Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

REV3 - womens let's support the womens Pros!
Quote | Reply
Womens,

This is an interesting development for US east coast triathletes:

http://rev3tri.com/...or-2016-race-season/

Of note, REV3 races are back, offering pro purses but splitting the purses between races ala WTC. What this means is that certain races will have only female pros competing for pro purse. Even more interesting, purse size will be determined by field size. The more amateurs at the race, the bigger the purse will be.

If you are an east coast triathlete, planning your race schedule, think about including these races - especially the ones with female pro fields. I think it is really awesome that REV3 is doing this as it offer US pro women an alternative to WTC. It would be really cool if the women's amateur fields at the women pro events were higher than the men's. Not sure how to make that happen but sure woud make a statement to WTC. I think the women pros would need to get behind it in a big way.

Would love to get a conversation going here on how to make it happen.
Quote Reply
Re: REV3 - womens let's support the womens Pros! [themadcyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am waffling over doing the Maine oly, because I live right up the road (literally a couple of miles) from transition and I have no good reason not to (aside from a wussy dislike of cold, salty water). I know the the Maine oly is one of the feature races for the SheJAMs tri club based out of Greater Portland, so that helps drum up some female support, but more is always better. I would be happy to help anyone who's thinking about coming to the area as a destination if they have questions - and it would be great to do something that would help our women pros at the same time!
Quote Reply
Re: REV3 - womens let's support the womens Pros! [themadcyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sadly the one closest to me is a men's pro race... so, 2017 it is.

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: REV3 - womens let's support the womens Pros! [UK2ME] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OOB was absolutely on my list until I picked up a full mid-summer. (In fact, I tried to sign up early bird (at the 11th hour) but had trouble with the reg system after successfully signing up for Quassy. I went to bed, the early bird reg expired, then there was no reason to hurry up since price increase was weeks away.) Now I’m hesitant to sign up for anything in Aug/Sept as I would like to judge my burned-out factor before making more plans. Do you happen to know if this race sells out?

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: REV3 - womens let's support the womens Pros! [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They usually don't sell out so I suspect you have plenty of time to see how your season is going.

I am currently injured and don't know what I will be capable of so i too am waiting until I get over this hump to register.

If I am back in action, I am all over the Maine race - I have only heard fantastic things about it - let's keep in touch about this - would love to meet up at the race venue!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I stopped waffling and signed up - come for a vacation to check it out for 2017, if nothing else!
Quote Reply
Re: REV3 - womens let's support the womens Pros! [UK2ME] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely! I hope to make it up there this year but have to be healthy before I sign up! I have always wanted to see Maine's coast. I am a Jersey girl and our shores are very different!

Will keep in touch about it! Now we just need to get TC on board!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so - first off ... i am a rev3 ambassador :) Now that thats out of the way. OOB is AMAZING! Its been on my list for many years and i finally pulled on it last year, completing the 1/2. The town was extremely welcoming which is such a nice surprise. Typical Maine hospitality - a roll out the red carpet in a non-assuming glad to have you here kinda vibe. If you love seafood you can eat your hearts content of great fresh food - fried, baked, broiled. I would imagine that's also true if you aren't a seafood eater - but i didn't really venture very far from fresh catch :) Our hotel was right on the beach and was a bit dated - but clean and comfortable. The town comes alive at dusk - and we enjoyed wandering the beach, people watching and grabbing icecream

As far as the race, the swim is a rectangle, and obviously in the ocean - the breaker line was not super active on race day - but even so, the course goes out past the breakers for a smooth long line portion of the swim. It was FAST last year and we got a great push back in. I loved the bike - the roads in the beginning are a little rough - but totally acceptable and easy enough to negotiate, even in race traffic. Then it gets out into a really gorgeous ride through the country side. The run had a few challenging (for me) hills, but for someone who runs even a little hill work they are also nice and manageable. The course was largely shaded and just a really nice run. The on course support from the volunteers was GREAT. I opted for the post-race lobster bake which was PHENOMENAL. Definitely add that to your registration when you signup.

** Edit -- i was just informed - if you do the oly, be prepared for sun on the run. Apparently the shady part is mostly during the half :)

Feel free to reach out if you have questions!

Hope to see you girls there in 2016!
#BackInBlue
Last edited by: lovebug: Dec 22, 15 13:50
Quote Reply
Re: REV3 - womens let's support the womens Pros! [lovebug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am pretty sure I'm doing the Maine half this year. Just need to get employed again first, and back to regular running (hamstring tendinitis, both sides).
Quote Reply
Re: REV3 - womens let's support the womens Pros! [Midtown Miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do not think the fact that the closest race is a men's pro race should deter you from signing up to race. I think it is imperative to see good age group participation at all Rev3 races because this may lead them to reevaluate how they allocate prize money the following year, and if numbers are good perhaps we will see a return of male and female purses at all races!

I believe that the male are female pros are fairly united and in agreement that there is a need for more prize money for everyone, not either/or. As a female pro, I obviously would love the see greater numbers at the races I am doing, but I would not discourage people from signing up for one of the races where only the men get paid. I feel it can really only help us all in the long run!

Thank you all for your investment in this! I am so grateful that so many people are in support of professionals who are trying to get by in the sport.

Emily Sherrard
@EmSher1