Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Running With Dogs [gdesign] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine's a rescue, I got him this July. He's now about 5.

There is no justice, there is only me. -- Death
Quote Reply
Re: Running With Dogs [gdesign] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We waited a year with the younger pup who we got as an 8week old. Our vet told us it's because their bones/joints aren't prepared to take the constant pounding of running versus how they would normally run at that age. By that I mean - watch a puppy run at a dog park/backyard and s/he'll bound, stop, circle, run a step or two, bound again - it's not constant running. To get some of the crazy puppy energy out of our girl when she was about 6 months old we would take her for a run around the block but would let her determine the pace, decide when she wanted to stop and sniff, bound and play with us. Not a constructive run for us but a way of getting some energy out of her when we couldn't take her to the dogpark.

Once she turned a year we were careful to do 90% of the runs with her on trails as we've heard that, depending on the pup's size, the joints and such may not fully mature until the dogs are two years old and wanted to minimize the pounding on concrete.

http://smallfoodbiz.com
</blatent self-marketing>
Quote Reply
Re: Running With Dogs [Sabrekitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ran with HHH a few times, and on one hash, sometime in november, one of the guys brought a pair of probably... 3-5yo german shepards with him- monsters.
He had a 6' leash with clips on both ends that he held in the middle when we were out on roads- let em both off when we were in the woods
Wouldnt you know it, i asked him how many times they've taken out fellow hashers- he said in dozens of hash's they've never taken out a runner
minutes later I was on my ass after one of the monsters barrel rolled underneath me from behind.
Shit was hilarious- thats what I get for asking- the dog must have heard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have three dogs, all rescues, and I take the two females running with me. My only boy is a little too old for running any more. One of "my girls" is a chow mix and she's usually good for about 3 miles and the other is a pit bull and she has gone as far as 7 miles. When they go together I use a tandem leash which makes them a little easier to control. I think the pit bull would run by me without a leash, but they have such a bad rap I don't want to scare any of the neighbors.

In Austin, the day before this year's CapTexTri, they are putting on a Doggie Du. I forget the exact distances, but you and your most loyal training partner swim 0.375km and then run 1 mile...or something like that. I wish just one of my dogs liked to swim so we could do it.

And to the poster who asked about what age to start running with your pup, you also have to be sure that their pads are rough enough to take some pounding, especially when road running. Our vet just told us a horrible story the other day about a puppy with raw paws because his owner started running him too soon.
Quote Reply
Re: Running With Dogs [Sister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have 3 dogs, all rescues, too.

My two adult dogs (both German Shepherds) run with me. My male does long trail runs and some longer city runs (as well as all short distances) with me, but he can be a bit spooky sometimes in the city (he was brought into a country shelter as a puppy and spent 3 years there, and while I've taught him traffic is OK, we have to plan all on-road routes running on the sidewalk facing traffic, after a car jumped the curb at us last winter he's got a real thing about which sidewalk he's on).

My female I've built up her distances, she has hip dysplasia and I actually stopped running with her after her diagnosis (6 weeks after I adopted her) but decided to go slow and start her running again (she also lost a lot of weight after I adopted her and the HD is being treated). She does shorter runs, she's now at the point she can go over 10k on a run. I had planned on not adding to her distances we'd gotten to that point but she loves running so much I'm going to see how far she can go. She's usually pretty slow and I let her pick the pace, except if she sees another dog - she is very aggressive to dogs outside of our pack (always on lead and muzzled outside; I have a special running muzzle for her as well as police muzzle for walks and other stuff) - she gets so excited (in a bad way) by the other dogs I've seen her increase her pace by 50 seconds/kilometer (the dog had gone down a side street, I wasn't letting her run it down, but she was just so excited anyways).

I run my two adults together with a coupler.

My puppy (husky/terrier) is about 11 months old. My understanding is you need to wait for the joints to finish growing/forming before doing high-impact exercise like running w/them, especially on pavement, so I'll be waiting until around 18 months and then starting running. He is a good hiker though and I'm sure he'll be an excellent runner!

Here's my male GSD out on a trail:
http://www.facebook.com/...a3a&id=630190844
Last edited by: Teags: Feb 24, 09 9:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife and I both run with our dog Mac (separately that is, not usually all three of us), an equal mix of trail and street surfaces, on leash and off.

Per the advice of our vet and other dog-runners, we were careful with Mac, and built up his time/mileage slowly after he turned one year old. Running him on the trails and off leash initially seemed to help train him to run on a leash (less stopping, pulling, etc.). He now understands that stopping is not his option, but ours, when he is on the leash. We are also working on verbal and hand signal commands for off leash running. Most of our runs with Mac are in the 25 to 50 minute range, but Mac has many 90 minute plus runs under his collar. The hardest part for him seems to be hot and/or humid weather, so we are very careful with him under those conditions.

I can report that running Mac has lead to considerably better behavior on his part. I can also say that his eagerness to exercise has gotten both my wife and I out the door many times when we would have otherwise bagged the workout. Bottom line - if you run and have a dog, and the dog's health permits, the dog makes for a great training buddy. Now, if I could just run as fast as my dog...

Scrubbie
Last edited by: scrub: Feb 24, 09 19:14
Quote Reply
Re: Running With Dogs [scrub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Now, if I could just run as fast as my dog...

Same here!! :) I'm glad she puts up with my pace!

---
Miles of Life --- Powered by MarkyV
Quote Reply
Re: Running With Dogs [kylie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know my dog can run faster than I can (so can most of you) but today he just dragged behind me unless he saw a squirrel. Makes me worry about him. He simply did not want to do better than an 11min mile no matter how I coaxed him.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Woohoo I love any opportunity to post more pics of my dogs. I run with makaze whenever possible. Not only does she keep up, she runs approximately twice the distance I do. Her longest run so far was 28 km. She carried her ball and ran back and forth up and dwon the trail the ENTIRE time. I have yet to find her breaking point. She is a border (ING ON INSANITY) collie.

In a wildflower meadow in CO.

Trying to figure out how to climb after me.

New Mexico/Colorado border on the CDT.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ooh I hope he is ok!

---
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He probably just needs a day off. Dogs have good days and bad days, just like us.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Running With Dogs [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's true. I tend to worry about my little girl when she is off, but we are newer dog parents ;)

---
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it keeps up for a couple more days then I'd be more concerned.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Luckily no actual issues with this for us so far -- our little girl has epilepsy so there are times we are careful, but running always seems fine with her as it's her favorite thing!

---
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's what I'm thinking. We're both taking a rest day tomorrow, and Friday will be a slow, short run to shake my legs out before Cheaha. If he's still sluggish Friday morning I'll make an appointment for Monday and have the pet-sitter just take real easy, short walks with him Friday night and Saturday. As it is, he was pretty laid back his afternoon and evening walks and is currently curled up as close beside me on the couch as he can get without being in my lap. No other symptoms though, so for now I'm just thinking he's just "not that into it."

Or maybe he's just pouting that I didn't let him pounce on and eat the kitten that tried to come make friends on our walk last night.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have 3 rescue dogs -- one is too old for running, the 2nd is too hyper (german shorthair pointer) but the 3rd is just right. He's pit bull lab mix and is perfectly happy trotting at my side. I always take him when I go trail running -- mostly for protection since we have a lot of mountain lions and a few aggressive elk here, but I love his company. There's a pond we stop at on our long runs in the summer so he can go for a swim. Now that it's getting light earlier we can go running together in the mornings again rather than me running alone at lunch break.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fry T. Dog is my best running buddy. I have taken him on runs as long as 13 miles without a complaint. The only times he doesn't run with me is when I run from work or school or when I do a track workout. It's great for me because I'm an habitually chatty runner which some people (e.g. my boyfriend) aren't into. With Fry, I can just talk and talk and talk and never have to worry about him getting annoyed with me, I just have to worry about being the crazy lady who is talking to her dog.

We did have an unfortunate incident the other day where something startled him about 9 miles into an 11.5 mile run and he bolted in front of me and then between my legs and I went down HARD ripping the skin off of my palm and badly bruising my kneecap. Other than that though, we have rarely had an incident on our runs. He usually pulls for the first 1/2 mile or so but then settles into my pace and is really good about staying to my right and leaving me some slack on the leash so I can still swing my arms.

my severely neglected blog
Quote Reply

Prev Next