Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tear Gas / Mace recommendation for a girl
Quote | Reply
Something she can carry around on her key lanyard but is potent. It's really hard to tell based on the Amazon reviews since there are so many products and so few people reviewing them have actually shot an assailant in the face with it.
Quote Reply
Re: Tear Gas / Mace recommendation for a girl [Learn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think reviews from people who've had it shot in their face would be better.

When Iived in Las Vegas and ran at night (when else can you run?) I had one that I bought at the local drugstore. It was for keys, but I carried it when I ran. Never used it, but sprayed a bit of it and walked around in the area once and my eyes teared up. Pretty similar feeling to how my eyes teared up and my nose snotted when I did gas mask confidence training in basic.

Couldn't tell you the name, but it was bought at a drug store, so I doubt it was special.
Quote Reply
Re: Tear Gas / Mace recommendation for a girl [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have some concerns about running with mace. I never have, yet, but often considered it. Running smart and running alert is the option I employ now, but realize that mace could be helpful in certain situations.

My thoughts are that any weapon carried is a weapon an attacker can use on you. Unless you have a clear shot at the attackers' face and an arm free, it does you no good, and in fact, could cause you a lot of harm.

I would like to hear anyone's personal stories with using or threatening to use mace on an attacker, and how effective/useful it was.

Just bringing up the obvious; because someone runs with mace doesn't mean they can just tune out to their ipod and run worry-free.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I carry this:

http://www.defensedevices.com/aspkeydefender.html

As a general comment. It does no good to have pepper spray if it isn't in your hand. I was working an aid station for a race at a park last year. This was wealthy suberbia where one would normally feel safe. There had been an assult n a female runner in the area the weekend before so I was letting people know as they walked in to go for a hike. One woman came walking along, headphones on. I got her attention and mentioned it to her. Her response, "Oh I have pepper spray, I'll be OK." She unzipped the pocket of her jacket to show me, put it back in her pocket, zipped it up and put on her headphones. Uh, OK.

You also need to be anticipatory and spray before they touch you or you will get taken down by it too. And then commit to it, spray the hell out of them, then get the fck out of there. I did a 4 day self defense seminar last year tought by local police and they discourage carrying any weapon unless you are specifically trained to use it and are willing to commit to using it, including pepper spray. No warning shots, go all in.They spent some time with us talking about it. I now have it in my house by the front door too.

Pepper spray devices should come with a practice canister. Use it so you get a feel for how the mechanism works.

A friend in federal law inforcement recommends wasp spray too. Since you can target it very specifically with the straw it comes with it works great through a crack in the car window if someone is trying to get in. And apparently hurts like hell. That is in my car.

The closest I've come to using it was when I was in downtown Seattle about 14 years ago. A crazy homeless guy scalled me a bitch, cunt, whore, ect. then spit on me. I pointed the canister at him and he screamed and ran down the street. I've put it on open display more than once as an FYI but that homeless dude is the only one I pointed it at and would have pulled the trigger if he hadn't run. Scared the shit out of me because I'd never lived in a city before and was intimidated by almost everyone at that point.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Last edited by: JenSw: Jun 19, 12 12:21
Quote Reply
Re: Tear Gas / Mace recommendation for a girl [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I should clarify; she would not ever be running with it. Just walking from her apartment to campus, to the gym, etc. There have been reports of suspicious activity around her school and I want her to have _something_ if she needed it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good idea. Same rules apply running or walking. Again, general comment, I'm sure you've already talked through this with her.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Tear Gas / Mace recommendation for a girl [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok I may be able to help here. I'm a female police officer. I've sprayed it and the other poster was absolutely correct!!!...If it's not in your hand BEFORE something happens you probably won't have time to get it. They are easy to use, just shake can for a second, point and spray. They are basically made from hot peppers so look for a heat rating. I'm not sure if civilians can buy 10% spray but if you find one with that high a percent of active ingredient then buy it. More often they are 5 % which is fine. Also sad to say but if you use it be prepared to also get sprayed a bit. It always happens. There are some that spray in a cone pattern or a fogger. I prefer the old fashioned stream spray. It shoots a straight line of pepper spray. And please keep it in your hand like the other person said.
Quote Reply
Re: Tear Gas / Mace recommendation for a girl [gunnergirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's a link to an example of what I was talking about. Also don't spend a gazzillion dollars on fancy contraptions. It's all marketing.
http://www.pepper-spray-store.com/...-pepper-sprays.shtml
and let me tell you this 10% stuff will do the trick. It burns like hell, their eyes will shut and they will have snot running down from their nose to their shirt. And I'm not exaggerating. (I'm not great at computer stuff so I don't know if this link thing will work)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome advice. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Timely thread. I've been thinking about getting some pepper spray to carry on the bike. I was "drafted" for a while last week by a creepy guy while commuting home. It also never fails, if I get a flat, some creepy guy driving by will stop and offer to "help".

Can I assume that carrying pepper spray in my bento box or on a lanyard around my neck won't do me much good?
Quote Reply
Re: Tear Gas / Mace recommendation for a girl [Krista] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great thread for everyone.

Just a little background/qualifier. I work am a Forensic social worker in the mental health field. I spend a great deal of time in court as well as working directly with clients. Based on my exposure, as well as personal experience, I would suggest the following:

1) Read " The Gift of Fear" by Gavin DeBecker. It teaches the reader to be aware of behaviors that are pre-indicators of violence in a variety of situations.

2) Take a self-defense class taught by law enforcement. ( I took a R.A.D. course) . Just call your local public safety office and ask. These classes are usually available on college campuses as well. You can call campus security to enquire.

3) Whatever weapon you choose,( mace, kubaton, firearm) make sure you can use the weapon for it's intended purpose, proficiently, with either hand.

Thanks to the OP and everyone else who has posted. It is an excellent topic!

-TMT
Last edited by: trimomtri: Jul 9, 12 14:01
Quote Reply
Re: Tear Gas / Mace recommendation for a girl [Krista] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
around your neck is fine and probably bento box too. Mine is in a pouch I must open and remove it from before I use it. The key is anticipation. Woman are taught to be too nice. Don't give everyone the benefit of the doubt. If you have a bad feeling listen to it and be ready! Like the other poster said look for the cues of off behavior. Also know that predators read their victims. DO NOT slouch, look down, or any other cue that says I'm timid. When you are walking swings your arms, stand straight look around periodically, keep head up. These creeps are fantastic at reading body language.
"it's better to be judged by 12 then carried by 6!!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Mean Green pepper spray by FoxLabs includes a green dye that will stain the attacker.
http://www.redhotpepperspray.com/fox-labs-mean-green-pepper-spray.html

Note that their products come in "stream" or "fog" spray patterns. I believe the company recommends the fog pattern for non-professionals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She is right, my man "requires" I carry spray, he to is also law enforcement and has me carrying fox oc, He has had me keep it in a outside easily accessible pocket in my purse or open(not zipped..ect) pocket and if i feel any unease to hand carry it. When I ran in college I carried it in one hand on the path. When on my bike now it is in my bar bag where I can get to it fast if needed. It dose need to be in your hand but honestly sometimes that doesn't work so make sure when it is stored it is somewhere you can get to it fast(be comfortable grabing it without having to look or move stuff to get to it)

try this

http://dtdistributors.com/sapipespkena.html

gunnergirl wrote:
Ok I may be able to help here. I'm a female police officer. I've sprayed it and the other poster was absolutely correct!!!...If it's not in your hand BEFORE something happens you probably won't have time to get it. They are easy to use, just shake can for a second, point and spray. They are basically made from hot peppers so look for a heat rating. I'm not sure if civilians can buy 10% spray but if you find one with that high a percent of active ingredient then buy it. More often they are 5 % which is fine. Also sad to say but if you use it be prepared to also get sprayed a bit. It always happens. There are some that spray in a cone pattern or a fogger. I prefer the old fashioned stream spray. It shoots a straight line of pepper spray. And please keep it in your hand like the other person said.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
interesting and has me thinking as I am getting ready for a long bike trip with just me and a gf
Do not mean to hijack think relevant question-if you spray someone do they have any legal grounds to challenge this? Of course Id hope to react and not think about this, but was wondering.
Quote Reply
Re: Tear Gas / Mace recommendation for a girl [triLA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you can reasonably articulate your fear and what precipitated your actions you should be fine. You are right don't think about the consequences just use it if you need it! Worry about the rest later. Also keep in mind the spray only works for around 3-4 feet so already someone's pretty close to you if you use it. This works in your favor to justify its use.
Quote Reply