Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Running/ training post baby
Quote | Reply
I am currently 3weeks post partum with my first and want to hear some experience regarding getting back to running and training. He was a difficult forceps delivery requiring an episiotomy and on top of it I had a third degree tear. Things are definitely feeling healed but I still get a little discomfort from time to time. My doctor said I have essentially no restrictions, just to ease into activities.

I did very little running after first trimester but did hit the gym for elliptical and light cross training up until 36 weeks when my back couldn't take it.

I hit the gym yesterday and just did some brisk walking and cross training ( 8 pound weights, squats, core) My pelvis doesn't feel nearly ready for running yet. My main questions are what exercises did you do to strengthen your pelvic floor and abs, and how and when were you able to run after baby?

Thanks for any input! Fwiw, I'm only 9 pounds above my pre pregnancy weight but am a lot more flabby/less toned.

Thank you!

Jodi
Quote Reply
Re: Running/ training post baby [Jodi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would recommend easing up on any kind of weight training that requires a lot of abdominal pressure/Valsalva, because your pelvic floor is weak still and you don't want to end up with prolapse type issues. Are you breastfeeding? That does wonders for both weight loss and your body springing back to its previous, less flabby self. Kegels are always good for pelvic floor, do them all day whenever you remember. I'd say you will be able to do your running/walking and start biking by 6 weeks, and you should be mostly "normal" by about 6 months. In reality though, your body will never be the same. :-)

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply
Re: Running/ training post baby [DrTriKat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good call on the weights. I was planning on sticking to the super low weights just to try to get a small amount of toning. I can already tell there is a little bladder prolapse so I'll try to avoid any even minimal valsalva.

I am breast feeding and I have a little boobie monster eating every 2 hours. I feel like a factory but the weight is flying off! I am amazed.

I am ok with never quite being the same. He is so worth it. Love the little peanut. By 6 months we will probably be talking about number two so it may be a long road before my body is mostly back to normal! Just looking for any tips to help things along. Thanks for the reply!

Jodi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the baby!!

I'm surprised your doc said ok to working out at 3 weeks post partum - with or without the 3rd degree tear. Here's my N=1... Most I did post baby at 3 weeks was walks. Slow walks, and very easy hiking trails (not much, if any up/down elevation change). With my first, after 6 weeks, I tried to start running, but had terrible pubic bone pain that took a few months to go away - so running was out of the question until that cleared up. Lots of walking those summers though. I honestly didn't do anything until after my 6 week check up other than walk - then I got back into things very slowly as to not hurt myself! I also bled for almost 6 weeks with both kids pp so I couldn't even hit a pool until that stopped. Swimming was the only thing I actually wanted to do too...

Like DrTriKat said though - things are still very loose everywhere right now for you (pelvis, hips, back) - so be super careful! And kegels, kegels, kegels!!

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Re: Running/ training post baby [RockyMtnChic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!

I'm not sure my doctor was aware of the extent of my exercise addiction. :)

Sounds like kegals and walking it is. I can live with that. Just wish the weather was nicer. Given how fast the past 3 weeks have gone, it will be 6 weeks before I blink. I think the sleep deprivation has something to do with it...

Jodi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
something to think about for months to come - wearing baby on a front pouch (first) and then in a backpack is a fantastic way to build strength that you'll both enjoy. Plus it's a great way to get around places that a buggy/stroller doesn't want to go.

Take care and try not to feel you're losing time with the exercise. In the end you'll get there faster if you don't rush it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As my doctor recently put it: Listen to your body. And actually listen, not the way you normally "listen" when training.

Be very patient. After my first, it was a long time before I could walk very long without feeling like my pelvis was going to explode. The recovery from the second was a lot easier. I did a lot of drawing in practice after #2 (focusing on the transverse abs), and that seemed to help. I also did more frontal and transverse plane work (side lunges, etc.) that seemed to help.

I used a sling and Moby wrap to lug both of mine around and found that very helpful.

Being patient is the hardest part.
Good luck!

Page
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did lots of stair master. Strengthening without the jumping.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I mostly lurk but wanted to jump in here to say congrats and how impressed I am with your energy level 3 wks post partum. My son turned 1 on the 13th and I am still tired. At 3 wks post partum I was still trying to figure out how to breastfeed my son (who was a sleepy eater) so I didn't get to leave my little guy much and any time away was to sleep. I did finally start walking at around 5 wks and did some short runs at around 7-8 wks after he was born. Lots of kegels for sure.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a section with my son (now 19 months).. I started walking (slooowly) week 2 (could not STAND to be in the house!) with him in the jogger on a flat path. At 3 weeks (after I'd been okayed to drive) he and I went by ourselves. We had some latch issues so I always kept some "emergency" formula ready. Problem: 2 miles from the car and he starts screaming and guess what I forgot...water for the formula. SO..I walked as fast as I could (still no stopping) and with a mile and a half left I started to jog back (my baby was screaming and I had milk in the car!) I very slowly worked up from there..had to back off b/c of my knees not being used to my weight for a week or 2, then back up. When he was about 3 months old I pushed him in a 10k. Did 2 half marathons at 1:30 b/w 6-7 months... Now we've moved across the country (to a much different climate) and have had some readjusting.... and am trying to get back into that kind of shape. I was verrrrrry blessed by the ability to come back healthily and quickly. My section healed quickly and without any issues. The key someone said is to listen to your body...and actually listen, not like we do when we're heavy duty training for a goal race.

Recently my body informed me that I was going to have hips. These are unauthorized and thus we've had some words exchanged. But if I'm going to listen, it means I have to listen even when I don't like it :(

I would also say... when you are okay'd to get back in the pool.. DO IT... I put it off and boy I wish I hadn't. Constant resistance while doing cardio... why didn't I realize that!

CONGRATULATIONS on your little one!!! Will be the best time of your life. I just bought my little guy some running shoes today :) he runs anyway, but these look the part! Can't wait to take him today!

Tiger for Life -- War Eagle!

Quote Reply
Re: Running/ training post baby [marcia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ugh, I feel like there is a great woman conspiracy to hide how hard it is to breast feed! We had a very rough first three weeks in that department. Mine was a very aggressive and poor latcher so I started by pumping every 2 hours 24/7, then had to use a latching device, then finally had success in week 3. Now he still nurses every two hours day and night. I do a happy dance when he goes 3 hours allowing for 2 hours of uninterrupted sleep (which is rare). It needs to get better before I go back to work!

Jodi
Quote Reply
Re: Running/ training post baby [KT-tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, you are amazing! Can't believe how fast you got back into it after a section! I'm trying to listen to my body. My incisions are still swelling after activity so I've backed down a lot. Still can't wait to get back at it.

:)

Jodi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hang in there mama!! Breastfeeding can be tough - but if you've made it 3+ weeks and it's getting better - I bet it will only get even better for the both of you! Keep up the good work! I remember keeping a bf log and my dad talking about how much time I spent nursing when he read it! It takes a lot of time and patience! Both of mine were sleep eaters at first - after 5 minutes they were snoozing... took a while to get them to stay awake and finish the job!! Keep up the good work!

Quote Reply
Re: Running/ training post baby [RockyMtnChic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have to echo this. At 4 wks I dealt with a milk blister and the 5 th visit to my lactation consultant. After that it got so much easier. To be honest once we learned how to breastfeed it became much easier than bottle feeding. Hang in there and I hope u start getting more sleep soon.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My second had latching issues and lost weight. That lead to breast feed, bottle, and pump every 3 hours for a few weeks. So by the time I was done pumping it was almost time to feed again. It was awful. Don't be afraid to supplement or switch to formula. It's not ideal, but there comes a point where that is better than running yourself into the ground.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I came on here because I'm 33 weeks with my first. Stopped running as of last week and I'm already nervous about not being able to get back in to my running (and triathlon) life.

I know there is nothing I can do for now - except keep going as much as I can but thanks for posting. Helps me to see the possible future!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It'll come :) and you'll be more thankful for that first 5 mile non-stop run than you'd ever thought imaginable :)

Tiger for Life -- War Eagle!

Quote Reply
Re: Running/ training post baby [khillis33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thought I would update. I can't thank all of you ladies enough for all the advice and kind words! Oscar is 8 weeks this week and it's the first week that I'm doing runs without walk breaks. Just 3 miles at a time but it feels incredible. Went really easy weeks 5-7 and just did 1-2 walk/runs and stopped whenever things didn't feel quite right. I actually feel pretty much myself and am within 5 pounds of my pre-pregnancy weight (mostly thanks to my hungry boy!)

Still haven't been able to fathom getting on a bike though...

:-)

Jodi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's great!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not a frequent poster here but wanted to just chime in. Wow, that's amazing that so early on you have the energy to want to work out. Good for you. I think this just goes to show how different everyone is. I was barely walking with my boy after he was born (he's >2 years now). I tore pretty bad after I had him, so I had annoying stitches down there until my 6 week visit.
I honestly didn't worry about getting back into shape during his first year. I knew my fitness would return with time, so I focused on breast-feeding instead. To me that was important because breast-feeding is only for a short season in your child's life. I was very fortunate to breast feed my son until he was 17 months old when he self weaned.
Every woman is different and has different goals and abilities. I had to go back to work and had to deal with work issues while trying to pump and keep that part of my life going. So because of that, I put training for anything on hold. I did exercise, but it wasn't my focus.
Anyways, whatever your chose, good luck to you. Being a mom is the hardest job you'll ever do and the most rewarding. I think we as moms as toughest on ourselves, so, please cut yourself some slack and just enjoy that bundle of joy. Before you know it they become a toddler who says "no" to everything and all those cuddles become few and far between.
Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats!! First and foremost, you know your body better than anyone. If it feels ok, it likely is. May I suggest Katy Bowman's pelvic floor posts to help you get back on track? I use her stuff with my clients all the time and it works wonders for them. http://www.katysays.com/...ke-our-pelvic-floor/

Kate Galliett
Strength & Conditioning Coach
Creator, Fit for Real Life
http://www.fitforreallife.com
Quote Reply