Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Sex and the City
Quote | Reply
Curious about how many of you intend to see this movie.

If so, how many of you believe that it is reasonable to expect your significant male other to attend with you?

To me, this movie would fall into the realm of "Things a Woman Does With Her Girlfriends".

I do go to "Romantic Comedies" with my SO, but I think the line needs to be drawn somewhere. If I know that there is a movie I want to see that she would have no interest in, I catch it womewhere down the road on DVD.

The endless hype about this movie alone, is more than any man should have to endure.
Quote Reply
Re: Sex and the City [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Me.

I thought it would be fun to go with the GF's, get really dressed up in our sluttiest "Samantha" like dresses and go drink some cocktails before or after or both!

I wouldn't expect a guy to go with me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm with you on this one, Monk. Can't stand the show and have no intention of going to the movie. I don't think your SO should expect you to go see it unless it's in a venue where you can get really drunk. She should go with her gf or wait for it to come out on DVD.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going Thursday with my GF's. We are going to get dressed up and have some cosmo's first. I'd rather go with my GF's.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think there is something, almost, mean-spirited about making a man go see this. I definitely feel that you should not have to go.

Quote | Reply
Not planning on seeing it. Have never seen one episode of the show either.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am definately going and I know a few guys who liked the show who would probably see the movie too.
Anyone in the DC/MD/VA area who wants to go see it?
I like the idea of getting liquored up with Cosmos before and/or after!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If a GF of mine asked me to go, I would consider it, but I would never ever ask the BF to watch something like that. We have pretty fair rules about being able to say "no thanks" to each others' requests when they hold zero interest or approximate the sound of cats dying.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will probably go see it. It is the only TV show that I have seen all the episodes of. And I have a few guy friends who like the show (one I even bought a DVD set of one of the seasons and sent to him when he was deployed) and will go see it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an overnight trip planned with my girlfriends to go see it Friday. We're dressing up, drinking cosmos in the city, staying in a boutique hotel and maybe going to a drag show after the movie. Two of my friends have the SATC box set and are die hard fans so we're planning to have a blast! Anything that gets the girls together for fun works for me!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i will see it probably, but cannot imagine my husband going, unless he just wanted some popcorn and a reason to fall asleep. if he did go with me, i would be on the hook for a 60 minute foot massage and don't really feel like doing that.
i get roped into foot massages enough as it is!
Last edited by: kittycat: May 27, 08 9:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I might wait for DVD on this one but will definitely see it, but would see it with the girls. It would be more fun that way - with or without the cosmos....

---

cat
Sponsored by Suntheanine, Lycored and Celadrin
http://www.lycored.com/web/content/library.asp http://suntheanine.com/Research.cfm http://celadrin.com/pages/studies.php
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you all. I am just trying to prepare myself for the eventuality. I know a relationship is compromise, and that there is joy in doing something that you don't want to do when your SO really wants to. I get that. I actually even feel that selfless joy. Sometimes, though, I think you have to open your shirt and show the hair on your chest--even if it just a small "tuft" in the middle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would never make my BF see it, but it's funny to be watching a rerun and instead of working on the computer, he's watching the show.... He thinks Samantha is hilarious. I can't wait to see it.

Come crawling faster
Quote Reply
Re: Sex and the City [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm, but you love America's Next Top Model and the other reality stuff. Sex in the City was witty, highly entertaining, raunchy and LOL funny. Me thinks you would probably enjoy it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So glad you posted this so I could show the responses to my girlfriend. I am actually going to be a good sport and go see this with her. I don't think it will be that painful but I do want her to see the responses on this thread.

On another note, I do have a few single guy friends that thought the theater would be a good place to, "post up like Shaq in the paint" when the movie opened figuring there would be a lot of ladies there. I do believe the term, "cougar" was also used.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was a big fan of the show, but don't plan on seeing the movie unless a friend really wants to go or I hear REALLY glowing reviews from the ladies here. I wasn't very happy with the way the show ended and the movie doesn't look like it's going to make me any happier.

To address your second question, my husband would offer to see it with me (but he generally likes "chick flicks" - usually way more than I do) if I wanted to go. He certainly wouldn't have to, any more than I HAD to go see the latest Die Hard movie (shudder) but he wanted to see it, so I offered. I guess neither one of us minds seeing crappy movies.

There is however definitely a line and there are movies that I absolutely won't go see under any circumstances (the 9/11 movies, for example) and he knows me well enough that he wouldn't even ask. But you have to decide if this is one of those situations. I consider the going to crappy movies with spouse one of those little niceties of our relationships, so it's pretty rare that I play that card.

(In our various moves, we've lived near his dad and later a friend of his who were actually excited to see this category of crappy movie, so I was spared the task, which was pretty sweet - so if you have an out of her going with other friends that would enjoy the movie, by all means use it!)

M

Oh and Cathy, I second QRGirl's belief that you'd enjoy SATC. At least rent the first season and give it a try, it's in the same brain candy category as Top Model, for sure!

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can women alone make 'Sex and the City' a hit?

http://news.yahoo.com/...FktFdEa9Gj_aqVZX24cA

<snip>

Medved said many women seem to be planning to go in groups. "We are getting a surprising number of requests for group ticket sales from women planning 'Sex and the City' get-togethers," he said.

It's not just the ticket sellers who are noticing the trend. Abbey Greenberg, co-owner of a specialty cookie company, says she's been getting calls by the dozens for her stiletto-shoe creations.

"It's been crazy," says Greenberg, of The Flour Pot, which is based in Ambler, Pa. "They start out by saying they want the shoe cookies. Then they say they need them for May 30th. Of course it turns out it's for a 'Sex and the City' party."

Often, the hostesses say they'll be drinking Cosmpolitans before the movie, too — the favorite drink, as fans of the HBO series well know, of sex columnist Carrie Bradshaw and her pals, Miranda, Samantha and Charlotte. Sometimes the hostesses add that they'll be dressing up in high style, as well.

"This movie just calls out for a girl's night out," says Greenberg, 27, who herself plans to see the film with a group of women, although not opening night, and not specially attired. "I'll wait until it's less crazy," she says.

<snip>

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is the the type of move every guy dreads being asked to see. If we say "no", we're being selfish. If we say "yes", we spend two hours wishing we could gouge our eyes out and then have to find a way to cleanse our memories.
If we say "no", we run the risk of missing the next James Bond movie because we didn't want to see the chick flick. This movie is a no win situation. Having said all the, if she wants to go, I will likely just man up, hold a stiff upper lip and "Yes dear".
Oh, the pain of it all.
j
Quote Reply
Re: Sex and the City [JohnG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh My goodness JohnG....are you my husband? This is exactly how he thinks too! I'm rolling over here!!!
I'll be doing this movie SOLO.....there is no way I would ask him to come. I would be able to sense his rolling eyes, huffing and puffing and maybe even hear his snoring!!

Quote | Reply
My husband and I have an agreement on flicks, if I don't want to see it he'll go by himself or I'll be a good sport. If he doesn't want to go see it we wait for cable. Errr....hrmm.....not sure how that happened.

Methinks I need to have a little chat with him.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll probably go see it because I liked the tv series.
I would NEVER ask my SO or any straight male friends to go.
If you have to sit through that movie, she should have to sit through Alien vs. Predator 2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
its just a movie. I'm a guy and liked the series. sappy chick flicks are worse. At least the tv show had good humour that applies to men and women. I was able to relate to the relationship issues on the show since it doesn't beat around the bush. My gf is a farm girl, tomboy and tough but she loves the glamour and witt of the characters the same way my geekyness loves transformers and superheros.

Last but not least, don't most guys like watching beautiful women? I'd rather watch them than Justin Timberlake.
Quote Reply
Re: Sex and the City [deechee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the same way my geekyness loves transformers and superheros.

Well you and I won't be going to the movies together, either.
Quote Reply
Re: Sex and the City [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Hmmm, but you love America's Next Top Model and the other reality stuff. Sex in the City was witty, highly entertaining, raunchy and LOL funny. Me thinks you would probably enjoy it."

I agree that a lot of guys would like the show if they watched it. How many shows on TV regularly talk about sex? Here is a list of a just a few crazy topics that came up during the shows run on HBO:
1. BJs (Charlotte didn't like to do it)
2. Threesome's (remember Samantha and the two gay guys?)
3. Anal (Charlotte didn't want to try it)
4. Bisexuality (Samantha dated the Latina lady who ended up being too clingy)
5. Younger men (I think they all had at least one of those)
6. Older men (Samantha dated that old guy with the saggy ass. ewwww!)
7. The over eater. Miranda went to Weight Watchers and started dating a guy who loved to go down.
Carrie said to the girls, "She went out with an over eater and he over ate her"! Too funny!
Quote Reply

Prev Next