Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Pregnant racing and selfishness [AmyCO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
You pretend to ask a question, but really you are just wanting people to agree with your position on this. You feel strongly that late-term participation in athletic events is selfish and dangerous. Others disagree. I know you don't want to hear it, but this is one of those areas in which there is quite a bit of room for legitimate disagreement. As a potential parent, you might want to get used to this -- there are lots and lots of topics related to parenting that will elicit this type of response: moms working outside the home when they don't financially "have" to; the wisdom of allowing your kids to eat processed foods; how serious should young kids take participation in team sports; giving birth control to kids under 18 . . . . . The list goes on and on. It's best to make your own judgments based on your own research and values. To be bothered by how anyone else is parenting their kids or soon-to-be kids (except in the extreme Balloon Boy-type situations) is a fool's errand.

"It's best to make your own judgments based on your own research and values." --- Thanks for writing this. This is exactly what I've done, I've made an observation of something in the world, and made a judgement on how that thing would apply to my own life, given my personal values. Most of the dissent here seems to focus on me being "judgemental", and how it's none of my business. Was I "judgemental"? Of course! I observed a thing(in this case a choice), and I made the judgement that I would not make this same choice myself, and kept this judgement to myself. Was this out of line? Of course not! It would have been out of line had I approached her and tried to get her to change her choice, because of my opinion. But I didn't do that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You feel strongly that late-term participation in athletic events is selfish and dangerous. Others disagree.

Well, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that falling off of a bike in your third trimester is dangerous

Quote Reply
Re: Pregnant racing and selfishness [squid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh jeez. Are you just pushing my buttons? I put my kids in daycare when they were little because toddlers irritate me and I wanted to work. Whaddya think about that? I let my 8-year-old ride a mile and a half to his friend's house. He could have been kidnapped! He could have been hit by a car! Whaddya think about that? I sometimes say "f*ck" in front of my kids. Ya think social services should be called? If some wicked buff pregnant gal wants to ride her bike in a race, it's really none of my business or the state's business or your business or the OP's business. We could all be paralyzed by "what ifs".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If some wicked buff pregnant gal wants to ride her bike in a race, it's really none of my business or the state's business or your business or the OP's business.

I agree. Nonetheless, it's still poor judgment.

Quote Reply
Re: Pregnant racing and selfishness [Madtown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You realize that a baby is incredibly well protected by the mother's body and it has to be one hell of a kick to the stomach or bike wreck to do any damage to the unborn child? It's tough to get people to realize this because of the innate desire to protect children and stuff like that but once you take away emotion and look at it logically, it really is tough to hurt a fetus but not impossible.

--
01001010 01100101 01101110 01001000 01010011 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01010100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01000100 01100101 01110110 01101001 01101100 00100000 00101000 01100001 01100011 01100011 01101111 01110010 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01110010 01101111 01100001 01100100 01101000 01101111 01110101 01110011 01100101 00101001 00100001
http://trainingoferic.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh Amy, how I miss you and wish you would come back and post more!

Hey, guess what? I'm in Pendleton OR right now. :-) I'm going to track down your parents and tell them you say the F-word in front of their grandkids.
Quote Reply
Re: Pregnant racing and selfishness [S. Pinkfontaine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Early in pregnancy that is more tru. But late term, if a woman were in a bike wreck she likely would have a placental abruption, endangering both her and the baby. A BAD wreck she could shear her uterus right off the cervix, losing both the baby and her ability to have any more (if she survives).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bingo. Now I know why I felt like this entire post was just trolling...

Hey, where you been???

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Pregnant racing and selfishness [squid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Pregnant women make decisions every day that could be considered poor judgement but we gloss right over it. Statistcally speaking, getting in the car and driving puts her at greater risk than riding her bike. Healthy and strong pregnant women aren't fragile little flowers. Mom is doing something she loves to do. Hiking, running, riding her bike through the neighborhood, shopping, all physical activity creates risk. Shutting women in the house for the duration of their "laying in" went out of fashion a long time ago.

When that kid grows up he/she will know they did their first triathlon before they were even born. Pretty cool bragging rights.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Pregnant racing and selfishness [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Bingo. Now I know why I felt like this entire post was just trolling...

Hey, where you been???

AP

Bingo what? Did she write something profound, that hadn't already been written? Hardly.
Quote Reply
Re: Pregnant racing and selfishness [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Pregnant women make decisions every day that could be considered poor judgement but we gloss right over it. Statistcally speaking, getting in the car and driving puts her at greater risk than riding her bike. Healthy and strong pregnant women aren't fragile little flowers. Mom is doing something she loves to do. Hiking, running, riding her bike through the neighborhood, shopping, all physical activity creates risk. Shutting women in the house for the duration of their "laying in" went out of fashion a long time ago.

When that kid grows up he/she will know they did their first triathlon before they were even born. Pretty cool bragging rights.

Exactly, and active women should continue to be active throughout pregnancy, if they want to. But why do a race? We've already been over this, someone else could take you out. Why risk your kid for that? Just workout/exercise on your own, save the race for a time when you can race it hard, and don't have to risk injury to your kid. No one is saying shut the pregnant woman in the house.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Being in a race is less risky than being in the car with hundreds of other cars hurdling down the road at 65 MPH.

What else shouldn't she do? Will you do all the shopping for your wife? Will you drive her to every single place she needs to go?

All I'm saying is there seems to be a lack of perspective. Many many things bring risk. A race is less risky than things she will do every day but I don't hear anyone flipping out over it. Because she is seen as being selfish she is being criticised. This was likely the last race she will be doing for a very long time and as soon as that baby comes there won't be room for anything but that baby. More power to her.

save the race for a time when you can race it hard

Please don't tell me you are one of those people who think the only reason to do a race is to race it hard. There are many reasons to race not all of them are to win.

Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Last edited by: JenHS: Oct 30, 09 8:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Being in a race is less risky than being in the car with hundreds of other cars hurdling down the road at 65 MPH.

What else shouldn't she do? Will you do all the shopping for your wife? Will you drive her to every single place she needs to go?

All I'm saying is there seems to be a lack of perspective. Many many things bring risk. A race is less risky than things she will do every day but I don't hear anyone flipping out over it. Because she is seen as being selfish she is being criticised. This was likely the last race she will be doing for a very long time and as soon as that baby comes there won't be room for anything but that baby. More power to her.

save the race for a time when you can race it hard

Please don't tell me you are one of those people who think the only reason to do a race is to race it hard. There are many reasons to race not all of them are to win.

I completely agree that many things bring risk, but she has to do that sprint triathlon? Really? That can't wait? Sure, if she's going to leave the house and work, shop, whatever, there could be risk of some accident happening. But, as a parent to be, isn't it her responsibility to make good choices on behalf of her unborn kid, when the kid can't make the decision themselves? So, don't you have to draw the line somewhere? Stuff like going to work, and grocery shopping are necessities, and I guess the mother will have to accept those risks, unless she chooses to be a shut-in. Going to the grocery store for the family isn't a selfish act, is it? I think racing is, since it's not a necessity and is a goal only of the mother. It could be the last race she does for awhile, that's between her and her husband/partner. But, that's the point, she's choosing something that benefits her alone, but the risk isn't just there for her. It's also there for someone who wasn't part of the decision to race, her unborn.

What else shouldn't she do? I don't know. My wife used to play in a women's hockey league. No checking, but plenty of pucks flying around, and you're still skating on a hard slippery surface. I would think a pregnant woman shouldn't continue to play hockey. What do you think? Would you play hockey pregnant? Would you race a tri pregnant?

No, I don't think the only reason to race is to win. I do plenty of races, haven't won one yet! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hear what you are saying, I just don't think it is as horrible as you think it is. When she goes shopping with her friends and puts the baby in a car seat to go to the mall with her, that is just as selfish but I don't think most people would have a problem with it.

Her reasons for doing the race are her own. That literally may be the last one she ever does and it could have been a major part of her life. Ultimately you don't know the story so passing judgement just on what you see for a couple minutes will drive you nuts.

I'm sure plenty of people will look at your wife, whom I truely hope has a successful pregnancy, and wonder what she is doing and why and may have a problem with it.

Different standards. Yours, and mine, aren't the only ones, and one isn't necessarily better than the other.

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I hear what you are saying, I just don't think it is as horrible as you think it is. When she goes shopping with her friends and puts the baby in a car seat to go to the mall with her, that is just as selfish but I don't think most people would have a problem with it.

Her reasons for doing the race are her own. That literally may be the last one she ever does and it could have been a major part of her life. Ultimately you don't know the story so passing judgement just on what you see for a couple minutes will drive you nuts.

I'm sure plenty of people will look at your wife, whom I truely hope has a successful pregnancy, and wonder what she is doing and why and may have a problem with it.

Different standards. Yours, and mine, aren't the only ones, and one isn't necessarily better than the other.

Very true, different people have different standards. I don't agree that going to the mall with friends is selfish in the same way as racing a triathlon.

You're right, I don't know her whole story, but I also don't need to. For me, there are no other details that could be uncovered that would suddenly make me think that a little sprint triathlon would be worth risking injury to my unborn kid. Understand that this woman was very late term. She was huge, looked like she was hours away from giving birth. I'd never race in that condition. As I've said, my passing judgement on her was relevant to me alone. I didn't do anything to impact her choice, because of my opinion. I'd say we all make similar observations and decisions for our own lives like that all the time. I'm not being driven nuts by this! Just posting my observation/opinion here for discussion.

Cheers!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bingo in that AmyCO summed up what I was feeling when reading your initial post, which is why it felt like a trolling post.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would you feel different if you and yuour wife had no trouble conceiving and had a few kids running around? Really, think of it. I was in your shoes some years ago, and have no problem with this. My wife, totally the opposite.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Exactly, and active women should continue to be active throughout pregnancy, if they want to. But why do a race? We've already been over this, someone else could take you out. Why risk your kid for that? Just workout/exercise on your own, save the race for a time when you can race it hard, and don't have to risk injury to your kid. No one is saying shut the pregnant woman in the house.

Your issue isn't with the racing, per se...is it? It's the bike riding, if I understand correctly.

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next