Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Still running while pregnant and more psoas/lower back pain than usual?
Quote | Reply
Hi ladies,

First go at pregnancy (I'm 13 weeks) and have been sticking to a pretty decent workout routine while dropping back the hours, miles and intensity quite a bit. Am thankful to be feeling pretty good and all is healthy!

Considering I've dropped back my running miles to about 10-15 / wk, it could make sense that I occasionally feel sore after longer (6+ is long right now, lol) runs, but I've never really felt the strange soreness in the front lower part of my hip socket that almost feels like adductors as well. I need to stretch a bit more frequently but did any of you Moms experience soreness in different parts of your body, or in particular in the LPHC? Could it be a bit of round ligament pain as well?

Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Re: Still running while pregnant and more psoas/lower back pain than usual? [mkmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like round ligament pain to me.

No suggestions, but as long as it isn't debilitating or getting worse I wouldn't worry too much. The list of weird aches & pains will only increase as you get more pregnant.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Still running while pregnant and more psoas/lower back pain than usual? [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!

We'll see how it feels tomorrow morning. I think you are right, and so does Google. ;)

Will be interesting figuring out how to keep up the running as the belly grows!
Quote Reply
Re: Still running while pregnant and more psoas/lower back pain than usual? [mkmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not a runner, but I biked until I couldn't physically sit on my bike (maybe 33 weeks?) and then swam until the end. My biggest problem was thinking I was smaller than I was. Hit my belly on the edge of the pool trying to get out more than once, couldn't squeeze through doorways etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Still running while pregnant and more psoas/lower back pain than usual? [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh no! Ouch.

I'm enjoying the spin classes lately so I'd like to keep that up as long as possible, too. I am a slacker where it comes to swimming unless I am with a group. I should get back to that as it will be great exercise in the last trimester.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mkmc wrote:
Hi ladies,

First go at pregnancy (I'm 13 weeks) and have been sticking to a pretty decent workout routine while dropping back the hours, miles and intensity quite a bit. Am thankful to be feeling pretty good and all is healthy!

Considering I've dropped back my running miles to about 10-15 / wk, it could make sense that I occasionally feel sore after longer (6+ is long right now, lol) runs, but I've never really felt the strange soreness in the front lower part of my hip socket that almost feels like adductors as well. I need to stretch a bit more frequently but did any of you Moms experience soreness in different parts of your body, or in particular in the LPHC? Could it be a bit of round ligament pain as well?

Thanks in advance!

I'm not a physician!

IMHO, it could be SI joint instability, which is very common while pregnant.

Proud Representative of Slowtwitch Anti-Atheists Society.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ran through my entire 2nd pregnancy recently, and one thing I found really key was to thinking about engaging your core while you're running. Otherwise, with the added weight distribution out front, your gait starts to change.

All the best!
Quote Reply
Re: Still running while pregnant and more psoas/lower back pain than usual? [scrumhalfgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, ladies!

I tried engaging my core a bit more on my last run and that seemed to help a little bit with the recovery afterwards.

Still, I'm a little concerned as I have trouble walking the next couple of days after very short (3+ mi) runs and the tenderness has moved up to my lower belly. Could still just be round ligament pain, but want to rule out early Braxton Hicks or pelvic instability (which seems strange as I'm fairly strong, but who knows). Seeing a PT on Monday.

Appreciate the advice!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the pain lingers I would definitely be getting it checked out. Hormones mess with all your ligaments/joints, as well as everything stretching & moving. I had some very severe SI issues post kid - be conservative.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lower ab PAIN is not a good sign. When do you see your OB next? I would stop running until cleared by your OB.

FWIW I ran until week 22, rode until week 34, swam until day before. I never had anything close to what you describe until very late in the game when I was huge.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Still running while pregnant and more psoas/lower back pain than usual? [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did mention it to my OB and he didn't seem too concerned. However he is in the "don't do anything that gets your HR above 140 camp". And that was basically his advice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So it's more dull ache than pain I guess? My OB was great, she knew I did a lot of sports and all she said was "Do what you want as long as you feel GOOD doing it (no HR mention). If it doesn't feel good, stop."

Have you checked your posture? It's not uncommon for the back to start to sway/hips roll forward. That will def cause some of the aching you mention. Still concerned that it's making walking difficult after that short a run+recovery. You could also try breaking up your run with some walk breaks. 5min run 1 min walk kind of thing.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Still running while pregnant and more psoas/lower back pain than usual? [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi there - sounds like this may not be the issue, but best to rule it out, as it can become chronic if left unchecked and often flies under the radar – look into pubic symphysis dysfunction (http://www.athletico.com/...s-pubic-dysfunction/)

The pain you'd have would be lower by the front pubic bone - it sounds like yours is higher and deeper, in the abdominal area. But pubic symphysis can refer pain, so best to make sure. It requires special attention to get it under control (happy to share my own story if needed). Again, it doesn't quite sound like you have this, but it's often misdiagnosed, so throwing it out there simply as a thing to rule out.

Congratulations and I hope this dissipates!
Michelle
Last edited by: zhaus: Sep 8, 14 19:32
Quote Reply