Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Are potatoes vegetables?
Quote | Reply
I'm making my nutritional commitments for the year and need to know if potatoes are considered vegetables. My goals are to eat a minimum of 1 piece of fruit a day and 3 servings of vegetables. Not big but it is a huge improvement in how I'm currently eating.

I can get bored with veggies pretty easily so I'm thinking through some ideas to keep it interesting. Thus the potato question.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Are potatoes vegetables? [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They sure as hell aren't meat. ;-)

--
01001010 01100101 01101110 01001000 01010011 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01010100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01000100 01100101 01110110 01101001 01101100 00100000 00101000 01100001 01100011 01100011 01101111 01110010 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01110010 01101111 01100001 01100100 01101000 01101111 01110101 01110011 01100101 00101001 00100001
http://trainingoferic.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Indeed they are. One of my closest friends is the Exec. Director of the Washington State Potato foundation. She tells me all the time about the goodness of our friend Mr. Potato

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Indeed they are. One of my closest friends is the Exec. Director of the Washington State Potato foundation. She tells me all the time about the goodness of our friend Mr. Potato

So does the good people of High Fructose Corn Syrup....

http://www.hfcsfacts.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure most people consider them a starch, not a veggie... maybe school cafeterias still count them as veggies...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well sure they are, but in making this nutritional improvement, you aren't going to deep fry them and smother them in ketchup and mayo right?:)
There are a lot more vegetables out there that give you more bang for the buck.
Not telling you how to make your commitment, but a suggestion made to me that I kept and it was great was in addition to eating more vegetables (it is good you have a specific number too rather than just 'more') an idea is maybe trying one new vegetable every week, something exotic maybe from the produce aisle. And if you don't like it, fine, but you tried. Variety is good to cover all nutrition bases and keeps you out of a rut too.
Quote Reply
Re: Are potatoes vegetables? [austin79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess that's my question ultimately. Are veggies and starches mutually exclusive?

Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Are potatoes vegetables? [swimfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm so glad you started posting here :D hahaha

Quote | Reply
I'm with ya. I'm a vegetarian who has been eating horrible for the last 2 - 3 months so I need to get back on track. I eat all different veggies I just get sick of them in general.

No fried taters, I'm mostly thinking roasted or baked. I love roasting carrots, parsnips, sweet potatoes and red potatos.

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They seem classified as a veggie. Sure, they're a very starchy vegetable, but they're not a grain, dairy, fruit or meat so technically they're vegetables. They're also high in carbohydrates. Interesting idea I've come across is substituting cauliflower for potato in several recipes. Mashed cauliflower, for instance.

I made a promise to myself a few months ago to increase my veggie consumption. I've made them more of a staple for snackage, but I'm not at all good at fixing up veggies as food. I'm no fan of cooking to start with, so that probably has something to do with it. I've resorted to pre-made Indian food for some of the variety (I love palak paneer).

There is no justice, there is only me. -- Death
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They technically may be, but I wouldn't count them in your 3 veggies/day. Three is nothing. You should shoot for 5 or more.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Are potatoes vegetables? [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh I know, 3 isn't enough but that is my minimum. If I have a salad that will end up being more than 2 servings just with that one meal.

I was hoping the potatoe would count but it might not. Sweet potatoes would probably be OK as they have higher nutrient value.

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stick with sweet potatoes if you like them.

From Wikipedia:

In 1992, the Center for Science in the Public Interest compared the nutritional value of sweet potatoes to other vegetables. Considering fiber content, complex carbohydrates, protein, vitamins A and C, iron, and calcium, the sweet potato ranked highest in nutritional value. According to these criteria, sweet potatoes earned 184 points, 100 points over the next on the list, the common potato.(NCSPC)

Come crawling faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mashed carrots & turnips w/ a little bit of cream cheese mixed in. My mom calls them bash-nips(sp?), but I call them mashed carrot & turnip deliciousness!

Quote | Reply
Reminds me of my first year at university, which was quite a few years ago ... I was slowly forced to transition away from being vegan... I ended up having them cook me carrots one evening because the vegetable choices were: french fries, rice and corn. It seems odd that we had french fries at every meal but anything with more than a modest amount of nutritional value was a treat. It was an a-la-carte deal so if I ate every meal at the pay-by-weight salad bar, I'd have been out of $ by the time midterms hit.

I was always told that corn was a starch or grain, and didn't count as a vegetable in a nutritional sense.
Quote Reply
Re: Are potatoes vegetables? [swimfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
So does the good people of High Fructose Corn Syrup....

http://www.hfcsfacts.com/
Oh so correct you are.

Last edited by: leslieW: Dec 30, 08 16:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>>I can get bored with veggies pretty easily so I'm thinking through some ideas to keep it interesting. <<

Pick up the Moosewood cookbook. And stick with green, yellow, red, orange.

You live somewhere cold, yes? Fresh is best, if you can get it.

kale or other greens now can go in soups or pasta sauce

green beans, my fave
asparagus, my other fave
brussel sprouts (roast them with a bit of olive oil, sea salt, pepper and balsalmic vinegar)

yellow squash
butternut squash

decent salad greens mixed with veggies, some protein, a bit of strong cheese
fresh spinach, my other fave
broccoli, my other fave

tomatoes (yes, technically a fruit)
beets (hot or cold) another fave!

Napa/Chinese cabbage
bok choy (stir fry with some water chestnuts, mushrooms and chicken)

I'm leaving out some more popular ones since I don't really like them (peas, eggplant).

You should be able to find 5/day from this list.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_vegetables

I think I'm off to the market!

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, but ditto others about them being mostly a starch (corn is the same way). The skin has most of the nutrients, eat that and scoop out part of the white part. We can get red, purple, yellow potatoes around here.

Sweet potatoes, still starchy but very high in all kinds of good stuff.

Potato chips definitely do not count! LOL.

so Brian and I were trying to decide what to make for dinner. Last night I suggested "milkshakes." Which is what I had (chocolate!) and tonight he is cooking chips and salsa. He says this is a question for google (the potato one).

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Are potatoes vegetables? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Google says potatoes are a vegetable.

I did get fresh salad fixings yesterday and have some fresh pineapple in the refridgerator which I'll have as a snack later tonight.

I have to get better about cooking from scratch. It is easy to keep frozen peas, green beans, edemame, etc around so all I have to do is nuke them.

All part of the master plan to get off my butt and take training seriously again.

Salsa does count as a vegetable as long as it is fresh. Not sure that corn chips do though.

I just got done steam cleaning my carpet. My reward for vaccuuming it, 1 cookie. My reward for finishing the steam cleaning, 1 cookie. So far that's been dinner.

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had 2 whole wheat toasts with peanut butter and apple sliced on it, and two chocolate chip cookies and a glass of milk. Now I'm hungry again. I guess today's training is catching up with me :P

Brian had a candy bar.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He's not setting a very good example, is he?

Good for you for getting in a fruit for the day! And, good sources of protein, fiber, fats and calcium. Sounds like a perfect dinner to me!

Whole Foods carries the amazing frozen biscuits and I'm contemplating how to make dinner out of them. Maybe with some soup and pineapple for dessert.

If I have tomato soup does that count as a vegetable?

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tomatoes are actually a fruit. And when they are cooked, you get more lycopene for some reason, so tomato soup is good.

I never have trouble eating fruits and veggies - I have to force feed myself the bready pastaish starchy stuff most of the time. I would LIVE on liquid calories if I could. Things I've had to eat today

Breakfast:chocolate brownie cliff bar, warmed up in the microwave
3/4 c oats (dry measure), 1/2 c plain yogurt

(8 mi run)
Snack - 16 oz chocolate soymilk, fried egg

(40 mi bike) - 1 gel
Snack -20 oz chocolate soymilk

Lunch - caesar salad (w/o the dressing because I hate salad dressing)

snack - cliff bar, banana

dinner - 2 ww toast w/ 1/4c peanut buttter, apple

dessert - 2 choc chip cookies, big glass of milk.

snack - am boiling baby carrots and spinach, will throw parmesan on them because I can't find butter.

late night snack, apple with 1/4c peanut butter

I'm a rabbit and still terrified of potatoes, pasta, rice thingies thinking I will get fat but that of course is the eating disorder voice talking. I mean pasta is actually healthier than all the soymilk - less sugar! But this is my irrational world. I will stop lamenting my issues now...

Last edited by: tigerchik: Dec 31, 08 11:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went with the Amy's Southwestern Vegetable soup. At least I'll feel like I've eaten a veggie.

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok I have been having this image of Jen snowhoeing 20 miles with a burlap bag of potatoes on her back! Grunting, trudging through the snow...getting hypothermic and muttering to herself.....Must....EAt...VEGETABLES!
There are a hundred reasons to try other 'vegetables' but I think in your case the weight here should be a factor! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Potatoes are considered a starchy vegetable. They are actually quite good for you if you eat the skin. Most of the fiber is in the skin and the skin helps slow the digestion of the simple carbohydrate. They are a great source of Potassium-even better than bananas! When eating vegetables I always encourage clients to eat a wide variety of colors to get lots of different phytochemicals, which fight oxidative stress in cells. Lowers the risk of all kinds of bad stuff.

Krista
Quote Reply

Prev Next