Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Question for Tigerchik about swimming
Quote | Reply
Tigerchik -
have a question for you. I have done 2 IM's, always MOP swimmer. I want to get slightly faster. I will probably never put in enough time to be a great swimmer, but I know I can do better.

So, I am trying hard to start swimming more (which actually only means twice a week).
The question is - can I just do sets of 500 and get faster? That's what I like to do. I don't like to do fast 50's, etc. I like endurance because I can just zone out. Any suggestions helpful. I'll follow your advise.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Question for Tigerchik about swimming [nad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
So, I am trying hard to start swimming more (which actually only means twice a week).
The question is - can I just do sets of 500 and get faster? That's what I like to do. I don't like to do fast 50's, etc. I like endurance because I can just zone out. Any suggestions helpful. I'll follow your advise.

If you do only sets of 500s, you will get faster initially, and that will be from spending more time in the pool. More pool time no matter what you do = faster (assume "no matter what you do" means a workout of some kind). But you'll plateau at whatever moderate pace at which you're doing those 500s.

I know you like speedwork (or at least try to do it) for running. It is actually fun to do in the pool and I'd encourage you to give it a shot. Sets like 20-30 x 100 on an interval that gives you :05-:10 rest are still endurance work (threshold), but I find those fun in the same way that I find a tempo-type run fun. It's more "zoning in" than zoning out because you're focusing on making your interval, but it's closer to doing a bunch of 500s than it is to doing fast 50s.

Try this: warm up then do repeat 500s trying to descend them. On a different day (the next week, say) try to swim them fast and "best average" - keep them all within a couple seconds of one another. Both are distance-swimmer workouts.

Another thing you can do in a 500 to build speed is to swim every 3rd or 4th length fast. That gets hard quickly.

If you want to get the most ROI for your swim time, you need to hammer when you're in there. Can you compromise to zoning out while warming up and cooling down? I get the need to zone out --- I need that in the pool too on some days - but it doesn't get you much in terms of speed.

So I'd try those to change what you're doing a little. That's a baby step between what you're doing now and doing the shorter, faster intervals that will really build speed.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Question for Tigerchik about swimming [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome. Thanks. I'll try it, and let you know how it goes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ok :-) excited to hear about it.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This was excellent advice! When I was a kid I hated an distance over 200m but now I also am really liking 500m. :) I know I shouldn't but I keep doing 500 repeats. Maybe my mind is dead. :) This is really helpful though.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sage advice there...

I was the typical "get in and swim 2000m" chica. Then I ran out of time and had to become more efficient. So I do a lot of repeats on a turnover. I used to HATE them, now I love them. I always take my first interval as my "benchmark" time, then I add some rest period, and that becomes my turnover (i.e.: I add 10" rest and that is my turnover, so if my first 200m is 3:45, I make my turnover 3:55, make sense?). I am a dedicated clockwatcher in the pool ;-)

My fave are:
1) 10x200m with first 5 with 10" rest; the last 5 on 5" rest (this one takes focus)
2) 5x200m with 10" rest + 10x100m with 5" rest
3) 4xBroken 500m, descending: 200m @70%; 150m @75%; 100m @85%; 50m @90%+ (sprint) ; 30" rest between

Add 300-500 w/up, 300-500 drills and 300-500 c/dn and you've got a nice 3000-3500m session there.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tigerchik kind of addressed this, but I thought I'd expand a bit on the 'zoning out'.

My guess is that the one thing you really don't want to do when you're swimming (especially if you can only get in the pool twice a week) is zone out. I'm assuming that by zoning out you mean let your mind wander to whatever you feel like thinking about.

Even if you stuck to your 500m sets I bet you'd see a difference if you just kept your mind focused on one or two technique cues.

Good luck with the swimming!
Quote Reply
Re: Question for Tigerchik about swimming [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndyPants wrote:
I was the typical "get in and swim 2000m" chica.
My fave are:
1) 10x200m with first 5 with 10" rest; the last 5 on 5" rest (this one takes focus)
2) 5x200m with 10" rest + 10x100m with 5" rest
3) 4xBroken 500m, descending: 200m @70%; 150m @75%; 100m @85%; 50m @90%+ (sprint) ; 30" rest between

Add 300-500 w/up, 300-500 drills and 300-500 c/dn and you've got a nice 3000-3500m session there.

AP

There's very little difference between a straight 2000m and your 1) and 2) above. There's just not enough rest to go much faster than your straight 2000 pace. Your 3) above contains very little fast swimming, maybe 600m.

More rest, faster intervals might be called for.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Question for Tigerchik about swimming [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very helpful. Thanks. I'm trying to do some intervals. You all are inspiring!
Quote Reply
Re: Question for Tigerchik about swimming [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll have to try that! These are still giving me improvements, over what I was seeing as results following the standard 2000m straight. It's almost like learning to think intervals, if that makes any sense, like practicing ;-)

But good point, I'll have to see if I can actually go any faster haha ;-)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply