Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
OK, thinking about getting race wheels - what do you Womens have?
Quote | Reply
I am close to dropping some $ on race wheels, mostly for next year's season, but am completely clueless about such things. I can ask in the main forum, but then we're talking about 6' or taller guys, most who weigh a lot more than me & my bike, most who will just default and say "get Zipp 808s dude..."... so I want to hear from the Womens, what wheels have you tried, liked, hated?

Thx,
AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: OK, thinking about getting race wheels - what do you Womens have? [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't buy them but several coaches and bike dudes recommended Zipp 303s for me since they aren't as deep and I won't be vulnerable to cross winds. If I ever decide to spend the cash, that's what I'll get.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: OK, thinking about getting race wheels - what do you Womens have? [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HA HA I just ordered Zipp 808's.
Quote Reply
Re: OK, thinking about getting race wheels - what do you Womens have? [PC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ahh the irony of it all... I bet they are great. Just curious, what size rider are you (approx)? What helped you decide on those?

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't even have them yet. I just ordered them. I'm 5'6 and weigh 113-116. I decided on them b/c I thought they would look cool with my bike. JK...My bike shop guru helped me choose the Zipp 808's b/c I wanted a powertap and fast wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 5'5 and I have zipp 404s with Powertap. They are awesome ;)

---

cat
Sponsored by Suntheanine, Lycored and Celadrin
http://www.lycored.com/web/content/library.asp http://suntheanine.com/Research.cfm http://celadrin.com/pages/studies.php
Last edited by: CatIsTriing: Aug 19, 08 16:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 5'10" and weigh anywhere between 130-155 and have zipp 404s (2006, dimpled) tubulars.

I'll be looking to sell those soon as I'm upgrading to zipps with a powertap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have Flashpoint 60's. They are nice for racing and durable for training as well - so you don't have to worry about dropping big $$ and only using them 4-5x a year. I use them all season long and take them off for bad weather.
Quote Reply
Re: OK, thinking about getting race wheels - what do you Womens have? [PC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I already have an Ergomo so not looking for a powermeter.... hmmm

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For my 700c bike I had Flashpoint 60s. I bought them for the same reasons as Wingnut above -- great price for a strong durable wheel. However, when I got my P2C it had 650c wheels so I picked up a pair of Zipp 404s with ceramic bearings from the Classifieds Forum. I did a bit of research before I bought them and learned I was limited in wheel selection with the 650 wheels. Plus they couldn't be beat for the price I paid. I have only used them in one race but they seem to be great wheels. I weigh around 120lb

Not to change the subject completely but how do you like your ergomo?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a set of Hed 3's that I love. I picked them up pretty cheap and they've proven to be pretty durable for everyday & racing. Only problem I have is that I want a powertap, but it sounds like you're set on power. I did get blown all over the place on a really windy day, but gusts were up to 50+ mph, so I think any wheels might have been susceptible to crosswinds. Other than that one ride, I seldom notice the wind. I come in at 5'6", 135-145#.

From the research that I've done on race wheels it seems like once your figure out your price range and whether or not we're willing to buy used, it all comes down to the little stuff - what your LBS carries/services, customer service, cost, riding conditions, tubular/clincher, etc. If you ride clinchers, its worth checking out how easy they are to inflate and change. I like that my H3's have a really large cutout for the stem and I can get away without a valve extender, makes changing a flat on the road much easier.

Everyone seems to have rave reviews for the big names. If I was buying another race wheel I would probably go with the 404's just for their versatility.
Quote Reply
Re: OK, thinking about getting race wheels - what do you Womens have? [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like it a lot but I don't use it enough. Well, to be specific, because this year is all about getting back into shape and racing, I use it sparingly and not in sprint races. Because it is installed on my tri bike (Cervelo), and I log most of my non-race-season miles on my road bike (Olmo) I expect to use it more next year as I train for IMC and thus ride the tri bike more.

I could see how 404s for a 650 ride would be a good fit - there's usually good bargains to be had in 650 wheels.

------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: OK, thinking about getting race wheels - what do you Womens have? [FeS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok I love that - no valve extender. Didn't even think about that. Great point, thanks for your post.

Ap

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been running a Renn 575 disc in the rear and a 404 in the front. I was running a HED3 in the front for a while but found that I got blown around a lot with that wheel since it basically acts like a propeller in the wind. A friend suggested that I try the 404 since I only weigh a little over 130 and I've really loved this setup.

my severely neglected blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have 404's (in 650) ... love them & got them used off the ST classifieds ...

my support:

Pacific Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started w/ Alps/H3 combo, then bought a set of 404s. Eventually, I sold the HEds. I wish now I would have kept them. I really loved those wheels. I think the 404s are probably the multipurpose race wheel, but I did like the versitility of having both.

Were I only going to have one, though...I'd say 404s. Light, stiff, responsive. The Heds were nice, but a bit heavier, and I was always faster on the 404s, except on the flattest of courses.

Look to ebay--you can get some good deals there, esp. if you are still riding 650s.

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: OK, thinking about getting race wheels - what do you Womens have? [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GhiaGirl: Do you only race with your 404s or train on them sometimes too?
Quote Reply
Re: OK, thinking about getting race wheels - what do you Womens have? [mmrocker13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have zipp 303 rims with american classic hubs and DT Swiss spokes, titanium skewers.
My husband built them for me special.
We also have a Renn disc that I have only used a couple of times, I prefer the 303s. They are SUPER light.
I'm 5'5" and about 130.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm on Zipp 808's and love them. I can feel the wind some days but have never felt they were out of control for me. Peronally, I don't notice a difference in weight from my previous wheels which were the 404's.
Quote Reply
Re: OK, thinking about getting race wheels - what do you Womens have? [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
    Zipp 404s or should I say the Elite equivalent for my Elite. I rode for four years before buying race wheels. They do make a difference. I take them off to train.

member CupCake Cartel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hemmed and hawed for a couple of years(!) before buying my 1st set of race wheels. Based on my weight (114-118) and course selection (usually hilly) I started with old Velomax Ascents. They were not aero, but were the lightest clinchers made at the time and served me well on many a hilly, windy course. Next set was Reynolds Stratus ultra-lights and I was, again, very happy.........not super aero, but deep enough, and very light.

When I bought my new bike (Felt B2 Pro), it came with 606's and I was planning to use either them or the Reynolds depending on the course particulars. However, most-wonderful-sherpa-in-the-world surprised me with a Sub-9 disc for my 50th. (I know seems silly for an old lady to be riding a disc) Unfortunately, I have only raced it once (a 40K PR) before back surgery..............but one of my coaching partners is really enjoying it as he races his way to short course NATS. :-)

I think the bottom line is to figure out your budget, do some (but not too much) research, consider your personal style and needs, narrow the field, borrow some to try if you can, and then just make a decision, don't second guess yourself and enjoy the heck outta those wheels!

G

It's a little like wrestling a gorilla.........you don't stop when you're tired.........you stop when the gorilla is tired.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife is 5'4" and under 120 lbs. She has Zipp 404's. She uses them at almost every race unless it's really windy.

I'd also suggest picking up a custom cut disc cover from wheelbuilder.com for about $100. Then you can also have the option of a rear disc.
Quote Reply
Re: OK, thinking about getting race wheels - what do you Womens have? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 404s seem to be popular with the womens. On what wheels does she train?
Quote Reply
Re: OK, thinking about getting race wheels - what do you Womens have? [fitzie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a great thread! Lots of good info.. I'm sure I'll refer back to it often!

Looks like Zipp 404s are tops...

Come crawling faster
Quote Reply
Re: OK, thinking about getting race wheels - what do you Womens have? [fitzie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She trains on Rolf Vectors. Both are 650c on her P2K.
Quote Reply

Prev Next