Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Skin care & training/swimming? r/o
Quote | Reply
Since the boys are having a discussion on this topic right now that includes everything from bar soap to fancy brands, wanted to see what the ladies are using to take care of your skin :)

This time of year my skin is super dry & swimming really makes it worse. Looking for some good skincare to address dryness & help with anti-aging. Any recs?
Quote Reply
Re: Skin care & training/swimming? r/o [Elsa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been using Burt's Bees Naturally Nourishing Milk & Honey Body Lotion on my face. My face gets REALLY REALLY dry. This takes care of it but doesn't leave me greasy.

I also started using 'argan oil' or morocco oil on my hair. You have to be careful with this. I must apply it when hair is wet, and too much will leave the hair greasy... I typically use a spot smaller than a dime and I have below shoulder length hair.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm serious about the petroleum jelly. It's the best. I will also put lotion on my face and than add a layer of petroleum. My skins feels great in the morning. Try it for your swims. My dermotologist recommended it.
Last edited by: TriBeer: Oct 25, 12 11:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
either soap from the herbalist at our farmers' market or dove, plus either curel or aveeno lotion.

having had a cast on for 5.5 weeks, the skin on my left forearm was hyper sensitive for quite awhile and dryness was a huge issue. any other moisturizer would have to be applied 5 or 6 times per day, but curel or aveeno dropped that to once or twice.

i also love tresemme's moisture shampoo & conditioner: http://www.tresemme.ca/Products/Moisture/

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
I teach swim lessons every week M-Th for a couple/few hours each evening. I also usually swim a practice M/W/F mornings, and a lake swim/lessons/coaching (combo or singular) on Sundays...I've GOT to work on my skin & hair. The pool is a salt water/chlorine mix, to top it off.

I use TriSwim shampoo & conditioner most every time I get out of the pool. If I happen to skip the morning practices at least that's only once/day! I'm fairly religious about lotion all over after each shower as well, but I'm far less picky on what it is except for my face. I only use the good old Clinique yellow lotion on my face. I rotate on my body lotion from Vaseline lotion to Australian Gold to Bath & Body Works stuff to Keihl's lavendar lotion. If just out of the pool I use the Swim Shampoo on my body as well.

If I actually get to swim in my own shower at home & not in the locker room at one of the pools, I use Dove stuff - body wash and shampoo/conditioner with Noxema scrubby face wash. Same lotions apply.

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Body Shop olive oil body butter is awesome! I use it on my face and body. It keeps up with cold winters, training and heating with wood.

--------
Trying to fight gravity on a planet that insists
Quote Reply
Re: Skin care & training/swimming? r/o [luckytotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aquashop sell an expensive bar soap for chlorine removal.. it smells a bit bland but it does reduce the eau d'chlorine i ususally wear. i dont' use any soap or product on my face. Body shop shea butter for the body is awesome and plain ol Nivea Creme for my face is great.. and no sodium laurel sulphate either. Keep it simple and your skin will appreciate you for it :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use all sorts of different things. Sometimes I will use Triswim shampoo, conditioner and lotion. Others times and I prefer these, I use Reflectsports products for swimming, the pre conditioner is great and all of their products smell great and their hoo ha ride glide is the best. For my hair when I dont swim I use Garnier Fructis for colored treated hair. I use Neutrogena body sesame oil after I shower and Jergens ultra healing lotion. Recently I bought two big tubs of ponds cream. I have one at home and another one in my swim bag. Its soo rich and moisturizing I even put it on my body after my masters swim at nights. Thats all nothing fancy just simple drugstore items. I have used all the pricey beauty products and theay are all basicaly the same just the price is different.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Curel lotion
Pantene shampoo/conditioner

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Skin care & training/swimming? r/o [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use exclusively Obagi's medical line of face stuff. However, I recommend never using Retin A the night before swim practice. Yeeeowwie!

~~ kate
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am a big one for the Argan oil for the hair once out of the shower. My hair is actually shiny after I use it rather than the pool brittleness.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wash my face ASAP after a swim/bike/run. Even if i have to pour water from my bottle on my face at the car after a ride, I will do it so i minimize the time sweat and salt stay on my face. Sunscreen a must. For face I use a baking soda/coconut oil mixture (paste) to scrub my face 3-4 times a week and only at night. At night I use my most expensive products like those containing Retin-A and other repairing vitamins, since the body heals at night. (dermatologist told me this). Love Philosophy products.
I also use African Black soap (find at Target or on Amazon) on my body. Eczema tends to pop up on me when its hot/humid and this soap absolutely keeps it at bay. I suggested it to a friend who tends to get a little body acne after hot/humid workouts and the black soap stopped it. ALWAYS lotion up after a shower. I like the Kiss My Face body lotions.
Hair; Aveda and Bumble and Bumble. My stylist began putting gentle gloss color treatments on my hair since its really long to protect the color from the pool water. Damage Remedy by Aveda is great for detangling and protects hair.
Hope this helps someone out there!
Quote Reply
Re: Skin care & training/swimming? r/o [stringbean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another vote for Obagi.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
new moisturizer - Burt's Bees intense hydration night cream. I use it as a regular facial moisturizer. Loving it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love Dove body wash after swims. It moisturizes and takes away the smell of chlorine. I don't do much for my hair, I find that with a swim cap it doesn't get enough chlorine to really dry it out.

Beth @ http://www.racingrobsons.com/beth
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ahava day moisturizer with SPF 20. I love this stuff. I used to have a permanent rash on my cheeks and thought it was Rosacea but since I started using this product, it has completely disappeared.

http://www.ahavaus.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Skin care & training/swimming? r/o [slink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
African black soap is great!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My main problem is breakouts on my forehead, which are worse for the sweat and sweatband I wear when biking on the trainer. God Bless Proactiv. Keeps me looking 28 instead of 14.

I also have to use swim shampoo after any pool swim, lest my super-blonde hair become super-green (not unlike the water at my last tri...).

Dealing with super-dry and sensitive (it gets SUPER itchy after swim or just a shower) skin, I am utterly dependent upon Jergens Ultra Healing lotion. When I first started getting what I call "the itchies" (which range from "slightly annoying" to "I'd like to claw my skin off") I tried 20 different kinds of lotion - this is the only one that stops the itchies.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had an older (70s era) swimmer teach me this trick for a post-swim shower, and now I swear by it.

Buy a bottle of cheap creme rinse. Not anything fancy, just old-fashioned creme rinse for the hair.

When you do your post swim shower, get wet and slather said creme rinse all over your skin.

Leave it on while you wash your hair.

Then, rinse it off and shower with soap.

No more itchy chlorine skin - it works like a charm.

This is just for the skin. Can't help you with the hair. Mine's short, so I just use a heavy conditioner and revel in the fact that I'll get the damage cut off pretty soon.

http://aclockworkmango.com
Last edited by: LuvMyCrappyBike: Aug 13, 13 0:03
Quote Reply
Re: Skin care & training/swimming? r/o [BrendaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second African Black Soap. Tangerine scent freakin rocks.
Quote Reply
Re: Skin care & training/swimming? r/o [TammiArts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, and the lotion that Summer Solutions makes - I guess it's just called "Swimmer's Lotion". But, it smells like heaven: http://www.aquagear.com/...er-solutions-lotion/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been using Natural super cream and it works best for my skin. Also it is great for dry skin, sensitive skin, skin redness, itchy skin, psoriasis, eczema & dermatitis. Also can be used on normal skin.
http://purechimp.com/...chimp-natural-cream/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love black soap.

I use Dr Woods. it's the only soap in my shower.

http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Woods-Products-Black-Soap-32/dp/B000WUD83E/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1383924421&sr=8-3&keywords=black+soap
Quote Reply
Re: Skin care & training/swimming? r/o [TriBeer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
as a kid I had terrible face dryness in the winter and that's what my doctor recommended. it worked. Later they prescribed some soap that was ph balancing and it worked great for me too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Face
  • Elemis Tri-enzyme face wash
  • Neutrogena clear pore astringent
  • Kiehl’s avocado eye cream
  • La Mer moisturizing soft cream (I swear by this)

Hair
  • Brazilian Blowout shampoo, conditioner and deep conditioning mask
  • Moroccan Oil deep penetrating oil

Body
  • Dove cucumber body wash
  • Kiehl's crème de corps body lotion (i swear by this, especially being in the pool so much - keeps the skin so supple and soft)

"Though she be but little, she is fierce" ~Shakespeare | Powered by HD Coaching | 2014 Wattie Ink Triathlon Team | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Quote Reply

Prev Next