Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How was your week? Nov. 14 Edition
Quote | Reply
Tell us about it!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Nov. 14 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did pretty well. Ran more than I had planned (goal was to keep it under 40 miles...), rode 1x instead of twice, did the 3 swims I had planned. I did the two speedwork sessions running - mile repeats on Tuesday (6:15, 6:15, 6:10) and then on Saturday, a progressive workout of 23 min increasing speed 0.1 mph each minute going from 8.0 mph to 10.2 mph.

M - 3.75 mi + 4000 yds
T - 5.3 mi + bike 1h05
W - 5.5 mi + 3200 yds
T - 13.5 mi
F - 7 mi + 1500 yds
S - 7.8 mi
S - 10.4 mi

I did hip exercises W, S, S. Shoulder lifting/rotator cuff exercises Sun. Totals: 8700 yds, 1h05, 53 mi.

I also had one of the most fun weeks at school I've had in a long time. School is usually fun for me, but this past week just rocked. Good weekend, too - found a new book by an author I like; spent a large chunk of time making the invitations for my thesis defense (my mom is into card-making so we have pre-cut cards and envelopes. I'll try to take a picture of one; I'm that proud of them ;-) they even have a wax seal, because that makes them look like Harry Potter letters!!!), and a friend is giving a seminar on Thurs. so I made sugar cookies for that, which will be decorated in a math theme along with his seminar topic (too complicated to explain). It felt good to be "crafty," even though it meant I practically did not leave the house this weekend between making those and actually doing schoolwork.

Nutrition was so-so this week. Had some rough days with school stress. I also had a freak-out last night that came out of NOWHERE. When I was severely anorexic, I couldn't stand to eat dinner with my family - the noises of other people chewing and of utensils on plates bugged me for some reason (I to this day am not sure why) - and that happened again last night. I managed to stay at the table but it was hard to eat and I just wanted to LEAVE. This is common for me at breakfast- I usually get up early and if someone else wakes up and sits at the kitchen table, I move - but I've been ok at the dinner table for years. The only thing I can think of is that we had my brother's girlfriend over and we had 5 people around a table made for 4, so I felt too close to other people. I hope that's it :/

This week - this is my last week for my thesis. I have to print 4 paper copies of it next Monday, and then my committee has 2 weeks to read it (during which I will make the powerpoint for my defense). I'm excited and plan on enjoying putting the finishing touches on it. I'm also lecturing on Friday for the calc class for which I TA. Usually TAs just do the smaller course sections where they work on "labs"/homework, but this will be my second time lecturing. I like lecturing :-) I need to write my lecture...

Academic goal: finish thesis ;-)
Sport goal: swim 3x, do hip exercises every day, shoulder exercises 5x, run one speed workout, keep running under 45 miles.

Have a good week, everyone.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
p.s. I made geeky cookies for my advisor and her husband, too. (He's a physicist). Apparently I haven't grown out of the second grade bring-presents-for-your-teacher thing.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tigerchik -
That sounds like a good week for you! Good luck on your thesis defense. You'll do great.
I have started to be crafty again too. I think it's Christmas. I'd love to see pics of your invites.

I had a pretty good week. One less bike than I had planned, but got in my two swims, AND I rocked my last serious week of marathon training w/ a good 23.5 mile run yesterday.

Monday - swim 2, 000
Tuesday - run 10 miles
Wednesday run 8 miles in a.m., then 1 hour bike on trainer followed by 5 run in the afternoon
Thursday 12 mile run
Friday 5 mile run in a.m., Swim 2,000 in p.m.
Saturday 48 min bike on trainer (had to stop to take my son to b-ball practice), came home and ran 8 miles
Sunday 23.5 miles, w/ last 5 miles much faster than the rest of the run.

This week, I'll go down slightly on running miles, no more than 60 miles.
That should give me time to do 3 bikes, and 2 swims.

Have a great week everyone!!!
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Nov. 14 Edition [nad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice week!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i actually learned how to do flip turns without drowning! :)

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
mistressk wrote:
i actually learned how to do flip turns without drowning! :)

cheers!

-mistress k

Well done - can you teach me?
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Nov. 14 Edition [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sweet :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
haha, my husband taught me! he was swim team when he was growing up but just swims for fun now - i did all the lifesaving stuff in swim classes growing up, so i can rescue someone but move with neither speed or finesse in the water ;)

he taught me tuesday night (with a LOT of fumbled attempts and water up my nose), then i was able to use them for my workouts on thursday and sunday with only 1 or 2 minor flubs. i've discovered the venturi action of pushing off will help drain my nose, too ;)

the "ah-ha" moment was tanker telling me to use my arms to help me somersault in the water, rather than expecting to manage it on momentum alone. that stopped me under-rotating and coming off the wall 6' under water (or bumping my shoulders on the bottom at the shallow end)!

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Whoo Hoo!!
Yep you gotta use those arms. When I was learning many moons ago, I just practiced summersaults in the water away from the wall first, and you have to use your arms to get around. That is also how I teach flip turns as well, it's a progression, and so much easier on the shoulders than an open turn.

check out my blog http://theswimmingtriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Nov. 14 Edition [SDCali] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If only it was easier on the lungs, too - haven't done more than 100 repeats (scm) yet, and need a long rest between each to catch my breath!

I'm sure it'll get better with time :) Will attempt a 150 tomorrow, since Tuesdays are my "try new stuff, do drills and enjoy the water" workouts.

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
K it definitely gets better... I was sworn to Open Turns for years... no no I'm a tri-ath-a-lete, I don't need no stinkin flip turns... but once I just sucked it up and started doing them, I'll never go back. For me, I find if I engage my core in a "crunch", I flip better. The breathing thing, gets way easier, to the point where doing hypoxic 50s is almost easy... "breathe every 5? no prob... how about we breathe every 7 instead?"

Good on ya, most triathletes never bother learning. Like riding a bike, you'll never forget (just watch the beer belly - when you put on a "winter coat", it can get in the way :-))

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Nov. 14 Edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just a quick question, I see these updates most weeks but don't usually see mention of weights and whatnot. Am I wasting my time 4-5 times a week with workouts??

I managed a 15k run which is the furthest I have gone ever. In awe of some of you guys with the miles you put in.
Biked three times.
Zero swim. Bad I know but I am lax on it since I used to swim and run like a loser.
Five times with the weights - chest, back, legs, arms and shoulders.

Diet was good but I am stuck - keep telling myself it is all that muscle I am putting on. Ahem.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Nov. 14 Edition [genkigirl1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a LOT o f debate on the tri forum about weights. I think the majority would say, do weights if you have an area of weakness, or that gets injured a lot. Otherwise, it is better to be sport specific. You will not get better at anything other than lifting weights by lifting weights. It won't help your swim, your bike, or your run. If you want to do triathlons, then spend the time on the three disciplines involved (sport specific) and not in the weight room.
If you went down to lifting twice a week, and spent the other time in the pool, you'd be better next summer for your tri's.

As for the run - well done 15K is awesome. Keep up the great work.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Nov. 14 Edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
haha, i think i'm still working on losing last winter's coat! ;) will think about consciously doing a crunch when i'm in the pool tonight!

genkigirl1, i do 10-15mins of strength work weekday mornings before work - some pilates-type stuff, some bodyweight, some heavy lifting, sometimes just yoga, stretching or foam rolling. if i have any minor injuries or muscle imbalances, this is where i work on them. don't know if it makes me any faster (i'm not very quick to begin with), but it's a nice way to get my day started and good for general health & fitness.

cheers!

-mistress k

Last edited by: mistressk: Nov 15, 11 7:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Picture of the outside of the invitations:

Close-up of the wax seal :-)

pics of actual invite to come

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
re: weights --- I have shoulder and hip exercises, mostly with resistance bands though I use some light weights. That's all I do.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tigerchik
Very nice!!! Very Harry Potter :)
Let me know how the defense goes. I'm sure you'll be amazing. We're all cheering for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the replies. It makes sense to work more on swimming, running and biking I suppose - I just really love my weight workouts! Glad to see I am not the only one who does them. But yes, should prob head to the pool to help me get ahead - to be taken over by the runners again next year! Sob.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you like it, there's nothing wrong with doing it. It's great for bone density! It just doesn't have the highest ROI as far as tri times.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Indeed it is - I get a health check every year and mine is off the charts. Now if only that led to a lower over all fatty mcfat rate! ;)

That being said, was thinking about this last night. I hit the gym 4-5 times a week. If I spent that time in the pool, running or on the bike, would prob take the fat off and would indeed help with my times. Um.... just not enough time in 24 hours, is there? I have no idea how some of you manage all you do - and with kids! Well done!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
That being said, was thinking about this last night. I hit the gym 4-5 times a week. If I spent that time in the pool, running or on the bike, would prob take the fat off and would indeed help with my times. Um.... just not enough time in 24 hours, is there? I have no idea how some of you manage all you do - and with kids! Well done!

I'm a grad student; I'm single; I don't have kids; I live in a dorm. The first one means I have a flexible schedule. The second two mean I don't have to worry about anyone else. The last one means I don't have to do yardwork or much cleaning or anything like that. There's really no excuse for me not to get in a lot of training.

Per losing weight: body composition is more about what you eat than it is what you do for exercise. I've seen "80% diet and 20% exercise" and I don't know where people got those figures, but I think it's probably pretty accurate. If fat loss is your goal, look at nutrition. And you don't need to give up all the lifting sessions; maybe you trade 2-3 of them for sbr workouts. Come up with a compromise that keeps you happy.

And don't put yourself down but saying fatty mcfat! Women get enough subliminal messages that we're not good enough, smart enough, thin enough, rich enough, etc. No need to insult yourself too.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Indeed, the diet. I love my beer and wine faaaaar more than I should.

Def not fat - though you're right, too many messages out there that we need to be smaller than really is "normal" and healthy!

I have to say, I don't work FT - I blame the gym and pool hours. 10-9! Kills any notion of me getting up early unless I am running!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, that is late for a gym to open. Where do you live? What about getting up early and riding?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Japan. They cater to the housewives and old people. Not the people who work. Or those who have lives. Clearly people who work need to be working, not at the gym. Sigh. ALL gyms are like this unless I wanted to pay for a Gold's Gym and looking at their prices and a one hour commute... nah. To make it worse, most gyms don't have pools - my gym is one way, the pool the other. Thankfully I have a 7.5k pond with a trail for the running! Bike to work so do get a bike in nearly everyday even if it is only 10-20k in total. I get up early to run before sometimes, then hope on the bike and go. I won't start about the drivers here! ;)

Excuses, excuses... Like I said, in awe of some of the numbers. Certainly not lazy by normal standards but man, you guys are inspiring!

She says while sipping beer.
Quote Reply

Prev Next