Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pregnant Triathlete... how do you come back?!
Quote | Reply
I am positive there are posts on here about this but I haven't searched them all out... just have so little time (prepping for baby, while regular life in full swing!!!)...

I'm 16 weeks pregnant..relatively new... but normally this time of year I've got my race plan either set or it is in process..I'm getting outside on the bike instead of the indoor trainer, my runs are picking up after a marathons season, and I'm swimming hard...

Now, I'm running what I can, swimming when I have the energy, and going to a spin class or two..

I'm due in August (HELLO hot...) on the day of my FAVORITE race (Mountain Lakes).

I'm not so much concerned with the physicality of coming back..training, but more the TIMEEEEE!!!!

Thoughts, ideas, rants, raves on ideas!!!!!

Or links to other threads :)

been MIA for a while... getting used to the pregnancy!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Pregnant Triathlete... how do you come back?! [KT-tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats! I think it's easier than most people think to get back into training...just be realistic. I'm 9.5 months post triplets and planning to race (and race fast :)) this summer in sprint and oly distance races. It's actually pretty easy to train on the bike and run at the beginning if you have a bike trainer, a treadmill and a good jogging stroller that can accommodate car seats. Babies sleep a lot (especially the first few months) so work out when they are sleeping during the day (just have the monitor close by in case they wake up). I also swam right after their early am feeding before my husband went to work and he watched the babies at least once on the weekend so I could get a longer outdoor run and/or ride in.
More info about my post-pregnancy tri journey on the USAT site

Hope this helps :)

Team Danbury Audi - Triplet Mommy!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Much of your ability to get back to training will depend on your pregnancy (normal, bed rest, gestational diabetes, etc), labor (fast, slow, long time pushing) and the type of delivery. Yes, many women can get back to training quickly - while others struggle. Having a plan is great and as the others have said you can train when the baby is sleeping, etc. Just respect your body and what may be different for you.

I am currently treating a woman who's son is 5 years old - she went back to training quickly without any problems, and now has sever incontinence and back pain. I am not trying to be a downer, but realize you may need some outside assistance. There are many physical therapists who specialize in pregnancy and post-partum.

Good luck!

Quote | Reply
I tried running when I was breastfeeding. Think Baywatch... my milk filled breasts bounced around. It was so uncomfortable, and so then I understood why large breasted women avoid running. And I am an A or AA. I breastfed for 10 months. Supposedly, you need to breastfeed for at least 6 months to optimize health benefits, and 9 months to optimize benefits to the infant cognitively. The other problem was that I didn't want my infant's head to bounce around in the jogging stroller.

Swimming and cycling should be no problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My daughter in 10.5 months - it takes more planning and juggling, but you can make it work! For me, I decided to take the season off tris and just focus on running, simply because in an hour or two, I can get in a great running workout, but in that same limited time, it's much harder to get in a decent ride. I know other people manage to make it work though!

I LOVE my treadmill - in the early days, I would put baby in the swing and she'd doze off while I ran. Now, she plays in the exersaucer, and I can usually get in 40 minutes or so. I also do a lot of running with my Bob stroller - but I waited until she was 4 months old and we had the ok from her dr.

For swimming, I used to bring her in her bucket seat to sit on the deck during masters swim - this worked really well for the first few months when she was really sleepy - the warm air and the white noise of the ventilation system put her right to sleep.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree, it typically isn't as hard as what you think - but yes a number of outside factors play into how quickly you can start back up.

Running, I nurse and have huge jugs. Invest in a solid sports bra and timing is everything. You can't run with them full, you'll be very sore. Also, I am focusing on getting my pace back w/out running crazy miles, to avoid injury. I've been back running for 8 wks after a c-section and only run 5+ miles max. Run on treadmill at home during naps.

Biking, same as above. Max is an hour, focusing on speed.

Swimming, still lags and trying to find the time.

Remember to stay hydrated during your comeback. Remember to lift weights, I lost a lot of muscle during pregnancy.

And good luck with the feelings of guilt, I am still mentally struggling with this one.
Quote Reply
Re: Pregnant Triathlete... how do you come back?! [jellyfish1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow! Thanks for sharing the article, great story. I love how you detail how slowly you came back. Congratulations to you on the family and your results!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi! Congratulations! I started running again post-partum and I breastfed until my lil guy was 16 months. I am typically a size C and was definitely more than that while breastfeeding. I found running while breastfeeding easier than while pregnant (though I ran up until the day before my son was born) because there wasn't as much pressure, bladder issues and other sensitivities. I returned to spin 10 days after I gave birth and I did my first road ride 3 weeks after his birth. I started running w/ my son in the jogger at 3 months in his carseat w/ support around his head. You will figure it out - and you'll have time and energy because it will energize you. I was so worried too but it all works out! I am now 23 weeks pregnant with my second son and still running, spinning and swimming. You'll be great! Don't worry!

Tracy M. De Soto
Femme Designer/CFO/Attorney
De Soto Sport
Quote Reply