Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Summer in the PNW???
Quote | Reply
Is anyone else in the Pacific Northwest ready to throw themselves off a bridge thanks to this weather. It's June - I should not be wearing turtleneck sweaters and heating the house. Open water swims are supposed to start this Friday but at this rate I won't be getting in the lake until mid-July. I cried today when I saw the 10 day forecast and am trying to drown my sorrows in some WA reisling while playing around on lastminute.com pretending that I can afford (time-wise and financial) a last minute trip to someplace warm and sunny. Summer here is why we put up with all the Nov-April rain but right now this is November type weather and I just can't take it any longer.

Someone tell me that this too shall pass...please!

http://smallfoodbiz.com
</blatent self-marketing>
Quote Reply
Re: Summer in the PNW??? [lilpups] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sadly, it will pass. This is my favorite weather! Just got home from a most refreshing run in the light rain and 12 degree weather. I'm a true Vancouverite haha.

Quote | Reply
Unfortunately my evening run was in an utter downpour that lasted an hour and soaked me through. I've never seen my dogs look unhappy during a run!

But I'm a fairly recent PNW transplant so perhaps that's why I have unrealistic expectations of seeing the sun sometime before July 4th. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perhaps now is the time to taste test Trophy Cupcake vs Cupcake Royale :-)

This is really horrible weather. I've been here since 95 and I don't ever remember this weather continuing so late into the summer. I told my husband that is feels like November. This is one of the reasons why I've struggled the last week. Just effing miserable.

I got into Lake Sammamish twice last week. I'm supposed to swim tomorrow but I think we will change our minds when we get there. I don't mind swimming in rain but when the clouds are this low and it is raining this hard the visibility is terrible.

I'm freaked out because the lake at IM CdA is going to be freezing. Short swims in cold water are find but it will be a real challenge to get through 2.4 miles and not get hypothermic.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OMG, it freakin' sucks! I'm sure Seattle is similar to Portland in the "let's welcome June with clouds, rain and freezing-ass temperatures." It's driving me crazy. :-(

(I know I was supposed to say it's going to get better, but maybe it will make you feel better to know that you're not alone!)

M

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Re: Summer in the PNW??? [mdraegernyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You guys gotta embrace this beautiful weather! Runs in teaming down rain? Bring em on - those are my favorites!!
Now certainly the weather doesn't make for great lake swimming, but the swims don't last forever. They are just the warm-up :)

Quote | Reply
It's not the running that I mind. I love running in the rain, it's actually my favorite type of weather to run in, by far. It's the open water swim practice and the cycling that I object to. I need more time in my stupid wetsuit and this weather is not cooperating. *pout* :-)

M

Quote Reply
Re: Summer in the PNW??? [mdraegernyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For me it is just the day to day existance in this shit. Always wet shoes. Cold and damp everywhere. I shouldn't need my sweaters anymore. I have a treadmill and bike trainer for this weather so I get in my training but cold rain here isn't like anywhere else. I love rain in the summer in New Hampshire but rain in the summer here is...well...like this....

Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Summer in the PNW??? [jenhs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A Trophy run may be in order. Plus there's now a new handmade ice cream shop (started by a young female entrepreneur) just down the street from Trophy that is creating a lot of buzz in the neighborhood so perhaps we could do Trophy followed by ice cream. :)

I know that the little lake out in Walla Walla for my olympic last weekend was 54 degrees so I can't imagine what CDA or Lake Stevens (for m and me in a month) is going to feel like. I'm just cranky b/c this year my husband and I committed to only doing tri's up through the first part of July and then take the rest of the summer off to play in mountains/on the coast but I'm feeling woefully undertrained right now and it's creeping into my mind that this tri season - though it may be short - is just going to end up a total bust.

On the plus side, I keep thinking that if it rains this much now it can't possibly rain a lot in late July/August when we're going out to the San Juans and camping on the coast. Right?...it's gotta stop sometime...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Up until this week, I have felt your pain and I live in the Midwest. We are finally just starting to see spring/summer here. And leave it to the midwest to go from 40 to 90 without a couple of weeks in the nice 70s. And thankfully, the spring showers have been during the week and during the day so they haven't impacted workouts too much.

After typing that, I guess I am in no place to complain. Things are finally looking up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've lived in the South Sound area nearly all of 57 years and this is the worst that I can remember.

Jay
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lilpups, if it makes you feel any better, I hear there's a week in August when it almost never rains :-)

I'm not sure the weather is so much different this year. I've been here 20 years and can remember more than one Memorial Day workout that was rained out, and sitting on my couch in August under a blanket.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doh! You just reminded me about Lake Stevens. Why did I agree to do that race again? Better get on finding me a wetsuit.

Quote | Reply
I'm coming up to watch Lake Stevens this year. I know quite a few folks doing it. We'll have to connect somehow.

I swam this morning in Lake Sammamish and it was colder than last week. Maybe 60. And, it was choppy and low cloud cover. In other words, miserable. Ugh.

My poor husband, he can't ride his Harley and it is driving him crazy. Between the both of us the household is pretty unhappy. It is crappy out again today :-(

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw your note on my blog this morning.... that's awesome!
Bearing everything is cool with me staying with Maggs and her friend, we'll be in Mukilteo. I'm going to have to find a way to stay away from the Ivars soft serve. I'm totally addicted to it and can't stop myself when I'm down there (usually stay at the Silver Cloud when I'm there so it being right next door is evil!).

On a happier note for you... I noticed a thread in the other forum that the lake temps for CDA look to be rising and should be pleasant :)

Quote | Reply
Look at the thread again, the article was dated 2007 :-(

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh boo! I didn't really look into it since I won't be there... just noticed. Well that is most unfortunate.

Quote | Reply
We'll have to do a Womens meet-up at Lake Stevens, since there are a number of us doing/watching it. Good for you on getting some open water training - I rode my bike on the trainer this morning because it was too cloudy/gross out.

M

Quote Reply
Re: Summer in the PNW??? [cuds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll do my best at keeping you away from the soft serve place....as long as it isn't w/in walking distance of the hotel I should be able to stay away. Last weekend at Honu there was a cold stone right across from my condo. I went there 3 times over the weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: Summer in the PNW??? [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I took a look at the map and it looks like we will be about 3 miles away from the ice cream. Phewf! I do see some post-race Ivars action happening though :D

Quote | Reply
Sweet! Beautiful forcast for the next 10 days!

http://www.weather.com/...eral/tenday/USWA0395

ugh

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm totally with you. Just sick of it. Way behind in my training. Yea we have our days but not this bad on a consistant basis.
Just the other morning we broke the record for rainfall set back in 1895. We are running 10 degree below normal. Yesterday a high of 59 with rain showers. Rain tonight with snow at pass levels. It not the running though (recovereing from a sprained ankle -slipped on a et rock on trail run) that difficult to deal with. But getting out in the hills, away from home & getting wet no matter what with cool temp, wind etc make hypothermia a real concern. Safer & more reliable though boring to use a CT or trainer in the basement. Barb
Quote Reply
Re: Summer in the PNW??? [BarbBikeTechie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm starting to get a little hysterical. I was watching a bloopers show on TV last night, or was it two nights ago (duh), and I was laughing so hard I started crying. That got my husband laughing which fueled my fire and I almost wet my pants.

I'm seriously afraid of watching any sad commercials because that might just send me over the edge.

I need to get in a 3 hour ride and I'm trying to figure out which day it will rain harder, Saturday or Sunday, because either day I'm sure I'll get wet. blech.

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And the current temp is 49.

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm leaving PDX tomorrow to go ride in the Sierra Century thanks to Oleander on a healing ankle I sprained May 25. Though Oleander had to convince me I won't need rain gear & warm clothes. I am so looking forward to it despite the long drive & the ankle. I will see the sun & get out for a long aerobic challenging ride. Much better than any choice I can see around here.
We have weekly 10 mile TT on Thursdays to which I always ride to due to traffic issues. If I can get myself to go tonight assuming they have it I'm thinking of just riding my mtn bike with road crank on it. Wind is really blowing though.
Barb (in my fleece jacket as I write this)
Quote Reply

Prev Next