Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Self Defense
Quote | Reply
I'm just curious as there have been a recent rash of extremely violent attacks in my neighborhood in chicago, what besides pepper spray is legal to carry? I don't know when I will find time to dedicate to self defense classes but I think it would be nice to have something in my hand....maybe even something that I don't exactly try to hide from view that is both legal to carry and says "don't F with me unless you want to go to the hospital too."

FWIW, I live in Chicago in a neighborhood just west of Lincoln Square. One attack occured in broad daylight at 8:30 AM on a weekday right before Christmas - - even though people immediately came to the aid of the victim, she still ended up with 5 staples in her head and her neurosurgeon thinks her sense of taste "might" come back . . . in a year. The other happened last night to a women who must have caught the train immediately before the one I caught - - and she lives right across the street from me. She was followed off the train and attacked as she was putting her keys in the front door but luckily was able to pull the door shut so her attackers kicked her in the head a few times outside on the sidewalk before another pedestrian must have spooked them. In both instances oddly enough, the perp didn't get the woman's purse which makes me think violence and some kind of sick thrill from beating someone within an inch of their life, was the only goal.

There probably is no real answer to this question......maybe a mini crow bar? What can I do other than lace my keys between my fingers and make a fist?
Quote Reply
Re: Self Defense [Reservoir Cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the el-cheapo carabiners (the ones that specifically say "do not use for climbing") make a decent pair of brass knuckles if you slide them over your hand. a 4' length of chain is a sweet melee weapon, but you do have to know how to use it (as a whip, a garotte, or just wrapped around your hand), and it's a little heavy to carry.

i know where to get collapsible batons, but they also require some skill and generally aren't legal.

maybe one of those personal alarms to attract attention?

cheers!

-mistress k

Last edited by: mistressk: Jan 27, 10 14:07
Quote Reply
Re: Self Defense [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks - - I'm going to go to a hardware store and see what looks good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a chainsaw perhaps? ;-)

Seriously though, it's good to think about "worst case scenerios" and be aware of your surroundings. Trust your instincts and if someone sets off your spidey sense, get out of there!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
C'mon MistressK, you have enough metal in your face to make a pretty decent weapon ;)

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately, just about anything that you might carry in the name of self defense can (and likely will) be taken away from you, and possibly used against you - if you even have the time and range to deploy it. The probability if your attacker being smaller, weaker, or slower than you isn't all that good, and if you are not well trained in the use of whatever it is that you decide to carry, it may very well be more of a liability than an advantage. This is especially true as many people develop a false sense of security knowing that they have "item x" with them for protection.

The absolute best defense you can have is to not allow yourself to get into a bad situation. It's imperfect, as you don't always have control of your surroundings - but you can work on your sense of situational awareness and always maintain a level of alertness - escalating when you feel necessary, and reducing when you are in a "safer" area. Things like earphones and ongoing cell phone conversations take away from your ability to hear what's around you. Don't stare at your phone sending/reading text messages all the time - look around you and try to spot problems before they become problems. Constantly scan your environment looking for things that trip your "shady meter" as well as escape routes. If you wear heels at work, consider leaving them at the office and wearing running shoes for your commute. Try not to flash valuables in public (iPhone, GPS, wallet, etc).

There are lots of companies that prey on the insecurities of women by offering "self defense seminars" and little keychain tools to be used for self protection. Unfortunately, a weekend isn't a whole lot of time to learn things, and under stress, most people forget them. Also, remember that a potential attacker will likely be bigger and stronger than you are. That isn't to say that there aren't useful things that one could pick up pretty quickly to defend oneself, but it's a problem of conditioning the mind and body to react appropriately under stress. I don't feel that a tool carried in one's purse/pocket/hand is "the answer", so to speak.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Self Defense [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excellent response by Khai. Everyone should read it again.

The first thing we learned at the dojo is that your best weapon is your eyes/ears/voice.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Self Defense [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
C'mon MistressK, you have enough metal in your face to make a pretty decent weapon ;)

damn right! :D

..but i'm willing to bet the OP doesn't ;)

on a slightly more serious note, khai does make some excellent points, but i'm surprised one of the most important ones wasn't mentioned - don't allow yourself to look like an easy target!

if you're a potential attacker, are you going to take after someone who is stumbling along the street with their eyes down and shies away from other people, or someone who strides along confidently with their head up, taking in their surroundings?

i've always believed this is why i've only ever had 3 "situations" arise in my years of traipsing through what are considered dangerous areas, often in the middle of the night. if you super-size your presence, you minimize your risk. look like a victim, and odds are you'll be one.

(when situations do arise, though, having taken in your surroundings is a good thing. spinning an attacker's head into a street lamp works very effectively :p)

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
I agree with Khai and K - the most important thing is to be aware and how you carry yourself.

Not quite the same situation as the OP, but I used to run a feral cat trap/neuter/return program that meant I spent a lot of time wandering around downtown in alleys by myself, late at night, in high-drug areas and areas with a lot of 'street life'. The most important thing was what I projected - confidence.
Quote Reply
Re: Self Defense [Teags] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the most important thing is to be aware and how you carry yourself.

short of carrying a 9 MM, this is the best advice. Creeps are more likely to leave you alone if you look vigilant, carry yourself as if you know where every living creature is within 3 blocks and that they better not f*** with you. one of these for 6 bucks wouldn't hurt,either

http://www.sakuramartialarts.com/...2-A1.htm&click=1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
on a slightly more serious note, khai does make some excellent points, but i'm surprised one of the most important ones wasn't mentioned - don't allow yourself to look like an easy target!

if you're a potential attacker, are you going to take after someone who is stumbling along the street with their eyes down and shies away from other people, or someone who strides along confidently with their head up, taking in their surroundings?

i've always believed this is why i've only ever had 3 "situations" arise in my years of traipsing through what are considered dangerous areas, often in the middle of the night. if you super-size your presence, you minimize your risk. look like a victim, and odds are you'll be one.

An excellent point that I left out due to time restraints (I was trying to wrap up the post and make it out the door :p). While nothing is "surefire", this is a very effective tactic to make oneself appear less desirable as a target. Also, if you aren't that confident? Fake it 'til you make it, baby! Head up, shoulders back, and stride. (Just make sure that you're not so preoccupied with looking confident that you ignore my previous advice to be aware of your surroundings!)

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Self Defense [Teags] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>> The most important thing was what I projected - confidence. <<

I call it the "don't mess w/my shit" walk, as opposed to the meek and mild, don't rock the boat walk.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This might sound weird but a good friend of mine, former cop and Army Ranger, suggested wasp spray. You can get in anywhere, it is a targeted spray and can shoot long distances. Really hurts too. I'd never thought of it but now I have it in my car and next to my bed. $6 at any grocery store, you can use it many times and there isn't some kind of special cartridge you need. Totally legal too. The cans are big so they can be easily seen as opposed to a small pepper spray.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Self Defense [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But what if the attacker isn't white?

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Self Defense [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. Also make eye contact with people. If they know you've seen them, they'll know you could identify them as well and are much less likely to approach you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I took a self defense course (actually while living in Chicago) and in addition to what Khai said about being aware of your surroundings they said that if attacked go for the eyes, throat, groin, and soft part of the foot by the toes. Try to gauge the eyes (use your car/house keys if you have them in your hands), a swift punch to the throat, try to knee the groin, and the heel part of high heels are particularly effective on that soft part of an attackers foot.

The course instructors also mentioned that 99% of the time if someone fights back the attacker will leave. Like someone else mentioned, attackers are usually looking for an easy target.

All that being said, be careful out there! Anyway you can try to coordinate to walk to/from the el and around your neighborhood with a friend or two? Not the easiest solution but might help in the short term and hopefully this freak will get caught soon.

(I just reread your message and it sounds like there are several attackers working as a group?)

http://smallfoodbiz.com
</blatent self-marketing>
Quote Reply
Re: Self Defense [lilpups] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes - - it was 3 against 1. Apparently the victim actually noticed them while on the train and was able to give a description to the police. It made me so paranoid now that I just stare a little at folks I don't recognize now who fit that description. Last night's commute home was utter paranoia.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you to everyone for your replies - - all good. About 8 years ago I was mugged at knife pointe and "fought" off my attacker with some good blood curdling screams and pure luck (a neighbor turning on their light....I learned later they were looking for their phone to order a pizza an actually just thought people out back were just horsing around so I guess my screams were only blood curdling in my imagination). I've always wondered how different it would have been had my attacker had a gun instead of a knife as mugging me was clearly a secondary intention based on how this interaction went down...what he intended to do, I had no intention of living through....he definitely wasn't expecting that. Like someone else pointed out, the simple act of not being compliant was pretty much enough....

These attacks that have been occuring in my current neighborhood are startling in their visciousness and apparent randomness - - neither victim was actually robbed. I can't imagine that either victim ever crosses paths with their attacker prior to the moment the attack happens.

As for the incident two nights ago: I do think had they managed to push this lady into her lobby, they would have done a lot more harm then they did...she is very lucky that she managed to pull the door shut. The one two nights ago is disturbing in how premeditated it was - - they picked her out on the train and followed her home and it was THREE against ONE.

I will now be boarding the train car furthest from the exit at my station and taking inventory of everyone getting off - - I actually used to (as in prior to two nights ago), simply hold the gate for folks...they thought I was being polite but I was really taking a good look at everyone getting off the train and standing about the platform - - a hold-over habit that was formed based on my experience I described in the first paragraph. I remember having so many "revenge" fantasies after that experience - - but folks talked me off the cliff then (back then I was in another state and I planned on keeping a handgun under the drivers seat of my car because I was told you didn't need a license to to that)....and you guys talked my off the "going Rambo" cliff today. Thanks much - - I'm a bit of a Klutz so just being aware of my surroundings is definitely the best plan of action for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This sounds more like a long term thing for you, rather than a reaction to something very recent in the news. Have you ever considered training in a martial art? I'd recommend something with immediate street/combat application, such as Wing Tsun, Krav Maga, Escrima, or Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. 3-6 months of moderate to intense training would give you some confidence in basic level skills that would be enough to discourage most attackers. You won't be a black belt, and you won't likely "win fights" - but it would give you some self defense tools and a boost of confidence in your ability to protect yourself. No-one likes getting punched in the throat or having their knee kicked in. Unless the attack is targeted and personal, most would-be attackers will give up and search for an easier victim.

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But what if the attacker isn't white?

haa haa.....good one. I had to think about that for a minute before I got it!!
Last edited by: squid: Jan 29, 10 10:17
Quote Reply
Re: Self Defense [squid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some good responses here from Khai and others. The point about taking a weekend self defense course is perfectly valid. They can teach you what to do but they can't make it instinctual in that amount of time. I used to teach these and we started out with a 9 week course, we couldn't get anyone to sign up for something that long and ended up teaching weekend courses.

Biggest points are to be aware of your surroundings, be confident and stay out of situations that feel wrong even if you can't put your finger on the reason why. If something makes you nervous when you get off the train, change your route, stop for a coffee, walk with a group even if they are going the wrong way. Better to waste some time than get attacked.

As for defenses, no weapon will do you any good without training, and anything you can swing can be taken away and swung at you. I think those little pocket alarms are a good idea. Predators don't want a fight, they don't want to be noticed. Get an alarm and hang it from your purse with any easy to grab lanyard, get in the habit of walking with the lanyard in your hand. Practice pulling it at home. Martial arts relies on doing the same motions over and over until it is second nature, training your "muscle memory". I think that is true for any physical action performed under stress, so practice pulling the lanyard. Practice walking with it in your hand. It always amazes me that people will spend so much time and effort on so many things but can't expend 1/2 an hour teaching themselves to be safe.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Re: Self Defense [Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are several very excellent points raised here.

I used to help teach a college women's self defense course back in college. A friend of mine was my martial arts instructor as well as an instructor for the police academy and used me as "the example". Anyway, one thing he taught was about abductions.

Never, ever, ever get into the car or go anywhere with someone. If a car pulls up along side you, or a guy walks up to you in a parking lot and pulls a gun, run. Run and scream. You have a MUCH better chance at surviving being a moving target in a more public place than where that person is going to take you.
Quote Reply
Re: Self Defense [oktriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to chime in so late. I'm a female police officer and here's my 2 cents. Perps "read" their victims and do so very well. They check out your body language which tells them if you would make a good victim or not. So while doing anything always keep your head up, shoulders squared, look around at surroundings. In other words project confidence through your movements. Also never bend over into your car for any reason. You are very vulnerable.
Ok so now if you do find yourself in a physical or potential attack...Don't be the nice girl you were raised to be. Tell yourself every day that you will fight to the end. This is true for training so make it true for every aspect of your life. Fight like hell and my personal favorite is a really hard blow to the throat. This disrupts air flow and gives you a couple of seconds. Also effective is to poke eyes and a hard cupping of the ears hurts. Oh and don't forget the heel of your palm up their nose. Can send nose into brain if hard enough. Now please I'm not saying this for anytime except when you feel you are in real danger. Remember do anything and nothing is fail safe so don't hit once and hope that's enough. Also sometimes you won't be able to fight or for some reason it may not be your best alternative. Hope this helps.
Quote Reply