Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Friday Weekly Weight Reports [karencoutts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been following this thread since about a week after Karencoutts first posted it. I really like this 5:2 idea and beginning today, I've decided to give it a go. I have about 8-10 pounds of fluff that I would like to lose. I was there 2 years ago and I hope that this approach will help get me back on track. :-)

I've tried strict calorie counting, but it just doesn't seem to work very well for me. With calorie counting, I tend to over-restrict carbs and/or get other macros wrong. I typically feel really good for a few days when doing this and then the fatigue hits me like a brick and my workouts begin to suffer. At this point I tend to get very nervous and binge on a mass quantity of food. That's all it takes for me to go back to my old eating habits. I'm thinking that because this involves a 1-day fast, my body won't hit that brain fog/super fatigue low that so often derails me. We shall see. I also really don't "want" to calorie count day-in and day-out for the rest of my life. I think eating should be intuitive when possible, but I also know that weight loss isn't rocket science... it's about creating enough of a calorie deficit so that your body starts using some of its fluff.

Anyway, this is an approach that I haven't tried before and it seems simple enough. I have no plans to indulge in pizza on non-fast days. I want to keep it clean and healthy... I just don't want to be afraid to eat brown rice anymore (like I am when I count calories). So I'm onboard and I like the idea of having a support system here. My plan is to fast on lighter training days (like today... it's a swim day) and then eat sensibly (without calorie counting) on the day before a long/key workout & the day of long/key workout. This will mean that the day that I fast on will vary slightly each week, but from what I've read, that seems to be OK.

Here are my starting numbers/goals:

Start (May 10): 128.4 pounds at 5'5"
Goal: 118-120 pounds (and I'd like to be there before November)
Quote Reply
Re: Friday Weekly Weight Reports [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JenSW, that is amazing news! You broke through your 133 barrier!

Funny, running into a personal trainer you've "fired" must be as awkward as running into an ex! You want to be looking at your best, as if you were doing perfectly fine without them.

Congratulations on your progress... two inches on a waist is a great accomplishment.
Quote Reply
Re: Friday Weekly Weight Reports [shella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I've been following this thread since about a week after Karencoutts first posted it. I really like this 5:2 idea and beginning today, I've decided to give it a go."

That's great, Shella, because I was going to just drop this thread but I was wondering if anyone would be still interested in the outcome of my experiment. I hope it works for you like it did for me. You've thought it out well, timing your workouts to your eating pattern. I've not encountered any unusual fatigue... uh, wait a minute, not really sure sometimes whether my weakness is due to insufficient training or the fasting.

Overeating on regular days is actually expected. Most folks end up eating 110-125% of usual on "feast" days. The purpose of the fast is supposed to be longevity instead of weight loss, so we do have to be vigilant about the overeating if we are intending to lose weight.

Every Saturday I go for a hammerfest ride where I'm going for around 2.5 hours at 10 bpm lower than my max HR. I've been dropped a lot recently, but not sure what the reason is.

I'm holding steady at 121, after yesterday's low of 120.5.

Quote Reply
Re: Friday Weekly Weight Reports [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was wondering if you know how the fitbit one calculates calorie burn? It seems like a lot of the calculators and gadgets (mainly HRM) are all over the place with estimates. Does it have an option to upload metabolic info from a new leaf assessment or anything like that?

I could probably look this up....
Quote Reply
Re: Friday Weekly Weight Reports [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FitBit is best used to keep track of activity, versus RATE of activity. In other words, it knows when you're moving , but not how fast. The BodyMedia device i.e. BodyBug have accelerometers and do an admirable job of accurately estimating calorie burn.

And no, I'm sure that New Leaf results can NOT be uploaded to FitBit at this time ( I work with both protocols daily)

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Friday Weekly Weight Reports [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I pulled on a pair of jeans this morning that I haven't worn in a year and they fit! The number on the scale is 127.9 which is awesome but I also know I'm dehydrated so that isn't an accurate number. Even adding a pound to account for that it is still progress!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very little satisfies like seeing the scale move and fitting into clothes again-congratulations!

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JenSw wrote:
I

I gained 25 lbs rapidly when put on some anti-depressants last year after some rapid weight loss from the depression. Got off those and dropped 10 pounds but the last 12-15 I want to lose aren't budging. I'm having a hard time finding the balance of calories to support my running but not overeat. I'll find I do great for about 4 days then have a massive starving day where I eat everything in sight which wipes out the progress of the previous 4 days.

OMG YES!! I can also count on 1 hand the number of rides (in the last year) where I finish or half way through without being STARVING and bonk. Again yesterday. Ugh.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Last edited by: kathy_caribe: May 19, 13 5:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
karencoutts wrote:
"I've been following this thread since about a week after Karencoutts first posted it. I really like this 5:2 idea and beginning today, I've decided to give it a go."

That's great, Shella, because I was going to just drop this thread but I was wondering if anyone would be still interested in the outcome of my experiment. I hope it works for you like it did for me. You've thought it out well, timing your workouts to your eating pattern. I've not encountered any unusual fatigue... uh, wait a minute, not really sure sometimes whether my weakness is due to insufficient training or the fasting.

I'm just seeing this thread so please don't drop it. I would like to get to 67kg. I'm at 71. I've gotten down to 69 but I absolutely refuse to do any diet or fad thing and I have no problem (emotionally) counting calories - helps me to establish what a normal day should be - but it is interesting that so many report binging after a few days of being "good". I always thought I was alone in that. I'm going to watch and see if it follow my normal bonk weekend sessions (have yet to get nutrition nailed down on these weekend rides) but I'm very skeptical about the fasting. When I started (at 90kg) I did so with the goal to never do anything I coudln't continue doing all my life. so far, so good.

However, I'd prefer to be fat and be able to hammer than be thin and not. so there is that. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I so think the key is all about being realistic & whatnot. Whether it's fasting or counting calories or just being mindful of what you're putting into the machine....don't make changes that aren't sustainable or that leave you with something too out of whack that you're trading off something bad for something else that's bad in a different way. (If I repeat this to myself enough times I'm sure something will click....)

I spent the past week & a half basically on vacation! Was traveling & swimming at nationals the 8th-12th & we were eating basically whatever we wanted. We were somewhat reasonable some of the time....but overall it was not eating on a timetable OR eating healthy. Follow that (the next day) with a week's vacation at a resort - drinking, eating, snacking, you name it. And I basically didn't work out at all! I was CRAVING healthy food, regular quality sleep & my workout routines by the end of the week.

MIRACULOUSLY I only "gained" 3-4lbs during all the travel. Now that I'm back & ate like CRAP all weekend, I've notched up another 2 (but I'm at least hydrated again). I'm still below where I started & not surprised at all. I enjoyed everything about the trip & am ready to get back to being healthy. I think this is part of the whole deal - if I had tried to be a calorie-monster during that trip, I would've wound up only drinking all week!!! Had a 650cal burn at swim practice this morning so it feels good to get back to 'real life!'

That said, my next ortho appointment is tomorrow & there are some major adjustments/changes to be made. So we'll see how much I eat/lose for the next week!

Kathy Caribe is now my hero....how absolutely beautiful was this quote!!!

Quote:
However, I'd prefer to be fat and be able to hammer than be thin and not. so there is that. :)

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome news, JenSW! It is such a nice feeling to put on formerly tight pants to find they're loose on you!
Quote Reply
Re: Friday Weekly Weight Reports [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To be frank, I feel like a nutcase when I try to explain my intermittent fasting regimen and the reasoning behind it: that autophagy kicks in after fasting for 12-18 hours. Autophagy is needed for the life-prolonging effects of calorie restriction.

So I also have never subscribed to any fad diets. This is the first "diet" I have ever tried, and I have tried hard to convince myself it is purely for prolonging my life. But I also need to lose weight to race faster, and yes, I like to be able to fit into my clothes.

So far, the weight is still staying off. I haven't lost much more, though. I seem to have reached a plateau at 121 (old scale).

I had a terrible session riding today. I felt like I was fatigued. But I'm not sure if that is because I have been having horrible sleep for the past few weeks (since losing the weight). I've had some horrible hot flashes, and I think it is because of all the fat I lost.

I'll be reporting on my experience with maca root in the other very helpful thread that you started.
Quote Reply
Re: Friday Weekly Weight Reports [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At this point, I think I can sustain the twice a week fasting for the rest of my life. If the reason is prolonging life, then I'm willing to feel hungry twice a week. I certainly would not do this if the only reason was vanity.

I am already gutted that I had children so late in life and that I will die before I see my grandchildren reach adulthood.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
karencoutts wrote:

I am already gutted that I had children so late in life and that I will die before I see my grandchildren reach adulthood.

(does maths to see if she's in the same club...eldest is 18 so he could be providing grandchildren, but AFAIK he's still a virgin, so there is that. :) youngest is 11 so that means mid 60s by the time she's legal and, well, hell, I see what you mean. Well, I'll likely get to know *some* grandchildren by my 80s so I'll go with that).

the reason I'm following along is that your original post indicated you'd never done diets either, so it is fascinating to me to watch your experience but right now (screw the grandkids :)) my focus is ability to train as I'm running into that wall of severe dropoff of ability - after 55.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If any of you would like to do some reading on Intermittent Fasting, try this free or nearly free book from amazon: http://www.amazon.com/...-ebook/dp/B00B0CQXGM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've officially fallen off the wagon.

We had a long weekend and so I decided to skip fasting on my usual Monday, thinking I'd do it on Tuesday. I didn't. Then I didn't do it on Thursday, or the following Monday. And my weight went up to 124 (that's 122 on the old scale, to keep it consistent with the beginning of my thread and the numbers there). Gained a pound.

Now I'm not confident that I can do another one. I'll try again on Thursday. It's just that I've felt so overwhelmingly hungry by 10:00 am, I decide that I'll just do a fast the next day, but then I don't.

This is a good test of whether I can sustain this lifestyle. I managed to do it for six weeks before falling off.

I wonder if my lack of will power has anything to do with my horrible hot flashes. I've been getting terrible sleep for a few weeks now. I'd like to find something to blame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know nothing of this fasting thing you're doing, but IMO whatever eating plan you follow has to be something you can do for the rest of your life. If it's too hard, then you will only get short term results.

I'm currently working one-on-one with a nutritionist. I meet with her weekly. So far, so good. The main goal is to increase my protein intake and balance out my blood sugar (so I eat more often). Here's the main things she's having me do:

- 20 g protein at every meal
- fat at every meal (flax, olive oil, etc)
- bfast between 7 and 8 (I used to eat much later)
- lunch between 12 and 1
- mandatory snack between 4 and 5 - must contain protein
- dinner before 7 (used to eat at 9 or later)
- no food after dinner (this one is easy for me as I don't get hungry at night)
- limit yourself to 2 fruits a day, 1 cup of coffee, 1 oz cheese
- 4 large glasses of water a day (8 cups) - I put a slice of lemon in mine
- bfast is usually a green smoothie with protein or Greek yogurt + flax + fruit
- lunch is a protein and veggies or fruit
- dinner is protein and 1-2 veggies
- grains only at bfast or lunch
- no potatoes, corn, beets
- other veggies are free and can be eaten anytime when hungry
- 2 cheats allowed per week - 1 glass of wine, 1 oz dark chocolate, etc

This is a very easy eating plan and is close to what I was eating before. The main thing I had to change was the time I was eating and increasing the protein. I also had to limit my fruit intake since I could easily eat fruit all day long. We'll see if I can have long term success with this, but it's definitely something I can do forever as I'm not hungry, I'm eating foods I like and it's easy to follow.

Good luck, everyone. I know how tough this weight loss battle can be. I'm embarrassed to even say how much I need to lose right now, but at least it's going in the right direction right now.
Quote Reply
Re: Friday Weekly Weight Reports [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm kind of with you, Dawn. I've lost 120 pounds over the years, with a little to go to reach race weight, and I think over the last year or so I've developed a sustainable program for me, also working with a nutritionist & a diet doc (actually a psychiatrist, but she's an integrative functional physician, balancing brain chemistry, basically). I do a pretty extreme Paleo, no fruit, no alcohol, no high glycemic veggies. It translates basically to good fats, protein, and kale or other green stuff. Daily prescription methylated B-12 shots, a prescription methylated B6 tablet, some Omega 3 capsules, and 10,000 iu of vitamin D3 daily. That's about it. I stay in ketosis pretty much all the time. I feel terrific. My workouts are good (despite some herniated discs, shoulder issues, etc.) But the best part is that within those parameters I don't sweat quantity or timing of fueling. Maybe when the workouts pick up, I'll be adding some medium-chain triglycerides (little packs of coconut oil or almond butter) and electrolytes to my long bikes and runs. But right now I just take water along and burn my own fat for fuel. What could be simpler, or more sustainable? But to each his own.

Loving it,

~~ kate
Last edited by: dreaming~big: May 29, 13 9:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a really good, solid plan but sheesh it's a LOT of thinking & planning & measuring. I think my problem is that I ENJOY food too much & I REALLY don't want to spend much time thinking about it or planning around it. I have too much other crap going on in my life to focus on. (And given that I don't even have children, I have NO idea how that's really possible.)

I try to eat consciously & be mindful of the content I'm putting in my mouth & thinking about what it does to my body. That said, I'm a bit of a train wreck at the moment, but it's real life. I ate a HUGE donut for breakfeast that a girlfriend brought back from one of THE best donut shops in the country (Sweetwater's in Michigan). I also had a HUGE dinner of hibachi last night, but only ate once yesterday. So obviously I'm not perfect.

But I'm still hovering at around 6lbs or so down from where I was a couple months ago....so I'll take it.

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DawnT wrote:
I know nothing of this fasting thing you're doing, but IMO whatever eating plan you follow has to be something you can do for the rest of your life. If it's too hard, then you will only get short term results.

I'm currently working one-on-one with a nutritionist. I meet with her weekly. So far, so good. The main goal is to increase my protein intake and balance out my blood sugar (so I eat more often). Here's the main things she's having me do:

- limit yourself to 2 fruits a day, 1 cup of coffee, 1 oz cheese

aaaaand, I'm outta here. Nothing in the world short of kid or DH related could convince me to give up cawfee of my own free will. :)

Quote Reply
Re: Friday Weekly Weight Reports [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha! Actually I have to say that's the one item on the plan that I don't abide by. I just drink extra water to compensate.

It's really not that hard. It's just about making new habits that will work for me. I think that I eat a very healthy diet, but as the years go by I'm adding more and more weight, so obviously something's not right. After you hit your 40's, it gets very, very hard. I eat less than half of what I used to eat in my 20's and I'm still putting on weight. This list of "rules" may seem long and arduous, but you just get into a schedule and you don't even have to think about it anymore.

Everyone has to find what works for them. Also, what works in your 20's or 30's might not work when you get older. I've only been doing this for 3 weeks, so I'm not sure this is the answer, but I like the program and it seems like it will help me. We shall see...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good point. I think routine is the key to anything. I used to think getting up at 4:30 for morning swim workouts was impossible but now it's mostly "normal."

I'm still working on the food thing. I wish I could break the emotional connection. That would force me to think about it more though....which would probably yield positive results. Not being the only one in the house that's a tough row to hoe alone.

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is a very sensible eating plan. But I cannot agree to two treats a week. That would be like death for me. I don't drink alcohol or coffee, so no big deal there. My eyes also popped out of my head when I thought of never having potatoes, corn, or beets again. I MUST have my poutine every once in a while (potatoes with gravy and cheese curds). It's a Canadian thing, eh? I feel blessed that I don't have any food allergies, and that plan simulates having food allergies. I'm sure a person could get used to it, though.

The IF (Intermittent Fasting) is in place NOT to help you lose weight, but to help you live longer. The side effect for most people is that you will lose weight. There are two ways of triggering autophagy (cell cleanup) and you're doing one of them, exercise. The other is fasting.

So, I'm back on the wagon today. Decided to turn today into a fast day. I was thinking about it. How wimpy am I that I can't handle skipping breakfast and lunch? I'm living in a rich society where the food is neverending. I need to buck up and do this, as it is only twice a week and I can eat normally, treats included, all the other days.

It seems the key to a successful fast day is to not have your child be sick at home (that's what happened last week when I fell off the wagon) and to spend the fast day exercising! I feel so virtuous now after a double workout (soon to be triple?), I should be wearing a halo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So does a triple grande soy latte count as one cup of coffee?

My weight numbers are back up again :/ Still fitting into smaller jeans though.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JenSw wrote:
So does a triple grande soy latte count as one cup of coffee?

Of course! Silly question, Jen. :P
Quote Reply

Prev Next