Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Starting Period Early when training ramps up?
Quote | Reply
Sorry to be so blunt - but that is why I came to the women's forum! I hear of women not having a period when their body fat gets too low - but I seem to have the opposite issue. I notice it more when I first start training again, I will start my period about 5 days early, and still have my regular cycle. I have been training for 2 years now & at peak volume times it still happens. I am on the pill & have been for a very long time. I am not dangerously low body fat, I'm around 13.4 % and look more sturdy than lean.

Anyone else experience this phenomenon? I have talked to my OB Gyn some - but usually they just ramp up my perscription.

Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: Starting Period Early when training ramps up? [reichardt614] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
reichardt614 wrote:
Sorry to be so blunt - but that is why I came to the women's forum! I hear of women not having a period when their body fat gets too low - but I seem to have the opposite issue. I notice it more when I first start training again, I will start my period about 5 days early, and still have my regular cycle. I have been training for 2 years now & at peak volume times it still happens. I am on the pill & have been for a very long time. I am not dangerously low body fat, I'm around 13.4 % and look more sturdy than lean.

Anyone else experience this phenomenon? I have talked to my OB Gyn some - but usually they just ramp up my perscription.

Thank you!

I'm on the pill, too and what I've noticed is more breakthrough bleeding when I'm training heavily, but I don't know if it qualifies as starting early. I'd talk to a female specific sports medicine person, if you can find one. MY Gyn's pretty clueless when it comes to anything tri-related.

http://aclockworkmango.com
Quote Reply
Re: Starting Period Early when training ramps up? [LuvMyCrappyBike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you, that is more correct - break through vs. starting early. I'll try to pin my Dr. down a little more next time. At least I'm not the only one!
Quote Reply
Re: Starting Period Early when training ramps up? [reichardt614] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also get break through bleeding a couple days before my normal period. However, everybody is pretty much blown away that I'm still having a period because I don't have much body fat on me. Most professionals are guessing around 6-8% whereas I would guess more like 10-12% (They don't count in the fact that even though I have sick pack abs and hardly any body fat anywhere I still have a chest... I'm one of the lucky ones who doesn't completely lose thier chest when body fat drops) .. Didn't mean to lose all my body fat but with my job (landscape desginer/installer) and training I tend to really lean out. If you figure out whats going on let me know. I had to starting taking a different birth control with lower hormones (YAZ) because I was getting super aggressive and the YAZ has made my period only maybe 4 days long... but I get break through bleeding the week before for probably 5 days... Its weird but my doctor doesn't know why and says that they aren't really worried about it as long as I'm having my period. So like I said if you figure it out let me know... :)
Quote Reply
Re: Starting Period Early when training ramps up? [tayjay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will - but no fair on still having a chest at that low body fat!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know I get that a lot... I'm still a size B... not sure how but as my boyfriend says.... When I get measured for my body fat the only reason I'm going to be 10 - 13% is because I still have a chest so they shouldn't be able to count that in my body fat percentage.. hahaha... Otherwise if you look at the rest of my body it looks like I'm carrying maybe 6 - 8%.... Unfortunately I have problems with my back due to genetics so you win some and lose some win it comes to the world of genetics... :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes to the breakthru bleeding and my OB says it's totally fine. Not that you shouldn't talk to yours tho.
Quote Reply