Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

San Diego International volunteer report
Quote | Reply
I was in San Diego for a convention this weekend and missed out on an opportunity to participate in this race, so I volunteered instead.

I met the medical director at the convention and he was kind enough to pull some strings to get me a spot (it was sold out), but in the heat of the moment I realized I had NO racing gear with me and couldn't jump on the slot.

director who noticed I was wearing a race shirt "Are you doing the race tomorrow?"
me: "No, as soon as I figured out my logistics, it was sold out"
director: "Do you want to race?"
me: "F*^K YEAH!" (ok I didn't say f*%k, but that was my spur of the moment enthusiasm about racing)
director flips open phone, calls someone important and gets me a spot.
director "You have your bike and wetsuit?"
me realizing the opportunity just slipped away "AH, no"
me realizing I might be able to help out since I can't race: "Do you need anyone to help you in the med tent?"
director: "yes please!"

Long story short, it was a blast to be at the finish line helping out. I've done medical volunteering before, but not since the second San Diego Rock n Roll mary. I had the pleasure of watching everyone finish, some strong, some not as strong, but all were warriors! I'll be honest, more than a few times I felt the "why can't I be racing!!" feeling...

I don't get to meet many pros, but I did get the chance to bandage up Julie Ertel (second female), and she was amazing! I mentioned that Michellie Jones wasn't there, and she said "yeah, she's injured". I said something about that being good for her (Julie) and she told me she wished Michellie was well enough to compete. No ego, no bad feelings, she truly wanted her to feel better so she could race. Wow... She said please and thank you about 100 times. Very cool chick!

It was a perfect sunny San Diego day, and to anyone who raced today (anywhere!), awesome job!!

Great weeks to everyone!

Come crawling faster
Quote Reply