Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

To Gym or not to Gym
Quote | Reply
Wondering how many of you workout independently verses belonging to a full service gym. I use to do the gym thing but I don't need any classes. I can do my trainer, run outside, and swim at the rec center- do you really need a gym to do long distance?

COtrimom

Quote Reply
Re: To Gym or not to Gym [COTrimom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Need, no. Want, yes.

Quote | Reply
College student, we all have access to a really nice fitness center (classes, cardio equipment, free weights, Nautilus circuit, rec pool)... competition pool (that's my home ;-)... climbing wall...

You certainly don't need a gym, particularly if you can get away with training outside year round.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My pool also has a weight room, which I use after my swims.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I belong to the YMCA because of the pool, so I get the entire package. I'd still belong to be able to lift weights.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never belonged to a gym until I worked in one for a winter. Prior to that, it was all trainer, outside running and the rec center had a swim only pass. Never even saw the weight room there... worked great - all of my races were late July or later, so I could still get outside on the bike for a few months before a race.

I must say that having access to the treadmill and spin classes during the winter was awesome - but there is snow on the ground pretty much from now until April/May here that makes riding outdoors dumb and I don't like to hit ice when I run, so it very convenient.

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like having the gym for weight work, and for the exercise bikes since the trainer in the garage gets kinda cold..
Don't think it's necessary though. We have a number of rec. centers included in the homeowners' association fees, doubt that I'd actually pay for a gym.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a treadmill, trainer and weights in my basement. I used to belong to the YMCA, but the 20 minute drive back and forth wasn't worth it. I like being able to go downstairs and start my workout immediately. Besides, I never have to wait for a tmill (like at the Y) or have to worry about the goofy people who use the weights at gyms.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't belong to a gym. I have everything I need at home. It's easier to fit in training around my life that way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a woman of a certain age (meaning over uhhh, 40), I suggest that most women from 35 on, need to lift weights. Our bodies naturally lose muscle mass as we age, and women lose it faster than men. A small percentage each year adds up over time.

So while I only do a class called "body pump" at the Y (weights done to music), I am in the weight room 3x per week killing my quads, hammies and butt to stave off Father Time.

For long distance, short distance, doesn't matter. I truly believe and have seen the benefits of lifting in the off season for the past 10 years.

Sue, 7X IM, 11:44 PR at Lake Placid (at 39!)
Quote Reply
Re: To Gym or not to Gym [sto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I go to the gym b/c it has a whirlpool!!
Quote Reply
Re: To Gym or not to Gym [kathy.rakel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oh yeah, that's very important! :)

I have a hot tub at home, so I am spoiled. I can hop in anytime I want.
Quote Reply