Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The ultimate women's role model
Quote | Reply
French rider Jeannie Longo...49 years old, and still winning. She was interviewed in Italy, here.
Quote Reply
Re: The ultimate women's role model [caffetrieste] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for posting something positive and sport related.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We touched on here a while back during the Olympics when talking about Dara Torres and Sheila Toromina. Inspiring to all of us.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh yeah, I've been watching her for what feels like ages.... love seeing athletes perform agelessly... so consistent. Great post.

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's another good article about Longo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed. Another one is Sister Madonna.
Quote Reply
Re: The ultimate women's role model [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Agreed. Another one is Sister Madonna.

Seriously disagree.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: The ultimate women's role model [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmmm....guess I need to get out more. Wink
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While I think it is great that Longo is still kickin it on the bike at 50, when she competed here at the HP Women's Challenge in the 80's / 90's / 00's, she was a bitch on wheels. Most of the pro women's peleton hated her. She has a huge ego, and total primadonna attitude, and was consdescending / mean to everyone. I hope she's softened with age.

As for role models, I'd vote Sheila T, who I've met before, and is a wonderful, charming, humble and nice person. Also my homie, Kristin Armstrong, Oly gold medalist, humble, nice and still teaches spinning classes at the local Y.

Funny, I find the more accomplished the person is, the more humble they are. In fact, I know 2 Olympic gold medalists who GET EMBARRASSED if you make a big deal of their medals, World Cup victories, etc, or who they are or what they have accomplished (sort of the anti-Herb Spicers of this world). And I imagine that some of the more accomplished lady athletes on this message board feel the same way.

Sue
Quote Reply
Re: The ultimate women's role model [sto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's a story on your "homie" Kristin Armstrong in the Marin County, CA newspaper, here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for that article. I sat with her on the flight back to Boise from SFO the day after that ride, and she loves riding down there.

KA was a top age group, just turned pro triathlete, when she found out she had osteoarthristis in her hips and was told she could never run again. Instead of letting it bring her down, she chose to become a bike racer, and within 2 years was on the US National team and racing pro. Granted, she has an UNGODLY amount of natural ability, which made the switch easier, but I admire her for finding the silver (now gold) lining in her situation.
Quote Reply