Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tips for 1st HIM w. Multi Transition
Quote | Reply
So I lurk a lot but hardly ever post, but after being told in a PM not to listen to the dorks on the main forum here goes in the Womens :-)

I'm doing Boise 70.3 June 13 as my first HIM. Have a smattering of sprints, couple Olys under my belt. I'm definitely a BOPer looking to finish before they turn the lights out is all...

What are your best tips for a 1st timer? Especially when it comes to separate bike / run transitions?

Definitely have been tweaking my nutrition on the bike and reading a lot about pacing myself but looking to all you experienced women for that extra something I just know I'm forgetting about!

Thanks a ton!!! not like I'm getting completely freaked out nervous or anything, and I just don't understand why the airline has an objection to my bike sitting beside me in a seat? (Yeah, can you tell, I've never traveled to a race either!!!)
Quote Reply
Re: Tips for 1st HIM w. Multi Transition [cindyloohoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In terms of general first HIM advice, pacing is hugely important. It's a long day, so going too hard early will be really miserable later on. Keep a positive mindset and just take the day as it comes. As far as having the two transitions set up, I've done a few races with this set-up and it's actually not that bad. The only big difference is having to stuff all of your T1 stuff into a bag and hand it off, but otherwise it's not a huge deal. It's great that you're tweaking nutrition now, get that nailed down so you aren't doing anything new in the race and you'll be golden.

Have fun and make sure to post a race report here when you're done!

M

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The main thing is to not get too worried about forgetting anything at either transition during set-up... I like to pack the night before and check it once, maybe twice before bed, but to ***never*** remove anything on race morning - only add. Pack separate bags and keep them apart, make sure you don't mix them up.

Also: Ride your bike the day before race day, even if only for 30min easy to make sure everything is in working order. Don't make any big adjustments when you do find mechanical issues.

And: Nothing new on race day.

Have fun! We want a RR and pics!!!

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Make a list and check it twice. Our local Oly has T1 and T2 in different locations and even though I've done the race several times, I think and rethink about what I'm going to need where.

Take AP's advice and pack the night before.

Have fun!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done a lot of races with split transitions...so here are some things to consider.

1) If you want to do a run warm up before the swim, take an old pair of running shoes, put your wetsuit in a cheapo nylon backpack and either run to the swim start (point to point swim like NOLA 70.3 and NYC Tri) or just go for a run. If you can check your stuff there, check the shoes and the bag, if not, leave it. If you don't want to do a run warm up, grab some old flip flops to walk around in before the race.

2) If you have to check your run gear in the day before and are planning on carrying your own nutrition, you have to think this through...depending on what you are planning on carrying. For Honu, I will put my powdered perpetuem in an empty water bottle. On the way out of transition I fill it with water from the aid station (or last year the volunteers in the changing tent were nice enough to fill it for me).

Have fun!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did Vineman 70.3 as my 2nd 1/2 IM and they had separate transition. I laid out in 2 piles T1 and T2 with my bike and all. Then I did a mock run ( mind you this is all in my hotel room) into T1 and put on all my bike gear and then accessed did I have it all and did the same for T2. Next I laid out all nutrition for T1 and T2 and added 2 water bottles, 1 for each, just in case I needed an extra one.

Once I was sure I bagged it all and kept in a safe place.

You'll do great!

Just make sure you have your nutrition nailed.
- I wake up early 4am for 7am start and eat 800 calories- that allows 3 hours to get out of my gut
- Bike I have all calories in 1 bottle and I 2 lines, break the bottle into 3rds, so I know how much to take in - I swig every 9 miles and 2 swigs is 1/3 of the bottle
I have salt tabs in a small bag in bento box - opened up so I can grab each hour
I tape 2 guus to my bike, just in case I need some extra calories
- Run I have 1 bottle in T2 with 400 calories and I run out of T2 with that-
clipped to my hat are my salt tabs, gus etc so I do not risk forgetting them in T2.

Best of luck and have fun!!!!

Quote Reply
Re: Tips for 1st HIM w. Multi Transition [idropoboys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the tips!
Julie, you mention you have all your cals in a bottle, what's your poison of choice?
And do you consume your salt tabs whole or mix it into a water bottle?

Tnx!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My husband will be doing Boise HIM and I'll be playing sherpa for him. Not sure if you're traveling with a crew of friends or not but let me know if you'd like someone to go to dinner with beforehand (or heck, even breakfast since the race has a 2pm start!), help keep you calm, or anything else that would help.

As mentioned above, the interesting thing about Boise is the VERY late start. My husband has been talking to a bunch of coaches and racers and everyone recommends eating a large protein-heavy breakfast the morning of, getting in a light workout, taking a nap, and then having a light lunch before the race.

Hope to see you there! And I can promise to stick around and cheer you through the finish. :)

http://smallfoodbiz.com
</blatent self-marketing>
Quote Reply
Re: Tips for 1st HIM w. Multi Transition [lilpups] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Lil, thanks for those food tips! No posse of friends, just my sherpa, a/k/a my husband. I'll PM our details.

My sherpa is 6'5 and so NON triathlete and will probably be staring about with a puzzled look on his face. He's very proud of me and very supportive but, like the dog who turns his head up wondering what's going on, he's extremely mystified by the need to make oneself workout for 6+ hours for the fun of it :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
And do you consume your salt tabs whole or mix it into a water bottle?
Good question. The advice I got (and followed) in Richmond, was, if you are cramping, chew them and swallow, followed by clear water, asap. Or have some water in your mouth then pop in the salt tab and chew. They are pretty tough to take this way, but you want to get them into you asap.

If you are using them proactively (ie before the cramping starts), you could suck on them, I suppose, but this just makes the unpleasant taste last longer in your mouth!

My coach advised to not put the salt tab in the water bottle, ie to keep the water clear in case you need to pour some over you. I did put one salt tab into my sport drink bottle and let it dissolve.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck and most importantly, enjoy the day!

In regards to your question about salt tabs and water bottles, for a half I carry the salt tabs in my pocket and chew one on the bike (gross, but I do it preemptively) amd then on the run same thing as well. I find that it goes down a little easier with a swig of water. One of my favorite things is also to keep a bottle of Coca Cola in the transition area. The Coke helps my stomach if it is a little upset and the caffeine gives me a nice little boost. I also prefer nutrition that has caffeine in it for the same boost. Also, just stay positive throughout the race and enjoy being out there and that your body allows you to accomplish such great things! Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For IM I have 1500K in one bottle and that is 750 Carbo Pro and 750 Perpetum. It is thick, almost a paste, but since I only take a swig at a time it is not so bad. I like the Perpetum b/c is has the protein which I think is important for long races.

Salt- I use Enduralytes which have less sodium per tab (4pmg per tab) but have other good stuff. If 70-75 degrees I take 3/hour, if 75-80 I take 4 and if over 80 I take 5/hour and am flexible to take more. Even though it is an extra step I like to control how many I am taking. I also have the magic bullet Motivator for the 2nd 1/2 of the bike, start of the run and at the 1/2 way on the run. For a 70.3, I take one starting the run and maybe one at the 6 mile mark if I am in need of some caffeine.

Quote Reply