Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

RoadID questions
Quote | Reply
I'm new to tri; thought I should get some sort of identification since I'm out and about exponentially more than I used to be. I currently carry my driver's license, credit card, and insurance card in my back pocket while riding, but am wanting to get a RoadID also.

So for those of you that have one, here are my questions:

I really like the looks of the Elite - but is the buckle annoying? I have tiny 5.5" wrists, will the buckle be too big? Is it hard to cut/size it right? Is it heavy? Anyone else with girly wrists have it and like it?
If I get the Sport, is it scratchy at all? How adjustable is it (i.e., could I potentially move it to my ankle for swimming)?

Thanks ladies!

-----

"Alice laughed. `There's no use trying,' she said 'one can't believe impossible things.' `I daresay you haven't had much practice,' said the Queen. `When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast!'"
Quote Reply
Re: RoadID questions [FeltLikeTriing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've used the ankle RoadID for years for biking and running and have never had a problem with it. Don't know about the wrist ones only because having something on my wrist would annoy the crap out of me regardless of what it was.

This reminds me that I need to get a new one with updated contact info!

http://smallfoodbiz.com
</blatent self-marketing>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i have the sport wrist one - forget that i'm wearing it most of the time. i bought a size small, which means the strap is *just* long enough to go 'round my 6" wrist; no possible way i'd get it around my ankle, or even overtop of my arm warmer! if you bought a larger size, it could very well work for both.

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
I have the Elite.

I don't have any issues with the buckle - it's been fine for me. I have bigger wrists than you though so I'm not sure how it would sit on someone finer-boned.

But I really like that it's rubberized or whatever, I don't have to worry about sweating getting into it and having to wash it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have small wrists as well, but got the Elite because I much prefer the rubberized material to cloth/velcro. The Elite will go small enough for you and isn't hard to adjust. The only hard part was that I couldn't really get a feel for the size until the excess material was cut off, so had a hard time determining if the next cut was going to be too small. It is a bit heavy and the buckle is a little bigger than I would like, but I don't really notice it when I'm working out. I would like to be able to just wear it all the time so that I don't have to remember to put it on, but it's really too big for that. I suppose that spares me from looking like a total geek at work.

The good news is that RoadID is in the process of designing a smaller rubberized bracelet. I emailed them a few weeks ago begging for something smaller and they told me they hope to have something in the Fall. It will technically be a children's bracelet, but will work for adults with small wrists. I would still recommend that you get something right away, though, and then get the smaller one when/if it's available. RoadID is supposed to let me know when it's available; I'll post here when I hear something.
Quote Reply
Re: RoadID questions [HeidiC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback ladies. I decided to go with the sport, since I do want to wear it all day, but please, HeidiC, let me know if you hear about that smaller rubber bracelet!

-----

"Alice laughed. `There's no use trying,' she said 'one can't believe impossible things.' `I daresay you haven't had much practice,' said the Queen. `When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast!'"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wondering what the advantages here? I carry insurance and small cell phone with ICE contact..what is the purpose of an extra 'thing' to remember?
Quote Reply
Re: RoadID questions [triLA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if your cell is smashed, your ICE contact is useless - this is also prominent (on wrist/ankle), which doesn't require an EMT to go through your contact list on a phone. can have health care info (my ontario health card # is on mine & tanker's), multiple contacts, medical conditions, other pertinent info in a location that emergency care providers will see quickly.

it doesn't require a pocket, and i'd much rather lose the roadID than my health card (which requires a trip to a government office to replace, ie: taking a day off work). actually makes LESS stuff to remember, since i just strap it on and go. seldom bring a cell unless i'm going on a long (>2hr) solo bike ride.

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
The advantage is that: (a) your cell phone/insurance info might not end up with you if you get hit by a car, and (b) emergency workers won't necessarily look any further than your wrist for emergency information; in a true emergency, they've got a lot to do and looking through your pockets then figuring out how to get to your cell phone contacts is low on their priority list. There have been discussions of this on the main forum, the most recent being related to Jordan Rapp's recent horrific accident. Just do a search for RoadID.

A couple of weeks ago, someone on our Masters team had a major medical event during workout. It was awful in so many ways. As the whole emergency was going on, we were searching through his swim bag trying to find his cell phone so we could call his wife. Eventually we came up with his car keys and were able to get his phone. It didn't change the outcome, but it was an additional stress at a difficult time. The team is now encouraging everyone to either wear emergency ID during workout or put something on the outside of their bag so it is easily found. You just never know...
Quote Reply
Re: RoadID questions [HeidiC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ok this all does makes sense...thanks!
Quote Reply