Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Racing against a transsexual?
Quote | Reply
I guess the cat is out of the bag so to speak and since I'm out in the main forum, I thought I would stop here and say hi.

I'm a new(er) transsexual and an established triathlete. As a guy I did fairly well and at some point in my transition I hope to get back into triathlons. I can still ride and I can still run, but training in the pool has become an issue, as you can fully understand.

I'm not sure of the rules and what I will have to do, but I know that if I do race, I will never race for prize. At this juncture I cannot see that being fair to anyone, so it would not happen. I would eliminate my name from the placings.

I just wanted to come and say hello

So, hello.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply
Re: Racing against a transsexual? [Transgender] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi! hope all goes well for you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome! The more, the merrier as far as I'm concerned.

As far as I can tell, the only good thing that carrying fat further down on the body is good for is swimming (neutral buoyancy). That said, have you noticed your body fat changing, i.e. less around your abdomen and more on hips / thighs?

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Racing against a transsexual? [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
Welcome! The more, the merrier as far as I'm concerned.

As far as I can tell, the only good thing that carrying fat further down on the body is good for is swimming (neutral buoyancy). That said, have you noticed your body fat changing, i.e. less around your abdomen and more on hips / thighs?

I didn't have much around the waist and I can't wait for some hips. I already have a narrow waist, so hips are on the wish list. Boobs and hips. :)

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome to our crazy family. Always nice to see a new face. :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hips, you're probably not going to get since those are bone structure and not fat :(

Boobs don't make a difference in your swim stroke if you're swimming properly (i.e. with a wide pull), they just change your swimwear options.

First swim in a wetsuit with the boobs and you're going to feel like you've got a rock on your chest because of the squishage. You'll get used to it.

http://aclockworkmango.com
Quote Reply
Re: Racing against a transsexual? [LuvMyCrappyBike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LuvMyCrappyBike wrote:
Hips, you're probably not going to get since those are bone structure and not fat :(

Boobs don't make a difference in your swim stroke if you're swimming properly (i.e. with a wide pull), they just change your swimwear options.

First swim in a wetsuit with the boobs and you're going to feel like you've got a rock on your chest because of the squishage. You'll get used to it.

Fat will redistribute to the hips. I won't get "hippy" but an ass and some fat will grow. At least that's what I've been told from long term TGs

Swim with boobs. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Transgender wrote:

Fat will redistribute to the hips. I won't get "hippy" but an ass and some fat will grow. At least that's what I've been told from long term TGs

Well, the long term TGs would be the authority on that one :)

http://aclockworkmango.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Transgender! Thanks for sharing, being open and candid with your discussion. I have been enjoying reading about what you are doing and I am learning a lot. I wish you all the best and hope to continue to chat with you on the main forum and here in the womens...

You rock! :)
Quote Reply
Re: Racing against a transsexual? [perfcctionist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LuvMyCrappyBike wrote:
Transgender wrote:

Well, the long term TGs would be the authority on that one :)

My SO is on boobs and hip watch. It's a joke we have as we watch my body change.

perfcctionist wrote:
Hi Transgender! Thanks for sharing, being open and candid with your discussion. I have been enjoying reading about what you are doing and I am learning a lot. I wish you all the best and hope to continue to chat with you on the main forum and here in the womens...

You rock! :)

Thank you very much. The reactions I get from females is radically different from the reactions I get from males. I have a lot to learn.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Transgender! You are so cool and brave for being open and out on a tri website, really admire it! So... how do you practice swimming? I would think doing open water swims would be easier then going to a pool... more privacy or something. I know a F to M trans guy who swims at my pool, maybe its easier to do it that way then M to F. Anyhow, good luck to you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, since you obviously love to race so much, I hope you don't take yourself out of it too long! Also, do you have any women's cycling, running or tri groups in your town? That could be a lot of fun. In my experience, there is the whole range in most of those groups - from the very competitive women to the just-having-fun types.

One of my ex-boyfriends was born in a female body. I met him 7 years after his transition to male. Obviously, he has to take testosterone for the rest of his life. One thing we laughed about a lot was the inconsistency of his biking or running performance (when we trained together) based on when he got his last "T" shot. Recent T shot = he could keep up with me on my rides, and quickly run out of my sight on our runs. And he could lift heavier weights. And hike or run uphill without getting out of breath. Several days since the last T shot = much slower as a runner, out of breath; less cycling endurance, I had to wait up for him. And he'd be a lot more fatigued in general.

Though he passes 100%, and generally gains muscle very easily ever since going on T, if you have a careful eye you'd notice he still has the bone structure of a woman, most notably, wide-ish hips, knock-knees, and small-ish leg bones. That bone structure, which he'll always have, probably disadvantages him slightly if competing against men. (In fact he does not race; he thinks the idea of spending good cash to bike a route you could do on your own is a giant waste!) But we concluded that hormones play a much greater role than bone structure in modulating the difference between male and female speed. He will never have that born-male rib cage for his lungs; and yet his "lung capacity," or ability to run or walk fast without getting out of breath, varied extraordinarily depending on the T shot timing or overall dosage.

By the way, based on my many trans acquaintances, there are plenty of stories of families coming around. It can take 1-5 years. My ex's parents were religious, and initially disapproved. Years later, his mom is now his greatest advocate. To her church friends who still ask, "How could you have let this happen?" his mom replies, "Can't you see he is so much more himself now? I'd rather have a very happy son than a suicidal daughter."

Oleander
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As an AG'er in local tris I'd suspect you won't get much hassle unless you're a consistant winner. If you were in the Olympics it would likely be much more of an issue.

Ironically, the only TG I've known personally was a female to male and was very unathletic. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Racing against a transsexual? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Welcome! Great to have you here!

There was a really interesting article in Runner's World maybe 5 years ago about a M to F trans who has been a very competitive runner as a man who found that she was not so competitive as a female. Before trans he was worried about how he might handle placing in women's races, but she ended up being more of a middle of the pack athlete in the end.

Some experts explained that carrying around a male skeleton with a female musculature was a pretty major disadvantage. There may have been other factors, I don't remember, sorry.

Anyway. That may or not be your experience. But you may have one less thing to worry about than you think you do.

Good luck with everything and here's hoping you're back in the pool soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good on you girl and go on with your bad self!

Quote | Reply
I found a relay team... :)

I may be able to race this season. Of course I'll bike or run, but at least I'll race. And I have decided to hit the ocean to swim. I can do that pretty easy.

Thank you all...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are on a mixed relay, you could compete and whatever place
you get would be legit. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm just curious... why can't you swim now? Is it because of the locker room issue? If so, perhaps you could check out a local YMCA or JCC. Because both are "family friendly", every facility I've been to has a "family changing room". It is a small changing room by itself so that moms or dads can take their kids in without worrying about gender conflicts in the locker room (Moms with boys, Dads with girls). I suppose you might have the issue of small boobs still, but you could get fakies to add to your swimsuit - like a post-mastectomy woman might do.

Just a thought. Best wishes to you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi! Welcome! I have been following your story and posts for awhile now (I am assuming you are the same person from BT, right?). THANK YOU for being so open and sharing your story. I think a lot of folks have questions/insecurities/uncertainties, and for some peeps that results in anger or hostility or some such--by having individulas like yourself being open and honest and willing to tackle stuff head on, hopefully it will educate a lot of people.

As far as racing...I don't care if you race as a female (and after X amount of time, isn't your "male" advantage diminished anyway b/c of teh hormones and things?).

And as for hips...you can have all of the extra stuff that has accumulated on my hips and butt since I turned 30. it's all yours, free of charge :-)

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: Racing against a transsexual? [mmrocker13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iwgu1030 wrote:
I'm just curious... why can't you swim now? Is it because of the locker room issue? If so, perhaps you could check out a local YMCA or JCC. Because both are "family friendly", every facility I've been to has a "family changing room". It is a small changing room by itself so that moms or dads can take their kids in without worrying about gender conflicts in the locker room (Moms with boys, Dads with girls). I suppose you might have the issue of small boobs still, but you could get fakies to add to your swimsuit - like a post-mastectomy woman might do.

Just a thought. Best wishes to you.

Hi, sorry for the delay in answering, I was caught up in LR and forgot I posted this. Sorry. As for why I can't swim. Well, I'm getting a little big up top, to big to go without a top and I still have a male(ish) figure and face. Not liek I can get into a girls bathing suit and go to the pool, yet. :(

mmrocker13 wrote:
Hi! Welcome! I have been following your story and posts for awhile now (I am assuming you are the same person from BT, right?). THANK YOU for being so open and sharing your story. I think a lot of folks have questions/insecurities/uncertainties, and for some peeps that results in anger or hostility or some such--by having individulas like yourself being open and honest and willing to tackle stuff head on, hopefully it will educate a lot of people.

As far as racing...I don't care if you race as a female (and after X amount of time, isn't your "male" advantage diminished anyway b/c of teh hormones and things?).

And as for hips...you can have all of the extra stuff that has accumulated on my hips and butt since I turned 30. it's all yours, free of charge :-)

Thank you for your kind words. No, I'm not on BT. Someone over there is trans too? I should go there and introduce myself...

People will always mock, make fun of and all other type of bad things, but i have to learn to deal with them. It's all part of the change.

I will race again. I'm fast as a male so it will take a long time for me to lose it. Sad kinda. I won't race to win, just to have fun and be out there. I really wouldn't feel right taking someones hard earned spot. I couldn't do it. Some can, I can't.

I'll be sending you my addy in PM. You can mail that extra hip anytime now. The bigger my hip, the small it makes my waist look. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For a few weeks now, I have been thinking about you (I don't know who you are) and find it rather sad that it comes down to having to tell people what is going on. I know that many people feel the need to come out and let the world know what is going to happen so that others can get prepared for the ultimate shocker and this should not be. I know a transgender (male to female) who competes as a woman because female is what she is. When I first met her, I was shocked for about 10 seconds but let it go because I knew nothing mattered but the fact that I was being introduce to a new person. She is one of the most friendliest and helpful person I have encountered in the last year. I wish you all of the best and hope that the world will embrace your transformation and you as the person who you were born to be.

Quote | Reply

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms

Last edited by: mmrocker13: Jun 2, 11 6:32
Quote Reply
Post deleted by teagan [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: teagan: Jun 2, 11 3:27
Re: Racing against a transsexual? [teagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry :-( I wasn't sure of the eitquette in sharing blogs/posts. I took a gamble since it was posted elsewhere. I'll delete!

My most sincere apologies.

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome!
Just a thought and I hope it's not an offensive one but I wonder if you'd feel comfortable swimming in a compressive one piece trisuit or swim skin. They make most people look pretty androgynous anyway. Not suggesting that you NEED to hide anything but it seems sad not to swim if you want to.
Another idea ... is there a LGBT masters team near where you live? We have an awesome group here in Vancouver and I've seen then in several other cities as well.
And I'd love to race you as soon as you're up for it. Actually, I'm really impressed that you're able to train consistently and feel good enough to race with all the hormone changes knowing how even minor changes mess me up LOL As long as you're not out to claim podium spots or prize money (I agree that might be a bit iffy during your transition) why not just have fun, race yourself and whoever happens to be in the same general area of the course with you.

Best wishes,

Miranda
Quote Reply

Prev Next