Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Thyroid disease - need some advice
Quote | Reply
Hi all -

Been a triathlete for about 15 years and have enjoyed every minute. In December 2010 I got a really bad cold. The symptoms never really went away, needless to say after several visit to PCP with continued fatigue, weakness, and weight loss I was finally sent to an endocrinologist who diagnosed me with Graves and toxic multinodular goiter in August 2011. I was placed on medication and blood work monitored every six weeks. Most all of my symptoms went away and I have been on just a maintenance dose of Tapasol. I have been doing well and my doctor said it was safe for me to go back to training. I got started back about 2.5 months ago and other than some fatigue I have been feeling pretty good and my labs have continued to be stable. Now here is the kicker. Last Friday before the holiday weekend I got home from work and running some errands and notice my upper back was a little itchy. When I got ready to take my shower I noticed some red dots. I asked my husband to look at it and he said it looked like I was allergic to something. I took some Benadryl and put some hydrocortisone cream on it. Saturday it seemed to be gone. I participated in a 2 hours charity run that Saturday with no problems. On Sunday it seemed to back now lower on my back and my hips. I took some more Benadryl and went to bed. On Monday (Labor Day) I woke up with it all over my arms, chest , back and trunk. About lunch it had not gone away and so I went to Urgent Care as they were all that was open. The doc looked at it and said it looked like I was allergic to something and offered a steroid shot to settle it down as well as told me to come home and was all bed linen and anything else that was a soft surface. I did just that even getting out my steam cleaner and cleaning the bed and chairs. As the day continued all the red wealts went away and I felt fine. Tuesday got up and had no signs or symptoms. Thought I was in the clear. About 230 or 3 on Tuesday at work my lips started to feel a little tingly and I noticed that my ears were hot and my jaw was a little sore. By the time I got off at 6 my lower face and lips were swollen. I work at a hospital and asked one of the docs. He said to take a double dose of benadryl and if I had any breathing problems to go to the ER. I went home and took the benadryl and went to bed. Wednesday morning woke up with my face swollen including my left eye being swollen shut and a bright red rash all over my back and arms. I went straight to my PCP. Needless to say after 3 more steroids shots and two prednisone dose packs I am still suffering with these hives. After doing some of my own research I see where some thyroid patients suffer from chronic hives brought on by levels of adrenal and hormones being out of whack. Does anyone have any experience with this? I am going to see my endo this next week, but wanted to get some ideas. I took a few days off from training but woud like to get started back ASAP, just not sure if this is something I should get all worked up about.
Quote Reply
Re: Thyroid disease - need some advice [clgswisher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you need to get this sorted out ASAP before you worry about training. Your body is reacting badly to something, could it be the meds you're on? Maybe you've developed a sensitivity to them, or it could be... anything. If your face swells up like that again, I'd go to an ER and not wait on your PCP. Man that's scary stuff. Pumping your heart (i.e.: training) is also going exacerbate any reaction. Time for a reality check methinks - these type of reactions can kill if they get out of hand - and your training can wait.

Good luck and keep us posted.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have a thyroid issue myself. Sort out the medical before you start training back. Your thyroid affect so many different things in your body. If I feel off at any time I get back to normal before I swimbikerun....

Feel better soon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take a good hard look at all of your cleaning products especially soap, shampoo and laundry soap. Something similar happened to my daughter years ago and it ended up being a new laundry soap we had just purchased.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well after several trips to the PCP and Endo I have been diagnosed with chronic idiopathic urticara. It just affects some people and since I already have the auto immune Graves disease it makes me more susceptible. The course usually last 4 to 6 weeks and will wax and wane. I am now on two drugs to combat the flares and from this point on will be trying different ways to manage this. Doc says not to worry that about 10% of Graves patient deal with this. I have a list of foods that are histamine producers and I need to avoid them if possible. Needless to say, I will be avoiding them!!! I am stating to feel better and should be back to working out in the next day or so. A grocery store visit will be in order so that there are foods here at home I can eat as well and things I can take to lunch. The weirdest thing I have to stay away from is spinach and tomatoes, two of my favs. I will keep you up to date on my progress. Guess it is just one more challenge.
Quote Reply