Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swapping BC as an athlete
Quote | Reply
So...I've been very happily on Amethyst/Lybrel (combo levonorgestrol and ethinyl estradiol) for a long time - essentially since it was first released 15 years ago. I have been happy on it, and don't know anything different.

However, I am now nearly 48 and have migraines with aura. So I've been told it's time to switch because of the risk of stroke increasing as I age.

I was given a choice between an implant or Slynd, and decided to try Slynd (drospirenone) first (I'll take it continuously and skip the inert pills).

Anyone made the swap from a combo pill to progestin only? If so, what was your experience? I'm especially interested in thoughts about/experiences with changes in athletic performance.

I've been told that Amethyst/Lybrel is supposedly one of the worse pills for athletic performance, so I'm (perhaps naively) hoping that I may see some improvement, though I've never felt like Amethyst limited me (of course, I've been on it longer than I've been an athlete, so I don't know any different).
Last edited by: darkwave: Apr 28, 22 15:21
Quote Reply
Re: Swapping BC as an athlete [darkwave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr Stacy Sims does research around this topic. Might not be exactly related to your question but hopefully a start? https://www.drstacysims.com/...traceptive-conundrum
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If a doctor or professional can't help you, there is a lot of information and good advice on a facebook group called "Hit Play Not Pause". Private group of older female athletes navigating menopause and the before and after and all other older lady topics. It's a private group so no male lurkers ; )

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have not done the exact swap you described, but I had been on an estrogen/progestin combo pill for about the same length of time and decided to swap to a non-hormonal method (ultimately ended up with a copper IUD).

It took almost 6 months for my period to restart after I took the last pill, and now that my cycle isn't hormonally controlled it feels a little different. I've been an athlete my whole life, so again a slightly different experience but somewhat similar in that I didn't know anything else. Having fewer hormones seems like I actually have a greater range in how I feel - when I feel good I feel really good, when I feel bad I feel... bad, but then the sort of standard day-to-day feels like its a little better.

I've also had a lot more success athletically since swapping BC, but that may have to do with other lifestyle changes (career change, different stress, etc.). Happy to answer any questions you may have (I'm 31, btw).

KJ
Swim and Triathlon Coach
AllTerrainEndurance.com
KJ@allterrainendurance.com
Quote Reply