Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Should Women Pace a Triathlon Swim Differently from Men?
Quote | Reply
Here is a triathlon swimming article about women vs men that I thought may be relevant since this is a "women's" forum:

http://www.dobkanize.com/...iathlon_swimming.asp
Quote Reply
Re: Should Women Pace a Triathlon Swim Differently from Men? [rahaa1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For swimming I'm not in the least surprised. Women have lead the pack out of the water on numerous occassions. Would be curious to what they conclude on the bike or run.
Quote Reply
Re: Should Women Pace a Triathlon Swim Differently from Men? [rahaa1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While a 1500 is the same distance as an oly swim - I don't think there can be a really relevant correlation drawn between the top 50 1500 pool times of competitive swimmers and the way that men and women pace a triathlon swim. The data is a bit weak to begin with - though they do a good job or normalizing - it's a fairly small sample at the "top of the heap".

-They aren't looking at athletes that have any other sport to do - they finish the 1500 and that's the end of the race. I race an oly swim a helluva lot different than I race a 1500 Swim. Completely different swimming style and pacing.

-There are distance OW swimming events - they could have taken that data and normalized gender or even found a way to normalize for weather/current differences. It might have been a bit more work, but the conclusions would be much more realistic.

-The data analyzed are european meet results. Not that this makes a huge difference...the water should in theory work the same way over here...but most of this crowd is on this side of the pond.

-The physical differences aren't taken into account that could drive the drastically different approach to training regimens.

-Who cares if women should pace a tri swim differently than men? Only in a few races do we really race directly against them?

I just don't think there's much valid information in the article to really draw any valuable parrallels (sp?) to the way we should approach our training and/or racing. It is interesting, though.

AW
Quote Reply