Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

So... I need a bike
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking I want to start doing Triathlons. I've ridden around on my old bike from when I was a kid and I'm ready to buy something. I went to a bike shop today and he showed me three bikes. I honestly think they were the only three in the store that fit me, but that's another topic. I'm 5"1 so he put me on 50cm Felts. The bikes are:

Trek Lexa
http://www.trekbikes.com/.../lexa/lexa_compact/#

Lexa SL
http://www.trekbikes.com/...sport/lexa/lexa_sl/#

LexaSLX
http://www.trekbikes.com/...port/lexa/lexa_slx/#

So, my question is: For a newbie who's just getting in to Triathlon, is it worth is to spend the extra cash? I haven't had any luck finding anything used locally that would fit.
Quote Reply
Re: So... I need a bike [A2Manda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
did you put you on felts or treks? i ask because you said felt but then you listed trek.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: So... I need a bike [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oops, I tried Treks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i take it you don't have a bike, or, a road bike, for the highway. and that's what you're getting. and you're not interested in a triathlon bike, per se, rather an all around bike that's specifically for the road.

it's kind of technical, but, there is an article here specifically talking about people just like you, just your height, for the kind of bike you're asking about. the issues this article discusses are not price specific. they're the same issues regardless of whether it's a $1200 bike or a $12,000 bike. and, in fact, felt's bikes address this problem quite nicely.

the article is here. if you want, read that article and post back.

it could be that the shop you went to also carries scott bicycles. those are also a good geometric option, or at least they can be, for someone your height. it could be that down the street 5 or 10 miles is a shop that actually does carry felt bicycles, and i know that they are a good geometric option for you.

so, i would look at the felt F series bikes, i would look at scott's bikes, and i would post back here what you came up with as options.

i would like you to do something else. i want to know what your saddle height is. your correct saddle height. and i want to know it from the center of the bottom bracket to the top of the saddle, midway between the nose and the tail. have the bike shop person tell you this, based on you getting on a bike, on a trainer, in the store.

finally, if there's a bike that you think you might like, i want the bike shop person to put that bike on a trainer, and have you get aboard it and ride it in the shop on the trainer, and see if you find it comfortable. i want you to think about whether the saddle's comfortable, the handlebars, and so forth. whether you're too stretched out when you reach for the handlebars.

just post back here and let me know what you find out about these bikes. this isn't so you can get your money's worth. it's so you can be on a bike that you'll enjoy. i'll have several more questions to ask you, and that you should ask the bike shop person, before you buy anything.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
...this isn't so you can get your money's worth. it's so you can be on a bike that you'll enjoy....

I'd do what he said - the only way you get your money's worth is to get a bike that you enjoy - That will be the one that fits. Not just nearly almost fits, but fits properly. I'd spend the money to get that every time.

Those bikes will all be good for more than just triathlon - they'll get you up hills & mountains too :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah yes, many of us have been where you are right now- trying to find a bike that is affordable and fits. Dan's article will go into the details, and he makes some recommendations for certain brands.

Two things I wanted to point out though. One, the three bikes you listed are all very similar from the geometry side of things- if you want to be thorough I would try other brands as well (see Dan's article for examples of brands and models). The difference in price between those models is mainly attributed to the components of the bike (drivetrain, shifters, deraillers, crank, etc.). In fact I think the frames of two of the models are the same, and the SLX is slightly different (I THINK, I don't know much about Trek bikes).

However, your local bike shop (LBS) probably only carries certain brands. You might already know this, but certain shops will go so far as being "concept stores" meaning they really only sell one brand of bike (not always strictly true), but the entry level bikes that you're looking for will pretty much be one brand.

While there are certainly some differences between the entry level women's/short person Trek, or Scott or Felt or Specialized, one could argue that it is more important to have a good relationship with your local bike shop, rather than what brand you end up with. For example, if one store has excellent customer service and good mechanics but only sells Felts, vs a store that never treats you very well and you don't feel like your questions are answered, but they sell Treks, you may want to go with the former. A good customer-LBS relationship will keep you happy, especially if you don't plan on learning how to tune up your bike yourself, or make any repairs or upgrades yourself. (Which is most people, nothing wrong with that). All I'm saying is that a good bike shop with good mechanics is like a good doctor- you trust them, they help you out, and your whole experience in the sport is better. A good bike shop feels like home when you walk in- everybody knows your name!

So that said, try a bunch of bikes! Maybe shop around to find the bike shop you feel most comfortable with (chances are you'll spend a lot of time there, and spend a lot of money in the future). Listen to what they say, but definitely post back here too, to get feedback from Dan.

And finally, to answer your question about the price range- I mentioned the frames of the Treks you listed are similar across the price ranges, but the components, etc. will be higher quality in the more expensive bikes. It is hard to advise someone here, but you should spend the most you can within your self-determined budget. A higher quality set of components will last you longer, and work better longer.

However, you may end up liking cycling/triathlon SO MUCH that in one year you'll want to upgrade to a time trial bike--- one never knows.

Bottom line, comfortable fit on bike, confidence/trust in bike shop, most important.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should buy my bike. Kidding, it's a TT and you should like you're looking for a road bike.

But, yes, buy something that fits right. It's worth it.

kelly dunleavy o'mara
@kellydomara
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great advice that you have gotten here. Take it.

Learn from my mistake.
When I was ready to pull the trigger for a tri bike, a friend who was really into cycling helped me. Sort of. I live in a smallish town without a lot of options so we got my bike by mail order. It was about 3K, 15 years ago which was (still is) a lot of money for me. It was a beautiful black Kestrel but it was way too big. I didn't realize it, but long rides were incredibly uncomfortable. I had the bike for two years when I went to a bigger city walked in with my bike and the shop owner asked "who sold you that bike?" He recognized immediately that it was too big for me. I'm 5'3". He had me ride some bikes that actually fit and the difference was huge. I ended up selling the frame of the too big bike and falling in love with my little QR that served me well for many, many years.

I rode an XS QR and my Trek road bike is a 48 both with 650 wheels.

Good luck with your search!
Last edited by: QRgirl: Apr 5, 13 7:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 2013 Lexa SLX is actually the Domane frame. Longer wheel base, buit for endurance focus, not necessarily speed. Sonow you need to analyze what is important to you...a more comfortable ride with the benefits of the Isozone (the dealer should have explained that) or lighter, more aerodynamic LEXA SL. But I believe there Might be a wheel upgrade with the SLX. I don't recall.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to agree with everything that is already said - spend time on the bikes both in shop and on the road. A bike that feels great on a trainer might have issues on the toad. Make sure you know what fits before comiting. And definitely try other brands. Things like a degree different in heartiness angle and rake change the handling and feel of the bike.

Once you decided what fits, look at components and pricing. In general them more expensive components are lighter - 105 is the best group (Imo) for durability on the road. (I mostly mtb) Things like wheels, crank arms ans such can add pounds to the bike, which in turn make it harder to push. If you go too cheap the first time, no matter how well the bike fits, it's not gonna be fun pushing around a tank. And that's what matters - are you having fun?
Btw I am 5'4" and ride a 49cm Specialized Roubaix with 700c where. I also have a 51cm Cervelo P3 (but trying to sell that bike!) My mother is 5'1" and is on 650c wheels. So don't let wheels dictate the bike.

Vale!
Tracy T
http://www.thelencoaching.com
Some light reading::: http://www.tracythelen.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So when I was looking for a new bike for my wife who is 5' 0", it was a bit of a challenge. She wanted a road bike, not a tri bike. I actually think it will be easier for you to find a good tri bike over a road bike. At your height, I would start with 650c wheels. They tend be better proportioned to the smaller frame in my opinion.

Take the advise of others here, don't settle on whatever the bike shop has on the floor and may try to push. Your size will make fit a bit more of a challenge than if you were 5' 7"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All good advice here, the best bike is the one that fits. You mentioned being unable to find anything used locally that would fit. If you figure out your fit requirements post them here, I may actually have something that I would let go for a very reasonable price, it's been sitting for a while and I need to move it. However only if it fits is it a good deal.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with the above as well, my first bike did not fit well and was painful on long rides, to the point I dreaded them. My new bike fits me perfect and the difference is amazing! Not to mention the increase in power!
Quote Reply