Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shoulder repair recovery
Quote | Reply
Does anyone here have experience with recovering from shoulder surgery? I had an old fracture pinned and the attachment for the rotator cuff repaired. I'm supposed to be 6 weeks in a sling and am slowly losing my marbles... This sucks.

Any tips on sleeping comfort? Exercises you can do to maintain arm strength but not damage the repair? (I can drink wine with my other arm just fine...) Am I really looking at 6 weeks of no activity?

Armchair doctors (and real doctor) opinions welcome!
Quote Reply
Re: Shoulder repair recovery [SMO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear this - I know what you're going through!!! Shoulders are complicated joints and recovery seems to be tough - my repair was different, so YMMV. I had a Slap II repair and biceps tenodesis in Nov 2008, and I was 48 at the time (on the cusp of the age where my surgeon wouldn't recommend surgery, especially for women, who typically have more difficult recoveries than men). To my surprise, yes, I really spent 6 full weeks wearing a "super-sling" with the little bolster and the ball that I was supposed to squeeze periodically. My first PT sessions consisted of taking my arm out and letting it hang down while I did small circles, and some careful movements by my PT. I have a high pain tolerance, but I ended up going back on some light pain meds to get by. Did your Dr prescribe PT?? I know some Drs prefer to wait until the 6 weeks is up, but mine had me start right away - hopefully you had a surgeon that you trust, so listen to what he/she says! Mine gave me a list of "approved" PTs who wouldn't "mess up" his good work. I slept in a recliner for a couple of months because I couldn't get comfortable lying down. (After I recovered, I got rid of the recliner and haven't sat in one since ;-) I learned to build a little "nest" before I sat down so I wouldn't have to move again - I had an arrangement of pillows, a heating pad for my hips (they hurt from sitting so much), ice for my shoulder, a water bottle, my meds, my phone, and the TV remote. The only exercise I could do was walk, and after a couple of weeks I could get on an exercise bike. It was definitely a low point in my life, but looking back, I would do it again. Before the surgery, I was becoming more and more limited and frustrated. Afterwards, I had some impingement problems and did more PT off and on, and then I started swim lessons with a TI instructor. He helped me tweak my stroke, which solved all of my issues. It took about a year to reach maximum improvement, but since then, I've done 2 IM races. I wasn't the fastest swimmer before, but I don't think I lost anything long-term. There was a website called slaptear.com that was very helpful - even if you didn't have a Slap tear, you still might find useful information or at least people who understand what you're going through. Hang in there, don't rush things, focus on the things you can do - eat healthy foods to help with recovery, walk, go to a race and cheer on your friends - not easy at first, but it keeps you involved - and ask for suggestions from your Dr/PT - can you do any lower-body workouts? Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Shoulder repair recovery [SMO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi there,
As a physio I regularly rehab people with rotator cuff and complex shoulder surgeries. The usual protocol for the surgeons I work with is 6 weeks in a sling and zero muscle use of that arm other than supported elbow flexing extension and Pendular exercises 3-5 times a day as passively as possible (ie swaying the body to gently move the arm, not independently moving the arm). The next 6 weeks is for careful rehab starting with simple resisted static muscle contractions for the rotator cuff muscles in zero degrees of elevation, then progressing to elastic band exercises in low range and progressing up to full range. Then at about 12 weeks post op you can start driving again and 16 weeks is reintroducing sport specific rehab and training. Usually it will take about 6 months post op to be fully active in sport again but probably won't feel loose and totally normal for about 12 months.
Is a long haul but if you do the rehab properly and get your scapulo-thoracic rhythm right and then when you are ready, your swimming stroke analysed to ensure you aren't going to do any damage to the repair, you should do well long term.
Good luck with it, the first 6 weeks is tedious. Try sleeping with a pillow behind the arm to prevent it dropping backwards, and make sure your shoulder doesn't become friends with your ear... Keep it relaxed.
Hope it heals well :)
Quote Reply
Re: Shoulder repair recovery [noodlecat77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you both. This is kind of what I expected to hear - even though I was hopnig for someone to say "burn your sling, it's all a conspiracy!" I'll suck it up.
Any thoughts on IMS in my traps? They are on fire most days even though I'm doing my best to avoid a friendship between my shoulders and ears. Right now I'm doing pendulum and passive lifting - pretty exciting stuff. And while I like the general idea of sleeping in a recliner, so far I've found that building a pillow fort around myself works for now - but I long to sleep on that side... of course.
Thanks for the tips!
Quote Reply