Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Race weight???
Quote | Reply
I'm wondering if there is anyone out there who struggles like me......I'm a hair shy of 5'3", range between 124 (low) to 132 (winter) lbs and a pretty average athelete. Not fat but can't seem to drop the 5-10 lbs I'd like to help get faster and run a BQ or just be faster in general. Pretty good about staying away from treats and pretty active, usually workout 6 days a week, especially now training for summer races, both running and tris. Not blessed with the best genetics in terms of speedy metabolism but have made improvements by trying to consistently eat numerous, small meals a day to keep it going combined with activity level. I seem to have a hard time getting my food right, as in eating enough to train but I still want to lose. Nothing happening so I must just be breaking even.

Anyone else been through this struggle and have any ideas/plans/tricks that worked for them?
Quote Reply
Re: Race weight??? [JBird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's your BF% (approx)? You may not be able to drop that weight as it'll drop you to too low a BF%.

I would suggest doing some weights and ignoring the scale. I found that weights made a big difference in body composition and in race performance for me.

How much are you training a week?

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Race weight??? [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to kind of hijack this thread (though I think it's on topic!), but Andy... how do I become a member of FoodSluts (TM)? :D

Quote | Reply
Hee hee, up to now it's been more a state of mind thing, but I'll see if I can formalize it a bit. AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 5'2" and 125 and haven't been below that in over 10 years. As I've gotten closer to 40 it has been harder and harder to stay there, as is expected. I'm not convinced my body wants to be below that. I have plenty of fat to lose and I'll focus on that this summer but my body just likes to be where it is so I'm not going to drive myself crazy like I use to, it gets tiring. Focus on the eating well part and maybe your body just likes where it is.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Race weight??? [cuds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://areyouafoodslut.blogspot.com/

------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Race weight??? [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, that sounds like my life.....

http://www.rdsupplier.com "making race directing easier"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I seem to have a hard time getting my food right, as in eating enough to train but I still want to lose.[/quote]

Hey there,
I've posted this before for a couple people - I am an exercise science major and took a class on Nutrition for Sports and Exercise last semester. This is a link to a paper I had to write, the assignment was "what every athlete should know about eating." It doesn't talk about weight loss specifically but if you eat well to fuel performance your body will settle out where it wants to... and there's some stuff about nutrient timing.

http://www.edenathletics.com/node/8672

hope that helps
tc

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Race weight??? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you really going to Antarctica this summer?

I did that one summer! It was such an awesome experience! I wish I could go back! But it's COLD!!!! You live in the North East so it won't be such a shock as going from Hawaii!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For a long time I was happy racing at 140-145, for IMAZ I decided to get to 135 (a weight I hadn't been at for a very long time but knew it was a good weight for me to run at). I cut out sugar and ate almost entirely whole foods. I also cut out almost all beer & wine (I probably had 1 a month in the 3 months leading up to IMAZ and 2 a month in the previous 3 months). I was eating constantly (a friend asked me if I ever got tired of chewing), but it worked. I raced at 130.
Quote Reply
Re: Race weight??? [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no, I am working at a fitness center and it's sooooo cold in here if you're not working out. I have nicknamed my office space ANTARCTICA!

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh man... I remember when I was managing a gym. It was always frickin freezing. Staff were all bundled up in sweats and whatnot, and then some of the menopausal ladies would still complain that it was too warm lol.

Quote | Reply
today's outfit: socks, running tights, jeans. tank top, wool sweater, polar fleece. I forgot my winter hat.

in a couple minutes, "outfit" will change to SWIMSUIT!!! my boss is pretty cool. Yesterday he asked, "what time do you want to come in tomorrow?" I said, "between 8 and 9... I have to bike then run and I'm not sure how long it will take." I was in here at 8. This afternoon I asked, "can I leave for an hour and a half to swim if I come back later?" and he said sure... three cheers for Make Your Own Schedule!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fuckin A! I'm also in a bit of a make my own schedule situation - of course, I'm the manager so I make everyone's schedule. And I'm currently wearing my bathing suit under my clothes to head out for my swim right about now actually haha.
So where do you work... cuz the gym I was at was weak sauce for the upper management/owner. Of course, I was super cool for my staff as the gym's manager. Just my "manager" was balls.
Swim time... let's go! hah

Quote | Reply
OMG I miss making my own schedule. Lucky ladies.

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi JBird,
I've already mentioned this in other posts, but I highly recommend Calorie King. It's $55 for a year and it's pretty darn effective if you are religious about logging what you eat. I'm on the computer enough that it's easy to keep track. The list of food products and exercise is the most comprehensive I have ever seen. I just finished my first week with it and lost 2 lbs. I started at 144.5 and want to get down to 141 (race weight ~12%BF) and stay there for the race season. My guess is I'll be there next week, or soon thereafter. It sets you up to lose 1-2 lbs a week. The thing I really like about it is it scolds you at your weigh in if you didn't eat enough each day and provides a nice graph of the previous week showing what you did. The biggest mistake people make who are trying to lose weight is to not eat enough and their metabolism shuts down. When we had the slowtwich food logging group going last year, I couldn't believe how little people were eating...and these were athletes. That will work for a short time, but then will backfire. The other nice thing about the program is it tracks your fat, protein and carbs real-time and lets you know if you are eating too much or too little of each as you go through the day. It's amazing how hard it is to get in a decent amount of protein in your diet. I don't know how the vegetarians do it!
As a side note, the program is quite generous with calories burned during exercise, so if you have a HR monitor or power meter that measures kcals burned during a workout, I would use those instead.
Anyway...I'm so pleased with the program, that I thought I would share my thoughts. It is a bit time consuming though.
Good luck,
Diana
Quote Reply
Re: Race weight??? [Diana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a veggie and just had a salad with 31g of protein from beans, tofu and a hard boiled egg. No problem :-)

Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Race weight??? [jenhs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well...on training days (i.e. every day), I've been consuming 130-170 grams of protein, so that would be A LOT of those big salads : ). Sounds yummy though. I have my salads with chicken or turkey and all the fixins.
Quote Reply
Re: Race weight??? [cuds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Fuckin A! I'm also in a bit of a make my own schedule situation - of course, I'm the manager so I make everyone's schedule. And I'm currently wearing my bathing suit under my clothes to head out for my swim right about now actually haha.
So where do you work... cuz the gym I was at was weak sauce for the upper management/owner. Of course, I was super cool for my staff as the gym's manager. Just my "manager" was balls.
Swim time... let's go! hah[/quote]
I am at the Jackson Lab in Bar Harbor, ME. It's an employees-only fitness center and I have a steady stream of people throughout the day, but it's pretty quiet. Some people come in, lift for about five minutes, then leave... it's kind of funny. Then a couple people come in and do maybe 45-60 min of cardio - I am getting some perspective on what an average person's (ie, non-athlete) "workout" looks like.

How was your swim? Mine was good - well, I was hating life for a little while cuz it HURT but whose sig line is it, "when it hurts it feels good"

Quote Reply
Re: Race weight??? [Diana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OMG! I target 100 - 120g a day. That is alot! I would have a hard time even if I ate meat.

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Protein intake is sposed to be 1.0-1.5g/kg per day, maybe more. I am about 65kilos so that's 65 to 100g/day. Triathletes who train more than 1hr/day average should be on the high end of that. 100g a day is NOT a lot - but is hard to get all in one day. I eat dairy/meat and I have trouble getting enough protein. I can't tell you how many times I have dumped a can of tuna or a huge glob of non-fat cottage cheese on whatever I am eating to boost the protein count.

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you are confusing weight with fat. If I race hard and short (say a weekly summer offroad training tri series that lasts an hour or less), I will lose a pound or 2 but I will get very cut by the last few weeks (and very fast). Of course this is for a sprint race - not sure what distance you are training for where a little extra might be desirable. Don't go on weight - watching the scale will kill you and get you into some unhealthy eating habits, not just for an athlete, but for anyone in general. Go on feel - how your clothes fit, how your racing and training is going - are you training to get faster or just training to get miles in? that will also influence your performance increments. At a certain point (you might already be passed it in your quest) weight loss is detrimental to athletic performance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep in mind that I am also eating a lot. In the past week while I lost 2 pounds, I ate anywhere from 2100-3500 kcals each day (most days around 2800), and according to the program, I didn't eat enough 5 of the 7 days. I can tell you I haven't been hungry once. Seems like I eat all of the time. But the difference now is my choice of foods and the fact that I don't sit in front of the TV with a big open jar of cashews anymore : ). Now I just pull out 1 serving at a time. Protein is great because it's packed with satisfaction, yet low in calories compared to fat. I shoot for about 0.9 gm/lb BW of protein each day. When I train a lot, it goes above that a bit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So we've totally hijacked this posting haha.
I LOVE Bar Harbor. I wish it was easier to move to the states because that's definitely one place I would consider moving to. I'm so very, very jealous.
Swim was good, but I was having one of those "why am I going so slow?" days. Felt like I was putting in the same effort as always, but not going anywhere. Still think I'm doing pretty good for only my 4th week of swimming after a 5 year hiatus from the pool tee hee. The best part of the workout: Hotty Von Speedo that was chatting me up. The worst part: I didn't have time to really chat back because my co-worker was waiting for me to bring him lunch after the swim. Damn it! :(

Quote | Reply
Haha!

I bet if you really did go to Antarctica for the summer you really would enjoy it!

But the lack of AC is one of the things I LOVE about Hawaii!
Quote Reply

Prev Next