Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Question about "down there"
Quote | Reply
Ok, I admit it. The subject line was a tease for the boys, kinda.

I've got the biggest run of my life on Oct. 23rd and chafing will bring it to a halt without question. I'm thinking about getting a Brazilian for the first time. I had chafing two weeks ago that drew blood on my bikini line and similar areas from being soaking wet and not being able to get the body glide in the area I needed it cuz of hair. (enough detail for you, boys?)

Two questions:

How long will the inevitable pain and sensivity last? This is my first, remember.
How long before stubble shows up?

I need to time this just right. The race is in two weeks.

Thanks girls!

btw- this is the first place I thought of when trying to figure out who to ask about this :-)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Last edited by: JenHS: Oct 9, 10 19:51
Quote Reply
Re: Question about "down there" [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shave. If you are too timid, get that special somebody to help you ;-)

I am still trying to wrap my head around lasering my private parts...maybe some day.

Yanking the hair out by the roots; been there, done that and it REALLY HURTS. Just my experience, though.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Last edited by: SallyShortyPnts: Oct 10, 10 3:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Laser Laser Laser!!!

Seriously, it's the best way to deal with this issue. I've only gotten a brazillian wax once, and it hurt like hell while it happened. I liked the results and the feeling, but stubble showed up after maybe a week or so. Then you've got to wait for it to grow long enough to wax again, which is really really uncomfortable. With lasers you get a series of treatments that significantly decrease the amount of hair and you can shave it off while you wait for the follicles to die, and then you can get 'touch-up' treatments a few times a year if stubborn hair comes back. In terms of cost and efficiency, Laser is the way to do, I think

I've done a lot of backcountry stuff- in the wilderness or on a boat for weeks at a time- and being completely lasered is soooo much easier and more hygenic than any other method. Sorry if this is way TMI, but if you're doing wet-wipe or solar-shower baths you can get a lot cleaner without fur in the way. And it's so much easier to get the chamois butter/glide off.

If you're going to wax for this race, I'd say give yourself about 3 days to heal, but not longer than a week or you risk stubble. Take an anti-inflamatory pill about an hour before the waxing- ibuprofen is good I think- to take the edge off.

Good luck!

-L
Quote Reply
Re: Question about "down there" [lilystyx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have time for laser or the $. I'm also not sure I want to make the long term commitment. Being hairless kinda creeps me out. I'm not 8 years old anymore so maybe I shouldn't look like I am. Dunno....

I've done the shave but it is hard to get a good close shave without risking some very important parts.

Hmm..

i also noted there have been 90 reads of this thread. Wonder how many were the boyz...

:-)

Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Last edited by: JenHS: Oct 9, 10 23:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'm not 8 years old anymore so maybe I shouldn't look like I am. Dunno....

Quote Reply
Re: Question about "down there" [Maui] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha! I knew there were some guys lurking. Why aren't I surprised it is you?

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do it about 5 days to a week out. Work out, take a hot shower, take 800m ibuprofen, then go.

not painless, but bearable. Regrowth takes 3-4 weeks depending on how hairy you are.

Makes a big difference, and much more comfortable on the bike too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh please, it's not that bad, yes it hurts but it's over before you know it. Make sure you exfoliate over the next week to reduce ingrown hairs. If it were me I'd get the wax 3-5 days before the race. Any longer and you may have nasty ingrowns, any closer and you may still be tender and skimp on the bodyglide. So Sat race, Tues wax. I have raced the day after and been fine.

Good luck!

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Question about "down there" [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ps. You don't have to look 8 yrs old, leave a 'landing strip'. (otherwise know as a 'Clitler')
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pain :: about 30 seconds max

Sensitivity :: The bad kind - maybe a day, the good kind..... a few weeks at least ;) ;) ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it really depends on your pain tolerance. I've had regular bikini waxes done twice and I will never, ever do it again. Never. It friggin' hurt like hell. Can you reevaluate what you're going to wear? What is the cause of the chafing, your shorts or skin on skin? Do you wear underwear when you run?
Quote Reply
Re: Question about "down there" [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've decided to shave first, go for a few runs and see how it feels. If it is ok I'll cowgirl-up and do the wax.

I'm keeping pain in perspective on this one. It will be much shorter then trying to finish my race with bad chafing.

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alternative is an epilator, or an epilator with shaving combo. I love my epilator. If the house were burning down, and all living creatures were safe, I'd grab that and my kindle :p (Well, probably not...but you get my point.)

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Waxing really does hurt like he** - a day after the waxing, apply tea tree oil down there. Along with exfoliating, it combats ingrown hairs.

If you wax once, and want to keep it, you have to go back every 4-5 weeks. It still hurts, but not as bad as the first time.

Also (and I don't think this was mentioned yet), depending upon how far "in" you go on the sides - you might have a new chafing problem as you're exposing new skin, on skin when cycling.

Personally, I've given up on waxing (hated going to the appts, and for $ reasons) and went the shaving route. But might have to look into the laser treatment given all the recommendations.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't find the actual waxing near as painful as the others had posted. If you go to a nice salon, they will use high end products and know how to do it so it minimizes the pain quite substantially. For me the pain starts a couple of hours after - an irritation and burning sensation similar to a scrape. I have been able to minimize (and almost totally negate) this irritation with a cream from the drug store. It has bikini in the title (I can't remember what it is exactly called). It is in the shaving department of most grocery ans drug stores. Purchase it before you go for the waxing and apply immediately following. Apply for a couple of days and all will be well. If I use the cream immediately following the waxing, it is almost pain and irritation free. The pain doesn't last but 2-3 days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might also want to re-evaluate your choice of Body Glilde. My OB/GYN is a marathon runner and suggested switching to a silicone-based personal lubricant [not found in sports stores ;) ] instead of Body Glide. It doesn't wear off as quickly and was a huge help to me this season with similar running-induced chafing issues.
Quote Reply
Re: Question about "down there" [td] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's funny! Never thought of it. Should I get the KY for Him and Her? ;-)

I use Blister Shield as well for the easy to get to areas. It doesn't wash off without soap and water.

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you tried changing your shorts?

I do all my running in my tri shorts now. The seams are in more comfortable places and the light padding seems to help? I don't get any irritation from the waxing area and I don't use any chamois cream/body glide.

If I was only allowed to keep one piece of kit forever it would be my Sugoi RS Piston shorts.....
Quote Reply
Re: Question about "down there" [English] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've worn every short known to man or women. I wear compression because I have just enough rub between my muscular, awesome thighs (ueah right) that anything else rides up. I hadn't considered going totally nude until my incredibly painful expedition two weeks ago and remembered prior experiences. Since I could be out there for up to 30 hours it is extremely important I get this right.

These are all great suggestions, thanks everyone.

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No way on god's green earth could I epilate my sensitive areas. Legs, fine. top of bikini area, (the bit that escapes from the swimsuit), fine. but anything UNDER the swim suit- NFW.

Waxing really doesn't hurt for more than a few seconds. For me, once it's done it's done. No afterburn. Reduces ingrown hairs, longer regrowth than shaving, and you can leave as much or as little as you want.

Only downside is the $$$ every 3-4 weeks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Late to the thread, but I recently switched from waxing to sugaring. It feels less painful and seems to last longer. Less skin irritation, and I seem to have fewer ingrown hairs, but I haven't been on the bike as much as normal. Not a full Brazilian, though.

Jen, hope the race went well!
Last edited by: bt: Oct 19, 10 7:34
Quote Reply