Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Road Bikes for the shorter lady (5ft and also wants to do a tri)
Quote | Reply
My girlfriend's bike was stolen and she's currently looking at a replacement. We took her to a bike fitter and the ~44cm frames are still a little too big for her in the 700cc wheel option. She's debating whether to get a frame for a 650cc wheel so that she can get a better fitting bike. She's doing a half ironman this year although definitely wants a road bike as she'll be riding roadie most of the time. So a couple questions:

- Anyone have experience with 650cc wheels? Was it a pain not being able to borrow race wheels from people, getting inner tubes, etc?
- Anyone 5ft or shorter that are really happy with their purchase and want to recommend?
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bikes for the shorter lady (5ft and also wants to do a tri) [dado0583] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am 5'3", and I ride a Felt ZW road bike in Small (45) with 700cc wheels and a Cannondale Slice in OMGTiny with 650cc wheels, both of which I adore. - but I am a little bigger.

It's not the most recent thread, but this is worth a look. Felt stopped making the ZW Petite (43) with 650cc wheels I think after the 2012 model year, but something to bear in mind.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bikes for the shorter lady (5ft and also wants to do a tri) [dado0583] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 5'3" and for my tri bike I have a Felt B12, size 48 w/650c wheels and for road I have a Felt RS, size 48 w/605c wheels. I've owned two road bikes with 700c wheels and never felt comfortable or stable on them so I finally switched my road bike to 650c wheels as well and it's a huge difference. Most bike shops don't stock much in 650c so I buy most of my tubes and tires online... the variety isn't as large but there are still plenty of options for a wide variety of price ranges. I'd recommend she go with 650c wheels - unfortunately most bike brands are decreasing their range of 650c frames but there are still a few around and quite a few available on ebay if you know what bike/size she needs and that it will be a good fit (as always you are taking a gamble buying things off ebay - but we've bought 4 bikes with minimal issues).

Elisha
"Triathlon doesn't build character. It reveals it."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
II am 5'0ish and have two 650 bikes, road and tri. I love my road bike, Trek 2100 circa 2005. For the tri bike, there is no possible way I could have achieved anything close to comfort on aerobars with 700 wheels -- even with 650s and the smallest head tube (stack) possible, Slowman gave me a negative 25-degree stem and I am now only a few cm off the front wheel and John Cobb put me on 145 cranks to compensate. I love that bike even more, but they're no longer making that frame. I have never had trouble with equipment although generally prefer to be prepared myself. My next x many bikes will all be 650s.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bikes for the shorter lady (5ft and also wants to do a tri) [Gee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback y'all. After more research we're leaning towards a 650c bike but the lack of availability in the current market is pretty concerning!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At 5'1" I ride a custom road bike (though it was alot of $$) that is 44 cm. For tri's I ride a P3 by Cervelo. Both bikes are 650c wheels. Some bike fitters will claim they can fit me on a 700c bike, however, I am more comfortable (and therefore faster) on a 650c wheel bike. I buy tubes in bulk so I have them on hand. I have sewups on my tri bike and pre-order the tires (though they are expensive as well). I am very suspicious of bike fitters who claim they can fit me on a 700 c wheel bike plus those bikes tend to have the small frame/big wheels and look funky and possibly have turning radius issues. There use to be some theory that 650c wheels are faster though I believe that has been debunked.
Good luck!
KK
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bikes for the shorter lady (5ft and also wants to do a tri) [Kat_Kong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Is the custom road bike carbon/steel/something else?

We've got some quotes at completely custom steel bikes but they are pretty high cost compared to getting a 700c bike. Very annoying that the bike industry is turning it's back on the shorty mcfortys!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 5'1" and ride a Trek carbon road bike size 45 with 650 wheels. Small cranks 165 and stubby stem. Absolutely adore it, can ride for 6 - 8 hours and still be comfortable on it. Occasionally they come up on ebay etc.

TT bike I ride a Felt DA XS with 650s. Growing to love it as I fine tune the set up.

Felt do a road bike in petite with 650 wheels but very few now available.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,
My road bike is custom titanium. Suppose to be more durable than carbon and lighter than steel (so I was told). I love my custom road bike. Fits me perfectly and is very comfortable. Ditto for the 650 wheel tri bike. Keep looking around for 650 wheel bikes. I think people jump into tri's, buy brand new bikes, etc. and then after they burn out they sell everything on E-bay, Craigslist, etc. (or they upgrade and get rid of stuff to get better things...).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 5 ft and I ride a Wilier Cento Uno in extra small but with 700C wheels. I had 650's on another bike but found it too much of a pain. I have no trouble with the Wilier and must say I am in love <3.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm also 5' with a shorter than average legs. I've got Fuji 44cm with 700c wheels and it is a bit too long. My tri bike is a 650c Felt. I'd take good look at the Ridley Liz in XXS (700c) if you don't go the custom route.
Quote Reply