Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Run coach v Personal Trainer v Women’s Camp
Quote | Reply
I’m beginning to plan my Christmas gift to myself.

I’m investigating a running coach because I want to run another marathon in about a year. I’ve done 8 marathons & have written my own plans for the last couple. I don’t have any particular reason to get a running coach, except I’ve never had one. Maybe it would be good?

I wonder if a personal trainer to help build muscle would be better? My girlfriend across the street does personal training & I need muscle. A mutual friend has had great results from the personal trainer, and I think it would be fun.

I have wanted to do a ST women’s camp (or co-ed camp— I’m flexible) for about 2 years. I think it would be great to get away from my kids and do some good swim, bike & running.

I don’t think I can do it all.

Is there interest in a women’s camp? If we’re all vaxxed/boosted, can we make it happen?

Is it better to get a running coach or personal trainer?
Quote Reply
Re: Run coach v Personal Trainer v Women’s Camp [CallMeMaybe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Running coach vs personal trainer will really depend on your strength goals. There are lots of amazing running coach out there who can provide you with a strength and conditioning (S&C) program that will compliment your run training plan. And there are several good online programs that would help you build some functional strength to help you reach your running goals. For example EC FIT which overs a variety of S&C options designed specifically for endurance athletes. And if you reach out to Erin (the owner) she will gladly help you select the plan that will work best for you. But with both of these options you would have to be self motivated to hit the weight room solo.

Now if you want to power lift or lift super heavy, a few sessions with a personal trainer might be the way to go. They can work with you on form and provide guidance as you start down that journey. I typically lift my heaviest weight of the week when I am with my trainer. She is can provide me on the spot feedback on my form and be there to bail me out if the weight is too heavy.

I work with my trainer once per week and then lift on my own another 1-2 times. I also have an endurance coach who does my daily swim/bike/run programming. My coach would provide me with S&C programming if I asked. I have just found a program on my own that I like doing as it includes some power and Olympic lifting. Prior to working with my trainer, I combined my coaches s/b/r with ECFIT workouts.

And you can never go wrong with a ST Womens Camp. Hopefully we will be able to pull one off in 2022.
Quote Reply
Re: Run coach v Personal Trainer v Women’s Camp [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for your reply!

I don’t know what my goals are— except I know I don’t really want to power lift. I also don’t care at all about running faster— I just need motivation to run for weight management.

I think I’ll investigate the personal trainer since she’s my buddy, do the 100/100, & plan on the Women’s Camp. I really hope the Women’s Camp happens. I think it would be super fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Based on what you just posted, I think a personal trainer is a great way to go. They can get you set-up in the gym and encourage you to get some miles in on the run. Keep us posted on how your sessions go!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let me talk to Monty about camp.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply