Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ruby vs CAAD10?
Quote | Reply
Ladies:

Wife is looking to ride more. She likes riding with me/others, and not so much by herself. We're set to do RAGBRAI for fun, and she thinks she'll need the miles in her legs. She will never see more than 750 miles a year (except for this RAGBRAI year) as she's a runner more than anything.

We went shopping and came across the Ruby. The Ruby is a carbon frame. She likes the 'blue-carbon' color with the gray lace paint. Does this look purple in the sunlight? Does anyone have this color? We couldn't tell in the store in the evening because of the light. The only thing I don't like is that it comes with Tiagra. I was looking to switch this out with Apex. There is an Apex model, but shes not as fond of the color. I was leaning towards the women's CAAD10, but the color isn't right for her (in white and electric green), and I'm not a fan of the 105.

Is anyone here an owner of either of these? Things you like, things you don't? Do you think it's reasonable to pay asking price and expect to get Apex at cost if I pay labor on the install? They move inventory, and make money on the shop side, so it seems like a win-win.

Why am I interested in the SRAM? I run Rival myself, so I want something that we can flip flop if we're in a pinch.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Quote Reply
Re: Ruby vs CAAD10? [Mr. Burns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Caad 10 is a race geometry while the Ruby is an endurance one.

Let her test ride both and see which one works for her
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Ruby with 105 and Ultegra and love that bike. The main thing she needs to remember is the fit is the most important thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally, if she's only going to be riding a few hundred miles a year, and it's mostly for fun or whatever...the Ruby's geometry is probably a better fit.

I'm a Shimano fan, personally, so not much help to you there...except to say again, if it's not something she's riding all the time or whatever, I don't know if having cross-compatibility on your bikes is all that big of a deal. I mean, how often would you really need to swap parts to make the hassle/extra cost worth it?

If color is her most important criteria, why not look at the Dolce? (Alu frame; sora for the black and pink model) Inexpensive, cute, etc, and then spend the extra $$ on accessories.

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Obviously, she should ride both of them. She could also try the Cannondale Synpase. You can get it in aluminum or carbon, and it has a much more relaxed geometry than the CAAD. It should be similar to the Ruby. I like the paint colors, but YMMV.
Quote Reply
Re: Ruby vs CAAD10? [BluffPlace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BluffPlace wrote:
Caad 10 is a race geometry while the Ruby is an endurance one.

Let her test ride both and see which one works for her

I completely agree - those are really different bikes. I test rode both of them when shopping for my road bike and since I have a shorter torso, I found the Ruby to be a lot more comfortable than the Cannondale. Comfy and very nice, just not for me.

I could barely reach the drops on the Cannondale. She should definitely ride them to see which feel she would prefer. Then you can worry about color and components.

Someone else suggested the Dolce, and that might be a really good option. The geometry is, I think, the same as the Ruby, and it might expand your options a bit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FastCat wrote:
I have a Ruby with 105 and Ultegra and love that bike. The main thing she needs to remember is the fit is the most important thing.

+1

The thing I really like about the Ruby is this: (quoting from an independent review)

"Specialized have been incredibly successful in their female specific bike range for a very good reason. That reason is that they cater to Ms Average (of various heights) aiming to provide her with a reliably good ride and a completely female tuned machine rather than a unisex bike dressed in pink."

The bike fits women - not just the geometry, but the saddle & the handle bars too. You never know - get something that she likes and you may find her leaving you at home!
Quote Reply
Re: Ruby vs CAAD10? [blackthugcat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blackthugcat wrote:
You never know - get something that she likes and you may find her leaving you at home!

She loved this comment. Thank you and the other ladies who responded. As you know, it's kinda hard to sort this one out since the bikes are so different (and the criteria for choosing is so odd). If this was a EVO vs Tarmac discussion or something, it would be a lot simpler!

Thanks again.
Quote Reply