Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sprint Triathlon at 7 months pregnant...any concerns?
Quote | Reply
My wife signed up for a sprint traithlon that is in late August in Albuquerque. She will be seven months pregnant at the time of the race. This is our fifth pregnancy, therefore she feels pretty "comfortable" with how her body will feel. We have concerns in regard to HR, body temp, and potential crashes. She will not be clipped into the bike and is simply looking to complete and enjoy the event. The bike course is a little hilly, and the run offers on big hill.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to respond...Derek
Quote Reply
Re: Sprint Triathlon at 7 months pregnant...any concerns? [Gigantes8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the bike is the concern. I've seen pregnant women swim and run in races all the time, but never biking (except maybe on a trainer). I'm guessing it happens (probably a lot in europe), but maybe not so much in a race. My concern would be dealing with others on the bike course who might bump into her.
Quote Reply
Re: Sprint Triathlon at 7 months pregnant...any concerns? [SpicedRum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I answered over in the other forum.

How about an indoor tri? They do exist.
Quote Reply
Re: Sprint Triathlon at 7 months pregnant...any concerns? [Gigantes8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
August- hot, sprint in Alb. pool? seeded swim start? up and down congested lanes=lots of contact, 7mos preg-your whole center of gravity has changed in addition to other racers especially around the mount dismount line. No way. I read the other main forum thread-sure there are a few who's wives are 4,5 mos but experienced racers. This is your wife's 2nd sprint. (2nd race ever?) I say have her make her own race the day before and just go through it on the same course if she's bent on doing it. I had at the time of my 2nd pregnancy over 9yrs of racing experience and a prior pregnancy. I fell over on a training ride just because I was slowing down anticipating a stop and was turning my head to look behind and check for other riders/cars. That was the center of gravity at play. There is a TON of time to do more races in the future. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is a sprint race worth the risk? I'm 7 months along with my second now and really want to be out there but too much can happen that is not in my control.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I say if it makes her happy & she wants to do it then go for it. As long as she knows the risk, stays within her limits & rides defensively & extremely cautiously, then there shouldn't be any harm. If she's racing for a podium spot then it might be another issue...but if she's just out there to be outside, having fun, doing what she loves & taking it easy then it's a calculated risk.

Life is meant to be lived. You've played this pregnancy game before, she should know better than anyone else what she's taking on.

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what if something does happen? kicked in the swim, fall on the bike, someone else crashes into her? As a sometime race director, i would hate seeing a 7 month pregnant woman signing up to do my race. Is there a special waiver for her. i would have her sign one. That would make me want to ban pregnant women from racing. If she really wants to do something, why can't she do her own race by herself on the course. you could be her support and timer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just not smart....I don't know what you guys are thinking.
Quote Reply