Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Swimming During LadyTimes
Quote | Reply
SO, as the title suggests, I'm curious about the group's methodologies/mindests/care-factor for this. We just joined a masters swim class and I bailed on the first week because I didn't feel comfortable trusting a tampon for an hour in the water. My best girlfriend said "fuck it, I don't care if I leak a little". I do.

Thoughts?

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming During LadyTimes [Agilecipher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I cannot swim on Day 1 period (no pun intended). I used to not be able to swim on Days 1-3, but after a few fibroids were removed, I can manage the 2nd onward. As long as I'm on the tail end of the cycle, I've never had a problem with 90min of swimming. But early on, I'll skip it or limit to maybe 40min. I personally would be mortified if I leaked into the pool!

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Diva cup (google it) is perfect for this sort of thing if you have light to moderate flow. It holds 1.5x average monthly flow. Means no stopping to "change" during longer events, too. And it's great for those times when you're not sure if you're about to start.

But if you have untreated fibroids be sure to test discretely first. I once filled it up in less than an hour. :-( Of course, I would have had to um, "resupply" multiple times with super size tampons instead.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming During LadyTimes [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I'm in the same boat as you - first 1-3 days can be a bit unpredictable on flow and I don't like the idea of risking a leak. If it wasn't super heavy, I wouldn't be concerned, but every now and again, it's out of a Steven King movie.

Not gonna lie, diva cup kinda creeps me out (and holy crap would that be messy to take out?!)

Thanks for sharing the perspectives. It's such a relief to have somewhere to ask women-specific q's!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swam competitively for years, swam for 2 hrs, no problems, for me flow usually slows way down while in the pool or when working out at any intensity.

check out my blog http://theswimmingtriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming During LadyTimes [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I've had Day 1 with my special friend for (I kid you not) IMC, IMNZ, two marathons, several half IMs and several half marathons. At least she stayed away for Comrades :-)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming During LadyTimes [SDCali] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SDCali wrote:
Swam competitively for years, swam for 2 hrs, no problems, for me flow usually slows way down while in the pool or when working out at any intensity.
This.

Quote | Reply
travelmama wrote:
SDCali wrote:

This.

Yep, swam competitively through college and never had a problem.

http://smallfoodbiz.com
</blatent self-marketing>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never had an issue with this and would never let "it" stop me from working out in the pool - I'm sure my coach would not consider it to be an acceptable excuse to miss out on a workout. Just use a fresh one right before you get in the pool (make sure the tail isn't hanging out of your suit) and you'll be fine.

Elisha
"Triathlon doesn't build character. It reveals it."
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming During LadyTimes [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri3 wrote:
The Diva cup (google it) is perfect for this sort of thing if you have light to moderate flow. It holds 1.5x average monthly flow. Means no stopping to "change" during longer events, too. And it's great for those times when you're not sure if you're about to start.

But if you have untreated fibroids be sure to test discretely first. I once filled it up in less than an hour. :-( Of course, I would have had to um, "resupply" multiple times with super size tampons instead.

This^^^^ Can't see how a cup wouldn't get you through a swim session. Wouldn't use anything else for training, racing or ever unless I get caught out.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming During LadyTimes [f_ahsile04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I never wanted to be 'defeated' by my period. So I don't let it.
Some of the responses here have been very informative!
I have never had an issue in the pool...even on 1st day
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agilecipher wrote:
Not gonna lie, diva cup kinda creeps me out (and holy crap would that be messy to take out?!)

Thanks for sharing the perspectives. It's such a relief to have somewhere to ask women-specific q's!

I actually feel a lot cleaner and healthier with a cup - it's not nearly as messy as you think and if it creeps you out, you possibly need to pose yourself a few questions about your relationship with your body & its functions. Not saying you need to get as into it as Germaine Greer suggested but getting some visibility and familiarity with what goes on down there can be a good thing. Just sayin'... :-)

Plus they come in different colors!!! Personally I like the MeLuna range - not only do they have a glitter version, they have different styles including, god forbid, the 'sport' version recommended for horse riding and pole dancing. What more could you need? Far more fun than a boring white tampon...

http://meluna.ca/...index&cPath=1_28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the flow is so heavy that you fill a tampon in less than an hour, swim for 30-40 minutes and go the bathroom and change it. This is what we (friends and I) did forever (age 12-22 competitive and to this day as a slug). I have at least 1-2 very very heavy days a month and have to do this whether swimming or running those days still. Periods suck. Any time they mess with my life it annoys me so I try very hard not to let it and changing tampons hourly sucks, but it's better than not exercising for days on end.

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have to chuckle about this - can't wait until the mens who lurk here read this one... yeah, blood in the water - period blood. It happens. And they get skeezed out by snot, hair and pee... ha ha ha ha

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My periods got so heavy that I use the nuvaring continuously - change it every 3 weeks. I might spot but nothing heavy. problem solved.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming During LadyTimes [RockyMtnChic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm really impressed with the variety of answers, though. It's nice to get perspective on an issue of "hrm, I don't trust my body" which is a sucky state of mind!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never thought twice about it but I will say, I do change the tampon right after practice. It gets water logged. I've had my period during IMs and other longer races, I do remember to change it. I've seen other athletes have "mishaps" and don't want that to be me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Instead Softcup. If I'm really concerned, then tampon + cup. Bombproof.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming During LadyTimes [TriGirrrrl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriGirrrrl wrote:
My periods got so heavy that I use the nuvaring continuously - change it every 3 weeks. I might spot but nothing heavy. problem solved.

My doctor gave me Natazia (pill) last year to stop my whining. Holy moly, has that changed my life as far as it comes to training. My periods are practically nonexistent and I no longer have to pause my training or worry about any "pool issues." It's awesome.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming During LadyTimes [katcycle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never tried changing formulas... I'm currently on Microgestin and 1/3 months I'll get SUPERcramps and a heavy start. I handle that (or wimp out and call in sick to work to curl up with my heating blanket and cry) but I'm trying to HTFU on a more regular basis and minimize my plethora of excuses for not swimming. We joined the club a couple weeks ago and I've gone once :/ I even started planning early light dinners and stocked up on chlorine removal shampoo.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of the only good things about getting older is that your periods start to get lighter and shorter. At 46 I never have an issue anymore. Something for you young 'uns to look forward to. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming During LadyTimes [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the second half century of my life and still waiting for that relief. In some ways it's worse--as I never know when it's going to be "lady's day at the ballpark."

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah, the good old days. honestly, getting the hysterectomy was the end of all this crap for me, and i have never missed it for one second.

anywho, for the young lady who suffers from mind blowing cramps, i HIGHLY recommend you get the prescription version of something called Anaprox. shit changed MY LIFE. cramps gone in an hour, and as long as I took it continuously for the first 2 days, i could function. i found the generic version of this to suck, btw. my stepdaughter calls Anaprox "the blue miracle pill".
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming During LadyTimes [sto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sto wrote:
Ah, the good old days. honestly, getting the hysterectomy was the end of all this crap for me, and i have never missed it for one second.

Exactly. Especially with fibroids. Good riddance.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming During LadyTimes [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DawnT wrote:
One of the only good things about getting older is that your periods start to get lighter and shorter. At 46 I never have an issue anymore. Something for you young 'uns to look forward to. :)

not me! I am 50 almost 51 and I torrentially hemorrhage with clots the size of my fist if not on the pill got worse in my 40s - I also do continuous ocps and skip menses altogether - oh so much better
Quote Reply

Prev Next