Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Recommend a HR Monitor for my wife
Quote | Reply
Hello,
What are the ladies on the board using for a HR monitor? my only requirements are, HR, speed, distance and WKO+ compatible. My wife's requirements are its not huge, she is small, 5'2" 97 lbs. I just got her a garmin forerunner 50, but so far i am not to impressed with it. She was OK with the size of that.

So ladies, what else do you recommend?

Thanks
Ben

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend a HR Monitor for my wife [nebmot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is really hard to get a nice HR monitor that has a lot of functionality for women. I struggle with it quite a bit and finally gave up on the lot of functionality part and got a Polar F4 for everyday training and I have a Garmin 305 for running outside when I care about measuring distance. I get a lot of good data from that and you can also use it indoors. I don't like the size of it though.

Sorry I'm not much help.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Polar 625X and have been pretty happy with. I particularly like the strap that the Polar's have, it fits me a lot better than the other ones I've either seen or tried. It's hard to find a HRM that isn't honkin' huge, which is my particular problem with the Garmins that I've seen.

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend a HR Monitor for my wife [mdraegernyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
we had 2 625x's and ended up selling them, they were just to big for her.

now that we have played more with the FR 50 it looks like it might work out.

thanks though.

Ben

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First of all, I am sponsored by Timex, so take what I say with that in mind-

I have a Garmin 305 that I haven't used in years. I HATE it. I am a small girl and the damn thing is TOOOOO big. It hurts my wrist. I have been using a cheap Timex HRM for 3 years now and it's great. I swear by it (and this is way before I was on the team)

I can't wait to get the Timex Bodylink. To make the watch smaller, they made the GPS on a separate, small, arm-mounted device. The system is waterproof and for workouts that you don't need GPS, you can just use it as a HRM. There is a review here.

Jodi
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend a HR Monitor for my wife [Jodi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gimme your 305! :P

Quote | Reply
We just got a Polar RS200 for my wife and she's really starting to use it and like it. It's a smaller profile, red in color and doesn't look like the big ugly HR watches you typically see. It still has the ability to download workout results and track progress, which shes really likes. She uses it for spinning, running, aqua aerobics, walking, etc...

It has a lot of functionality and settings so she was a little annoyed when she first started using it (she likes thing simple for workouts) but once she got used to the way it works, she really likes it. You can find them on sale for $140 +/-.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend a HR Monitor for my wife [jarhead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
we were looking at that watch for her online, how does it download to the computer? wireless or usb? does it have to be charged?

thanks

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It uses soniclink, which sounds like a fax machine from your watch. My old Polar S520 did/does the same thing (I'm using the S720i now). You'll need a microphone on your computer for it to work. I picked up a cheap oneat Fryes/CompUSA for $6 and it works like a champ.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you looked at the Garmin Forerunner 405? It's the 305 for people who don't want a 305.

I have a 305 but don't know much about the 405. A friend's petite wife has a 405 and loves it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn." - Charles De Mar
Quote Reply