Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tips for 1st Duathlon
Quote | Reply
First duathlon in 2 weeks. Any tips for a fiftysomething first timer?
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Tips for 1st Duathlon [phattgirl53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have fun and finish with a smile. Thank all the volunteers. Rack your bike in an easy gear. Start slowly and back off. Did I say to have fun?

Brad

3SIXTY5cycling.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
First duathlon in 2 weeks. Any tips for a fiftysomething first timer?
Thanks

Do not go out too fast in the first run would be the most important advice!

Figure out where you come in from Run 1, go out for the Bike, come in from the Bike and head out for Run 2. Jog it out a couple of times so that you will recognize it during transition and not get confused (things look VERY different DURING transition in the actual race!).

Study the course map carefully before the race. Drive it beforehand if you have time.

Practice your transition from run to bike to run, especially if you will be changing your shoes.

Enjoy the experience, live in the moment and soak it all in. You will never have another first one!

What are the distances for the race? Have you done triathlons before, or is this your first multisport event?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for starting this thread. I too will be doing my first of 2 du's this summer. I am a runner and cyclist so I've finally gotten up the nerve to combine them. Yikes! There, I've put it out there! What distance is your race? I have been searching for info on du training programs but haven't had too much luck as most stuff relates to tri races. Also curious what to do about pace?

Please let us know how it goes. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for all for your advice. This is my first multisport event. The race is a 5k run/20mile bike/5K run. I have run 5Ks before so I know about being aware of the course as there are not always people around you to follow.

I have run the two different 5Ks in this race and have driven the bike course. Fortunately the race director has "map your run" for each event so I have pretty much memorized it.

I have practiced the transition from run to bike as well as the bike to run. Bike to run is like trying to run in mud at first but I find if I push through, the muscles come back.

Thanks for the encouragement.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW, I find Bike to Run FAR easier than Run to Bike... so take it easy... Your legs will feel like crap after that first 5k, if you run at a typical standalone 5k race pace. I suggest you knock 30" to 1' off your mile pace and take the first 5 easy. You will probably pass a lot of folks on the second run legs. However, you will get passed by a bunch of hotheads on the first run leg - LET THEM GO. You can catch them later. ;-)

have fun! Post a RR when you're done!

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't touch your bike until you have on your helmet and don't remove your helmet until you have racked your bike when you come back in. Enjoy yourself, thank the vollies, be kind to other competitors!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
have a blast and come back to tell us all about it! i'm doing my first (4k-30k-4k) on may 24th :)

current plan: tempo pace for the first run, hammer the bike (on which i've been working HARD over the winter), lay whatever i've got left out for the run. it's only 4k at the end, so it'll only hurt for a maximum of 20mins-ish for my plodder ass ;)

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
I agree with other posters, save some gas for the second run. There is a tendency to go too fast on the first run, hammer the bike and then not have enough left for the second run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well Phattgirl53, how did your race go???
Quote Reply
Re: Tips for 1st Duathlon [julieb2008] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm back to report on my duathlon- finished in less than 3 hours, but what a fun experience! It was so empowering that I feel that I can undertake anything!!

I took all your advice i.e. thanked the volunteers (some of which were surprised), went over the transition point prior to the race, remembered to get my helmet on before touching the bike as well as when to take it off.

BTW to my shock after pedaling on the bike course for about 15 miles, I started PASSING people!! What a rush! I will never forget this experience and thank you all for the support.
Quote Reply