Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The "I'm Awesome" thread
Quote | Reply
On the weekly check-in thread I talked about a conversation I had with a friend of mine. We resolved to stop saying we aren't good athletes because when you look at the list of stuff we've done, it is impressive.

So I thought it would be fun for us to have a front door brag thread. Tell us what you've done. It doesn't matter if you finished first or last, it counts. I know we have some first time triathletes on here and you are amazing. I also know we have some race winners and you are equally awesome. This isn't a one-upmanship thread, it is a thread to recognize what you've accomplished and embrace the good athlete in you.

Corny? Probably, but who gives a shit. There isn't nearly enough applause in our daily lives so let's do that for each other. If you think this is stupid, keep it to yourself and stop reading.

I'll let others start so this doesn't look like an attempt to brag about myself :-)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: The "I'm Awesome" thread [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love this idea! I know I am always pushing to the next thing or trying to do stuff better and don't take enough time to be happy with what I have done.

So I will start -- last week on July 4th I ran 10 miles for the first time! It is a huge mental hurtle for me to get to the 10 number.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm very proud of what I've done. Completing the races that I've done has completely changed me - especially the one and only ironman that I did. I am so much more confident now than I ever was before. I will likely never be very fast (don't train enough), but crossing the finish line in one piece is enough for me. Here's my list (including a few non-races that I'm proud of):

- couple of sprints
- 1 Olympic distance
- 2 half ironmans
- 2 marathons
- 1 ironman
- 2 babies (natural birth)
- 5 championships for my U14 volleyball and basketball teams (I coach)

Dropped the ball on consistent training after the ironman several years ago. I'm now signed up for my first triathlon since 2007.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JenSW not only do you crack me up at times but your spirit glows through the net. This is a great thread to start. My list of awesomeness can take up an entire page so I will not go there but something I did that surpasses all others was pace a woman to a half marathon finish.
As posted times before, I volunteer with the homeless in the city where I live. A few of the people in the rehab program train for the local marathon/half marathon/ 5k. This is a very big deal for a lot of them because of their backgrounds and past abuse and addictions. Since they know I am into fitness, many ask for advise on how to improve their health and overall performance. Right before the marathon I tell them that I will be out cheering for them until they cross the finish line. A few years ago there was only one female running the half marathon who kept it a secret. I found out the day before the race and thought about how difficult it would be for her since she is a smoker and hard drug abuser of 30 years. During the race, I was on the street cheering like a nut and spotted her. She looked good and said she planned to finish at 2 hours or so. I told her I would watch her cross the finish line. At mile 11.5 I waited and waited for her to pass. She was no where in sight so I locked up my bike, still waited for her with my handheld then spotted her 45 minutes later. She was a mess but still running. I grabbed her hand, gave her water and ran with her. She wanted to quit and I was having difficulty breathing due to asthma but the end was nearing so we pressed on. She kept asking how long the race was and how much further she had to go. She was unaware of how far a half marathon is. Once she got to mile 13, she flew like a bird to the finish with the biggest smile on her face. It was cute.
Two days later with tears in her eyes, she thanked me more times than I remember. She said if I had not been there for her, she would have quit. This story was shared at her group meeting and on a visitation day with her daughter, she brought her in to meet me. That experience nearly brought me to tears and made the volunteering that I do worth its weight in gold.

Quote | Reply
I really love this thread idea - my best friend keeps telling me I need to be "more gentle" with myself. This is a great way to focus on the good.

In October of 2012, I limped across the finish of a 5k, both my calves completely cramped up. I felt weak and awful. Since then, I've done a half marathon, Tough Mudder, and 2 sprint triathlons - and I'm not about to stop there.
Not only have I gone from 36% body fat to 22, I sleep better, feel better, and am better at work. I even got an award for dealing with a "hostile work environment" at a client!

Today was a biggie for me. Despite it being quite windy outside (14mph felt like a lot) - I was FINALLY able to get into my aero bars and feel strong. I must have looked like a crazy fool for the massive grin on my face during the last 2 miles. I've never been able to ride on them outside before.

Edits: other proud moments.
Performed in Carnegie Hall
Earned my master's degree by 22
Successfully planning our wedding for September
Can cook /anything/ and improve on a lot of recipes as second nature
Great relationship with my parents
I volunteer regularly at the local food bank and blood bank
I escaped a physically and mentally abusive relationship, on my own

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Last edited by: Agilecipher: Jul 13, 13 14:31
Quote Reply
Re: The "I'm Awesome" thread [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WOW! That's a heap of accomplishments (race and non). Good for you for getting back into it - I love that you recognize that you are more confident for the sport!

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, I'm super stoked today so I'll share today. I took up horseback riding last year - it's something I've always wanted to focus on but haven't ever really had the chance. I only get to ride about once every two weeks because of where my stable is located and only in the summer since they don't have a covered arena and it's in a mountainous area (aka - lots of snow in the winter).

Today I *finally* figured out the canter (just shy of a gallop) and managed to canter with one hand on the reins and one hand off the horse entirely. I'm so excited - it just clicked today. My trot is feeling strong too but at one point today the horse got a little spooky and took off much faster than I was comfortable but I was able to quickly and confidently reign him in without falling off. It was awesome. Seriously, every time I take a lesson it reminds me of swimming b/c it's SO technique driven!

I'm having a blast pushing myself in this new sport, learning everything I can, and I'm already trying to figure out whether I can get a pony of my own in a few years. :)

I've also just paddleboarded AND lifted the 35lb board onto the rack on top of my SUV every day for the past 14 days - my upper body is looking great and feeling super strong!

http://smallfoodbiz.com
</blatent self-marketing>
Quote Reply
Re: The "I'm Awesome" thread [Agilecipher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DawnT - I know this isn't a competition but I think 'natural childbirth' pretty much wins. :)
Travelmama - that made me cry. I imagine so many people had 'given up' on that person in her life and your being there for her must have been life altering.
Agilecipher - huge congrats on the progress from that first race to now. That change in body fat is incredibly impressive!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We rock!!! :-)

I did my first IM last year. My last triathlon before that was an OLY sometime back in the '90's along with my one & only half marathon. I've always promised myself that I wouldn't do a full marathon & so far I've stuck to it so this was new territory. Ran the whole run & came in under 13 hours.

Did my second IM this year, took 25 min off my run & made top 10 in my old chicks age group.

I'm awesome!! :-) So are you all!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
superwoman thread! you *all* are amazing - love the lesson of travelmama's post -- if you've got it, pass it along . . .

my proudest finish is still the Tough Guy i did about 5 years ago -- starting with an 8 mile run, a couple of full dunks into icy horse-pond water (January), sun going down at 3:00 while the race was full on, and worst of all, lots and lots of climbs (upper body strength is not at a premium here). Scary as hell but the exhilaration was extreme.

I think as you get older doing 'inappropriate' activities for your age becomes more and more meaningful. Now that most of them are long past childbirth and so retired from physical challenge, most of my gal pals think a tough event is getting nicked during a pedicure.

At the finish (in an unheated barn, no facilities to shower or change) i was shaking like after birth, or waking up after anaesthesia. Core-deep quakes of pure shock. But i had my crappy medal and humounguous t-shirt. If somebody rude comes along and starts ringing my bells, I just go back to that horse farm, smile, and know they'd never even get started.

i'm going to read every one of the posts that follow -- pure inspiration
Quote Reply
Re: The "I'm Awesome" thread [lilpups] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha! I have a high pain tolerance.

Great job on the horseback riding. I took one lesson once and was so surprised at how technical it was. You must get a great feeling being with horses.

Travelmama - thank you for being a volunteer with the homeless and for sharing your story about the woman you helped. Very inspiring!

We need to hear from more womens. We know you're out there!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You womens are amazing!

I think the best thing I can say for myself is that I attempt things that scare the crap out of me and refuse to quit until I get through them.

I started racing while still a smoker, and managed 3rd in my AG at my 2nd 10k (8 months after I started running). I also raced a few road & trail 5ks, a super sprint tri, a sprint tri and a half marathon all as a smoker.

I successfully quit smoking with no external aids.

I've finished 3 x 6-hour trail races, and the longest I'd ever run before the first one was 25km/3hrs (I managed 44.2km that day).

I've raced an olympic distance tri and a 50km mtb race in a cast with a broken wrist, and a half iron tri with a nasty SI joint injury. I've continued in a freezing mtb race after a bout of severe hypothermia that needed intervention by the on-course medical staff. I've never had a DNS at a race for which I'm registered, and my only DNF was due to breaking my wrist on course at an off-road tri.

Totals so far - it's my 5th season of racing:
- 1 x track 1 mile
- 6 x road 5k
- 3 x trail 5k
- 3 x road 10k
- 2 x road half marathon
- 3 x trail 25k
- 2 x 3-hour winter trail races
- 1 x road 30k
- 1 x road marathon
- 3 x 6-hour trail ultra
- 2 x mtb race
- 3 x spring classics
- 1 x cyclocross race
- 1 x criterium
- 2 x relay tri (with my husband - I swim & run, he bikes)
- 2 x super sprint tri
- 1 x sprint "indoor tri" (pool swim, computrainer bike, outdoor run)
- 1 x standard sprint tri
- 1 x sprint duathlon
- 3 x 750m-30k-7.5k modified sprint tri
- 2 x off-road sprint tri
- 4 x olympic tri
- 1 x "long course" 2k-55k-13k tri
- 2 x half iron tri

..with another relay tri on the 20th, a 30k road race next month, an olympic tri in September and my first 50k trail race in October.

Not bad for a lazy pothead!

Cheers!

-mistress k

Last edited by: mistressk: Jul 12, 13 7:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In high school I could run ~39 min 10k in training. My senior year I ran a 1:02 15k and a 1:06 10 mile race. In college I ran a 1:35 half marathon. I've run 1:40 off the bike in a HIM. I've gone 5:45 for a 500 free and 19:45 for a 1650.
I have won 3 sprint triathlons, 2 open water swims (1.5k), a couple of 5ks, and two 10ks.
I've done 2 marathons, 3 HIMs, a 20 mile road race, 10k masters open water nationals, and a whole bunch of other shorter races.

Perhaps equally important to me = working on a Ph.D.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: tigerchik: Jul 12, 13 16:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We are all awesome in our own way!

Pre-IM life - up to a blue belt in karate (had the purple and brown to go before black)

Eight IM finishes -
1. IM Cali 00 DNF (sick, wasn't going to make the bike cut-off)
2. Vineman 00 DNF in the 100F heat
3. IM NZ 2001 FINISH just before midnight
4. IM NZ 2002 DNF (injured going in, dropped during the bike)
5. UltraMax 2002 DNF (not trained enough)
-. IM NZ 2003 DNS (recovering from major surgery so I went and spectated)
6. UltraMax 2003 DNF ((got to mile 14 of the run and the next thing I know I was in a lawn chair bundled in blankets, 2 IVs later I was fine)
*Get a coach who tells me straight out that I haven't been training enough and kicks my ass.*
7. CaliforniaMan 2004 FINISH
8. UltraMax 2004 FINISH
9. IM NZ 2005 FINISH (Kona roll down slot)
10. KONA 2005 FINISH (Madame Pele was at the NZ roll down as my mom got to watch me race in Kona before she died)
11. IM Brasil 2006 FINISH
12 IM Brasil 2007 FINISH
13. Vineman 2008 FINISH

Too many 1/2 IM (aka 70.3) finishes to count. Lots of sprint and Oly distance races.

Running -
1 standalone marathon - hard!
Lots of trail races of various distances.
1 6-hour race on a 1K path
1 trail 50K finish

Bike racing -
Too many crits to count
A number of road races
Lots of racing on the track
National championships 2008/2009/2010 (made to podium a number of times)
1 crash + surgery = comeback

Lost 50 pounds.
Relocation stress + too much work - regular working out + injury = gaining too much of that back (but it's starting to come off again)
Bought a house in the middle of all of that.
Signed up for a sprint tri in 6 weeks.
So now hopefully back to the "real me" and training and racing!

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK I'll bite - although I admit it feels funny... :-)

- 4 ultramarathons (3x50k; 1x87k - Comrades)
- 6 marathons (with a 4th in AG at Bellingham Bay)
- 15 half marathons (including a 3rd place AG finish in the provincial championships)
- A LOT of 5-8-10k races with a whack of podiums in there (BMO 8k - 2nd FOA; Brewskidaddle 5k - 3 FOA twice; Mother's day 5k - 3 FOA, etc.)
- 3 Ironmans (IMWA 2005 13:45; IMC 2009 13:05; IMNZ 2011 12:42)
- 10 1/2IMs (Leadman 2nd in AG; Silverman 4th in AG; Spokane X3; Black Diamond X2; Oliver; Vancouver; UBC*)
- Survived AmZof CWD (before it was called CWD) :-)
- 15 Olympics (with at least 3 podiums in there - had a podium at Sooke and one at UBC)
- God at least 20 sprints, probably more, definitely some podiums there.
- 1 XTERRA (fun - interesting - I'd do another)
- 2 womens camps at Xantusia
- 6 open water races (typically 1k, 2.5k) including a 10k ocean swim
- Started, grew and sold one business
- Thinking about another one
- 1 darling daughter by c-section after three straight days of labour (she was being smart: she was breech and her u-cord was very short - if I'd delivered her vaginally, she'd have ripped my uterus apart)
- 2 divorces (1st: married WAY too young; 2nd was classic tri-ath-a-lon story of girl meets sport, girl and boy grow apart) and all the disaster zones that come with that
- Can brew a lot of beer
- Can drink a lot of beer
- Can build a bike up from a box of parts (only thing I can't do is lace a wheel - soon!)
- Paid my entire way through Uni (zero help from any one) when no one even thought I'd get there in the first place (UBC Physics 96)
- Dropped out of high school in grade 11; came back the following Sept and did 13 courses in 1 year to graduate on time
- Have dived in an atmospheric diving (hard) suit
- Have operated a Canadian Frigate (HMCS Regina - they let me drive for 5min! :-))
- Can operate a forklift (though I'm not ticketed anymore)
- Used to be an Occupation First Aid attendant (cert lasped as well)

I can't think of anything else. Now you know 98% of me. :-)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: The "I'm Awesome" thread [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndyPants wrote:
- 2 womens camps at Xantusia

AP

I like that one!! How many have we done? I've been at all of them, plus the November "mini camp" we had once.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: The "I'm Awesome" thread [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I've been to three, but it's been many years since the last one, unfortunately.

There are some impressive race resumes on here. Congrats to all of you for your commitment to racing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm OK but not awesome. :-)

I think the bravest thing I did was move to Japan for three years when I was 24. I knew no one, and didn't read, speak or understand a bit of Japanese. It was a great experience.

I've raced a lot but that's not such a big part of my life anymore. I'm going to attempt to get certified in scuba next week and it kind of scares the shit out of me. We'll see how it goes.
Quote Reply
Re: The "I'm Awesome" thread [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh no, you're awesome. Let's see, just to name a few - you've rescued two dogs (and how many cats?), are my go-to for book recommendations, and you can shoot tequila like it's no one's business. :)

Quote Reply
Re: The "I'm Awesome" thread [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry yer totally awesome. My daughter still asks about the "crepe lady who dresses very nicely..." :-)

Scuba is awesome. I got my cert in Grand Cayman and love diving, don't get to do enough of it. I was scared too, esp. the whole remove your mask underwater, put it back on, and blow it clear... I have trouble equalizing so double dive days are a bit rough/slow on the descent/ascent.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: The "I'm Awesome" thread [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"crepe lady who dresses very nicely..." :-)

Hahah! This made my day. Fashion is always important :-)

OK, I did think of a special skill that I have. I can pick up almost anything with my toes. For example a bobby pin off of a tile floor. That's pretty awesome!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love this! I've been thinking lately how I also down-play my workouts and races because they're "slow". Just because a pace is slow for someone else doesn't mean it's not impressive for me...or at least that's what I'm trying to remember. Plus, I think about how someone slower than me would feel when I insult my own times. We all need to own our accomplishments!

For me, I'm a runner coming into triathlon training for the first time this summer. I'm pretty nervous on the bike, so my biggest accomplishment has been overcoming so biking fears. Taking corners faster than I'm used to, going on group rides, learning to deal with traffic. All these things have been big deals for me! I'm proud that I've stuck with it, even when it's been scary or frustrating. There have definitely been moments when I've wanted to throw in the towel on this tri stuff and focus purely on running again, but I know that would be taking the wimpy way...and I'm no wimp! :)

Beth @ http://www.racingrobsons.com/beth
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi girls! I'm a long time lurker but rarely post. I feel like I know all of you!

History...42 years old. Didn't get into exercise until 4 years ago when I met my now husband. Back then I was a smoker who hadn't exercised since grade 9 PE. Did my first 5k in 2010, have done sprint and olympic distance triathlons as well as running races up to half marathons. I am not a gifted athlete, in fact my motto is "I'm not slow, I'm just getting my money's worth out of my entry fee!"

My husband has done 18 Ironmans (I think) including 6 Konas, and is doing Ultraman Canada this year (JenSw maybe we will meet?) He is very well known in our area. In fact when Steve King called me across the line at a recent 10k race, he said my name and then said "of course we all know her husband <insert name here> is doing Ultraman Canada this year so he isn't here today as he is out putting in the long miles instead". This has happened to me at more than one race. Depresses me that I try so hard and then my accomplishment is not recognized, but his are...:(

ANYWAY...today I am awesome because I survived my longest run ever...24km. It was pretty slow (2:36) and it probably wasn't pretty, but I did it! I'm training for the marathon portion of Challenge Penticton. I couldn't have imagined running another 18km today so I am not sure how I will survive a full marathon in 6 weeks. Only bonus is hubby is swimming and biking so that should leave me something like 11 hours to complete the marathon...;)

Great thread girls. Love reading about all of your accomplishments!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well here goes...

Started racing about 7 years ago. Have done quite few sprint's and oly's, hubby got me into racing. Did my first marathon last year coming off an ankle injury so not spectacular time, but hey I finished. Have completed three 70.3 races, twice at Grand Combian which is a hard race. This past year has been my best racing and I attribute it to my coach and a lot of hard work. Since last October I have PR'd at a half Mary, (local event called trail of terror 2nd in AG) did the Handicap Hangover 5 mile fun run Jan 1st to benefit disabled, went to the Xantusia camp this year in April, participated in the lilac century ride in Spokane in April (did metric century), in May did half marathon locally as a training run, June was a training 30k trail run in Montana (4th in AG) and yesterday did a sprint tri in Hayden,ID (2nd in AG). The rest of the season is an 80 mile fondo next Saturday, and my A race is Challenge Penticton in August. On top of that I am a wife, mom and Pediatrician, so ya I guess I guess I am awesome ;)
Quote Reply
Re: The "I'm Awesome" thread [glowstickgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
History...42 years old. Didn't get into exercise until 4 years ago when I met my now husband. Back then I was a smoker who hadn't exercised since grade 9 PE

You are awesome!
Quote Reply

Prev Next