Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Saddle
Quote | Reply
Any recommendation’s for a saddle? I have been looking at some of the Terry models, but I am not sure if I should go for the race, endurance or fitness model. I am still pretty new to all of this so any feedback is welcomed. I ride anywhere from 25 to 50 miles a day during the week, and it seems like anything over 25 starts irritating my right side sit bone. I figured I would start with my seat – I’m still using the stock seat that came with my bike (like I said, I am new to this)!

Thanks and Happy New Year...almost...
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle [Panndorah] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saddle preference is such a personal thing, but if you're having pain, it's definitely the logical place to start. Do you have an LBS that might let you try some saddles? My LBS has a couple of milk crates full of saddles and they totally let you try them for a few days so you don't have to commit to one to try it. If you don't have an LBS that does that, do you have any riding buddies that might have some saddles you could try? Good luck, such a tricky and super important thing!

Happy New Year to you too :)

--------
Trying to fight gravity on a planet that insists
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle [luckytotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A girlfriend of mine recommended the Terry brand, so I have been perusing their website...I am just not sure which one would suit me best. I guess I could start at the bike shop and see what they have. I am fairly sure they do not carry that brand though. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To begin, I am not an expert fitter, just a long time rider. In the past I have experienced one sit bone sore and found I was able to fix it by simply twisting the seat a little. Even today my saddle horn is not in a straight line with my top tube. Don't know why it worked but it did.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Before you start investing dollars into new saddles, you might want to get a bike fit, or even just videotape yourself on the bike to see if your doing something odd on the bike that results in an imbalance.

I also have been having problems with one sit bone being sore, and it appears to be related to tilting to one side to pedal, overstretching the opposite side.

Just a thought. In my limited experience, saddle problems often have more to do with rider stability and strength and bike fit, and less to do with specific saddles.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri3 wrote:
Before you start investing dollars into new saddles, you might want to get a bike fit, or even just videotape yourself on the bike to see if your doing something odd on the bike that results in an imbalance.

I also have been having problems with one sit bone being sore, and it appears to be related to tilting to one side to pedal, overstretching the opposite side.

Just a thought. In my limited experience, saddle problems often have more to do with rider stability and strength and bike fit, and less to do with specific saddles.

+1

When I had my first bike fit I found out I was a good 1/2" shorter on one leg (my nondominant leg). FWIW, the adjustments for the leg length difference helped me a lot on the saddle.

--------
Trying to fight gravity on a planet that insists
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
luckytotri wrote:
Tri3 wrote:

+1

When I had my first bike fit I found out I was a good 1/2" shorter on one leg (my nondominant leg). FWIW, the adjustments for the leg length difference helped me a lot on the saddle.

Same here. I have a stack of spacers on one of my cleats now to adjust for leg length, as well as my saddle slightly off center and it's made a huge difference!
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle [katcycle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How much of a length difference are you talking about in your legs? I have a small difference, and when I got my bike fit he noted it, but didn't recommend spacers.

Also, to which side is your saddle off center towards? I'm researching for a new saddle now, but wonder if this would be a suitable interim fix.

Thanks so much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a lot of bike shops have test saddles to try before you have to buy..
Though saying that it seems like over the last year or two more and more people are switch to Cobb Cycling or Adamos ISM saddles that have the cut out in the middle to take pressure of soft issue..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
++1
The foot/pedal interface is the 'first' contact you have with the bike. That is how I approach fitting, and oftentimes the pain 'at' the saddle really stems from an imbalance at the feet.
Once you have stability at the feet, the structure above (knees, hips etc) will be properly supported.

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply