Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sprained Ankle - how to know when to run again?
Quote | Reply
I sprained my ankle last Tuesday, Oct. 28th. I iced and elevated almost immediately, as I was at the gym and the trainer took me straight into a 'recovery room'. I was then able to walk to the car and drive off to work without pain. During the day I kept my leg on my desk and did the ice on ice off routine, basically for the rest of the work week.
It swelled up nice and ugly, and turned all kinds of pretty colors. Then the swelling slowly went down.

Today - the swelling is all but gone, I just have a touch around the outside ankle bone itself.
I have not had any pain during walking at any time during this ordeal.
I rode my bike a little over the weekend and walked around at the park, but that's about it.

So, if it doesn't hurt walking or on stairs or anything except for twisting motions, how do I know when it's ready to run on again?
I am OK with waiting, I don't want to make it worse, but just how do you know how long to wait?
Quote Reply
Re: Sprained Ankle - how to know when to run again? [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know if I'm the best person to respond because I have extremely flexible ankles and sprain my left a few times a year (I did it about 5 times in less than 3 months over last winter and then 2 more times in one day in the spring), but I just run again when the ankle feels ok to do so. If you're pain free, why not? That said, have you sprained it before? If not, you might want to give it just a little extra time so that the scar tissue doesn't get out of hand.

Quote | Reply
I sprained my Ankle in June and it took about 2 weeks until I could run. I stil have problems with it when I run w/o good supportive shoes.

My doctor told me I could start running slow and easy and to ice after runs for a while. I wore a compression thingy on it for about a month when swimming, biking and running...swimming/kicking took the longest to be able to do painfree. He said a little exercise actually helps the blood flow and healing.
Quote Reply
Re: Sprained Ankle - how to know when to run again? [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting that you posted this. Yesterday, while warming up on grass for a 12 mile run, I stepped on a piece of wood and mildly sprained my ankle. It didn't swell up and felt ok after a few minutes. I went ahead and did the 12 miler, but it did start to hurt a bit towards the end. It's much better today but I think I'll take tomorrow off and maybe the next day too. I think if you don't feel any pain you're probably good to go.
Quote Reply
Re: Sprained Ankle - how to know when to run again? [squid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Must be the season. Just did a search to try and get similar info. Completely throttled mine yesterday during a trail run. Luckily I was only 1/2 from finishing...would have been a LONG painful walk from the other side of the park.

Basically run when "It feels better". I'm also guessing biking probably sooner.

Right now I'm having a hard time walking so running is certainly out of the question :-)

~Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Sprained Ankle - how to know when to run again? [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input. I was actually surprised to find I sprained it, since I totally have "GUMBY" ankles. I usually roll 'em and keep on truckin'.
w/o injury or pain.
I'm sure I've sprained it before, perhaps in high school. I think I did a number on both my ankles in high school at some point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As far as when to run again- start slowly and on a treadmill to regain strength. But for rehab/prevention...

Work on your balance like it's your job. Seriously. Spend 15-20 minutes per day standing on one leg. If it's easy, do it on a pillow, if that is easy, do it on a bosu ball. People who turn their ankles are prone to re-injury. Working on balance and proprioception will cut that risk.

:-)

Jodi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I sprained mine in a bike crash in mid september. I had a really bad sprain and couldn't walk at all (on crutches) for two weeks, and am just starting to be able to run normally again, a few miles a day. However, sprains can vary from "ouch i need a day or two off" to weeks and weeks off. Go by how you feel, and if it hurts, stop.

"What am I on? I'm on my bike busting my ass for six hours a day. What are YOU on?" - Lance Armstrong
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ankles do better the earlier you can get moving on them. start with mobility and as soon as you feel up to it run.

---

cat
Sponsored by Suntheanine, Lycored and Celadrin
http://www.lycored.com/web/content/library.asp http://suntheanine.com/Research.cfm http://celadrin.com/pages/studies.php
Quote Reply