekends for your long stuff. It sounds like your training would be much better without it too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depending on where you live, you could maybe look into leading a class at a bike shop over the winter where people bring there bikes and trainers and do indoor workouts together.
Jess

Jessica
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
give yourself permission: quit, it's ok

Quote | Reply
Depending on where you live, maybe suck it up to get through winter and quit in the spring. I'm in the gym 5X a week Nov. to May, but in summer and fall I forget where it is ... (I do the same as you, but only 2x/week Jan. to June)
Quote Reply