Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Saddle Story
Quote | Reply
I thought I'd post this here, just in case it helps anyone in their quest for saddle comfort.

I've been riding road bikes for over 20 years, and my favorite road saddles are wide, flat, and hard. My current favorite that I have on my road bike, my commuter, and my folding bike is the Nashbar FS1.

I started experimenting with TT saddles and my TT position 1.5 ears ago. I ride 20 - 50 mpw and race sprints and olys. Here are the saddles I have tried. All trials included several weeks of experimenting, adjustments in angle, fore-aft, and seat height, as well as zip tying rails together:

1. ISM Adamo Typhoon. I got it because it was the widest available, and I thought I needed a wide TT saddle (because I have always liked a wide road saddle. Very padded. With any length ride however, the rails felt too wide and I had chafing in the groin and bruising of the thigh adductor insertions. Pros: very plush, feels good at first. Cons: too wide up front, too much padding, too short.

2. Specialized Sitero. I liked this one quite a bit. Firm, flat. My Chinese frame has the seat post quite far back, and I found that the Sitero's saddle rails are too short and do not allow a far enough forward placement. I found it easy to find a comfortable position due to the triangular shape of the saddle, and Iiked the firmness. Pros: comfort, firmness. Cons: rails too short.

3. Fizik Tritone. I got this because it had long rails. But that turned out to be it only positive. It was too narrow on the top of it, and very curved top caused most of the saddle be in between the pelvic/seat bones, causing soft tissue compression and discomfort. Also the seating surface is very very short, and does not allow for much moving around while riding. This was the most painful saddle I have tried. Pros: long rails, firmness. Cons: very very painful, narrow, curved surface.

4. Cobb Joff 55. I had read excellent reviews, and that many women triathletes preferred it. It seemed to have decent rail length for my needs, and a firm flat surface I like. I really wanted this to work. The rails are a bit closer than the ISM saddles. I ended up not liking this because I could not find a place on this saddle that supported the proper parts of my anatomy. If I was back enough to have support on my seat bones, I had too much chafing of the thigh adductors, if I was tilted forward onto the pubic rami, the rails were too close together for me, and I could not get comfortable (and the rails are parallel, so can't really slide forward/backward to find the width you need.) Pros: flatness. Cons: too firm, rails too parallel.

5. ISM Adamo Prologe chinese knock off cheap one. I never had a real ISM prologue, so I can't tell how they compare. Based on pics off the internet, the chinese knock off's have a curved saddle rail. This was very noticeable when riding, and caused a lot of springy bouncing. Comfort was OK, I liked the width of the rails, and could easily find a place on the saddle with the proper width. After longer tides, there was some chafing, and I felt maybe it had too much padding. The flexibility of the saddle rail was a problem and resulted in too much bouncing. Pros: correct width choices and length for me. Cons: too much padding, bouncy curved saddle rail (only on the chinese version I think).

6. ISM Adamo Breakaway. Based on my fake Prologue experiment, I felt I was close to finding the saddle that would work for me: I wanted something similar width/length but a bit firmer padding, thus I chose the Breakaway. And I like it. I like it a lot. Sitting up its just a little narrower than I'd like but that's not a position one is in for long on a TT bike, so its very doable for just climbing, breaking/cornering etc. On the aero bars, I roll my pelvis forward and can slide fore and aft and find various reasonably comfortable spots on the rails that support my pelvic bones. The nose is not too wide for me, and I have not had any signifiant thigh adductor issues. Pros: width, comfort, padding firm enough but not too firm. Cons: limited color choices.

This took me about 18 months of experimentation, lots of online reading and comparisons, and fiddling with my position (including many many stem changes). So don't despair, there is a saddle there for you, too, and I hope you find it.

Update:
7. ISM Adamo Attack. Best so far. So any time I would slide back a bit on the Breakaway (I like to slide fore-aft quite a lot), it would be too wide too quick. I was always under the impression I needed a wide saddle because of my wide hips/seatbones, but this turns out to be not the case. The Attack feels like it is supporting my bone structure perfectly (rolled forward, riding on the pubic rami), and I can ride in several positions (on the nose, on the "sweet spot" or a little bit farther back) with excellent comfort.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Last edited by: DrTriKat: Oct 4, 15 19:41
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle Story [DrTriKat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what have you done with the saddles that didn't work? I've got a saddle/seatpost/stem collection that is getting out of hand.
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle Story [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I sold them on ST or Ebay. I still have a bunch of stems I need to get rid of though. Have you checked the saddle swap thread in the Classified section?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mm thanks!

I've been through at least 4 saddles -- wound up on the ISM podium.

Now I'm going through the same process with running shoes, and use eBay as kind of a lending library to try different models out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got the Podium on both my road and tri bikes -- it's the same shape as your Breakaway, but firmer. I love it.
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle Story [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes - the Podium - Breakaway - Prologue are the same shape, just padding is firmest - medium - softest.

Quote Reply