Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shoe size and trail running
Quote | Reply
I did a short ultra (50k) over the weekend in the Haliburton Highlands, if anyone knows the Haliburton Forest Trail Run in Ontario.

I do lots of stuff on trail - running, hiking, backpacking - though I wasn't trained for the race, it went fine, 36/44 finishers (45 starters). Which is slow, but I figured on being DFL since I was fat and untrained (if a 20k long run back in early/mid-July counts as a long run, that was my long run), plus I was in the hospital with the crazies the week before.

All muscles feel fine now, but my toes are really uncomfortable. Not asking for tips on toe maintenance, but....

I am a size 10. My trail runners are a size 11. This has never been an issue before, maybe the occassional funky toe, that's about it.

Could my shoes be TOO big? Would I be better with a 10.5? Is the extra space causing extra banging? I am planning an long unsupported trail run in October and I'd like to have my feet not be so effed up if I can help it. It's not even the blisters, it's the soreness/bruising I guess.
Quote Reply
Re: Shoe size and trail running [Teags] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shoes too big can have detrimental effects - your toes bang off the inside of the shoe and could very well be causing the soreness you describe. does it get better if you wear thick socks?

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Never had this happen before, so I can't say if it gets better with different socks.

I was wearing medium-weight Injinji socks for the race.

I'm thinking there's simply too much space in the toe box....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hey Teags! yep sounds like a 10.5 would be better...I had this same issue as "everybody" said to go up a size before my first long race and a full size up was way too big
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might try checking out the site below on lace-locking your heals into the larger shoes. As your feet swell throughout the long run, they should fit better.

http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/locklacing.htm

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Shoe size and trail running [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Sally!

Yeah, I thought I was doing good by having the extra space for my feet to swell.

Who knows, since this doesn't usually happen, maybe I just managed to trip/bang my feet that much more this run. Be even more of my usual ungraceful self :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe your running gait was different on the trails than it is on the road.
Quote Reply