Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Return to training post pregnancy
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

Go easy on me - I've just signed up to Slow Twitch! I'm essentially asking about time scales (and feasibility) to get back to training/racing after pregnancy and would really value some insight. To give you a bit of background...

I'm pretty keen long distance triathlete (as is my husband) and we are keen to start a family. I started off wanting to do 1 Ironman before I had children but then I caught the bug and am currently training towards my third race season in which I had big hopes for PB and possibly Kona qualification. We were originally planning to race this season and then start trying straight away afterwards (probably September, unless by some miracle I qualified for Hawaii), however, now that the pandemic has hit and the race season is a bit of a wash-out so we wondered about starting now. Training and triathlon has really become a lifestyle for us which we love and I would love to keep fit throughout my pregnancy ...My question however is about return to racing post-partum. How long did this take? Is it realistic to consider IM races a few months after pregnancy? Am I just being totally unrealistic and racing will be the last thing on my mind at that stage!? I appreciate that the answers to these questions are highly individual and dependent on many factors, however it would be great to get a rough gauge from the forum.

Many thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Return to training post pregnancy [elg584] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi! First of all, welcome to the Women's!!! I've found this to be a very supportive place.

Second, I'm not the person to answer this question as a triathlete or a mother. I am slow, and I don't do full IM's (yet!), and I'm not a mom. So, take this with a grain of salt. But, I will say that I'm a university professor, and as an almost-40-yr-old in a crazy job, I've watched a lot of my friends enter into motherhood with lots of dreams and plans of pulling it all off, and then shifting things when they go through pregnancy and new parenthood. So much can happen in that process. You could have an easy pregnancy and make it through ok (though I don't see you doing long rides outside at 8 mos.). You could have morning sickness all the time, and get migraines, and deal with infections that knock you down. Your kid could be a dream and sleep through the night immediately, or it could be collicky and just never stop. You just don't know, and you need to at least be prepared to confront new realities as they develop.

I obviously can't tell you what to do, but also a lot depends on all these variables, as well as your own relationship to fitness. If you do that volume of workouts because you love it, if it's an outlet and it's fun whether or not you achieve the dangling carrot of Kona, and you can handle working out that much and possibly missing a race for any number of reasons, then go on. If you have the kind of personality in which it'll feel like a huge let down to undergo that much training and then have complications with the birth and be healing stiches in odd places instead of racing, then you'd make some different decisions.

Formerly GiantNewb, but not such a newb anymore.
Quote Reply