Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Suggestions for track workouts half IM?
Quote | Reply
I have a couple of half IMs I am preparing for this year (July and Sept. - Racine and Muskoka). I was wondering if anyone had any good track workout suggestions. I'd like to incorporate track workouts maybe 1x per week or every other week as time permits. I have a local high school track that is a nice 2 min jog away from my house. I totally dig track workouts, but I am at a loss as to how fast is effective, and what to do, etc.
In high school I was a sprinter (100m, 200m) and never 'learned' how do to track workouts for longer distances.

I have been doing about 25mpw this winter with a regular long run of about 9mi. Right now that's all the time I have in my schedule as I am working full time and taking two classes in the evening.

In the next week or two I'll be getting a sub-max heart rate test to determine HR training zones.
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions for track workouts half IM? [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used this training plan from Runner's World for my first half marathon this year. It has beginner, intermidiate, and advanced plans.

http://www.runnersworld.com/...4-258-6851-0,00.html

Maybe it can give you some ideas on interval lengths and pacing. FWIW, I followed the intermediate plan and did the track workouts on a treadmill. Come race day I was very well prepared.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn." - Charles De Mar
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mile repeats work up to x 5
1200 repeats work up to x 6
800 repeats work up to x 8

5-4-3-2-1 (5 laps, 4 laps, 3 laps, 2 laps, 1 lap w/ 400 jog b/w each)

800/400 x 4-6

Those are some that my hubby/track coach had me do. I run a 1:34 1/2 mary and 1:44 off the bike; 42 min 10k, and 45 off the bike..... Not flying, but considering I too was a 200, 400, hurdler (100 & 400) and triple jumper, we're thrilled!

Tiger for Life -- War Eagle!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW, the following was one of coach's classic workouts when I ran high school track, and I still try to do it a couple of times a month when I'm gearing up for a half IM or an Oly:

1. Warm up 1 mile

2. 12 x 400m intervals, with a 400m recovery jog in between each interval. For the intervals, I usually do 3 sets of 4 descending: for example, 400m on 75 sec, 400m on 70 sec, 400m on 65 sec, 400, on 60 sec; then repeat that set twice more.

3. Warm down 1 mile

4. Stretch, go home, collapse.

Given that your weekly volume is 25 miles, at 8 miles this workout may be a bit much and run the risk of injury - maybe try starting with 4 x 400m or 6 x 400m, and work up from there, as time and inclination allow.

And obviously, the times that you're running the intervals on is dependent on your fitness level; the point I try to make in my own workouts is to run sets where each quarter mile is at a faster pace than the last, with the easiest quarter mile being at about 80% effort, and the fastest being pretty close to a dead sprint.
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions for track workouts half IM? [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the exact workout last week, only with 200 jog (about 1 minute) between each 1, 2, 3 of each 4x400 set. I took a complete lap between each set (1-4, 5-8, 9-12). And a bit longer warm up with drills and cool down.
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions for track workouts half IM? [PirateGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sorry, but did you just say you jogged 200m in 1 minute?

Quote | Reply
I'd do a threshold run over a track workout, for HIM training. w/u + 30 min threshold + c/d

On another day do 5 x 60 sec fast inserted into an easy run.

have run 1:40 off the bike doing that (had a bit more run volume than you do, but no track workouts)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply