Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Pregnancy: How do you do it? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this is a really interesting one ---

: Med Sci Sports Exerc. 1993 Jun;25(6):673-7.Links
From parturition to marathon: a 16-wk study of an elite runner.

Potteiger JA, Welch JC, Byrne JC.
Department of Physical Education, Indiana State University, Terre Haute 47809.
This study monitored a 34-yr-old distance runner for 16 wk immediately postparturition, as she trained for the 1992 United States Olympic Marathon Trials. Weight (WT), percent fat (%FAT), aerobic power (VO2max), and energy intake/expenditure were evaluated 4, 8, 12, and 16 wk post-parturition. WT declined steadily throughout the investigation, while %FAT decreased through the first 12 wk. Minimal changes in VO2max (4 wk; 52.2 ml.kg-1.min-1 to 16 wk: 55.3 ml.kg-1.min-1) occurred; however, there were substantial changes in oxygen uptake at the lactate threshold (VO2-LT) and at the onset of blood lactate accumulation (VO2-OBLA). VO2-LT increased from 35.6 ml.kg-1.min-1 at 4 wk to 43.5 ml.kg-1.min-1 at 8 wk. VO2-OBLA increased from 40.1 ml.kg-1.min-1 at 4 wk to 51.2 ml.kg-1.min-1 at 8 wk. VO2-LT and VO2-OBLA did not change during the final 8 wk of training. Energy intake was consistently below energy expenditure. No physical or medical complications were encountered during training. This subject was able to improve VO2-LT and VO2-OBLA through high-intensity training without compromising her health. The evidence indicates that well-trained female athletes, while under physician care, may participate in rigorous physical activity soon after pregnancy.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: tigerchik: Jan 1, 09 7:21
Quote Reply
Re: Pregnancy: How do you do it? [njtrigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
As for the pregnancy issue, I am always impressed by the women who come back after pregnancy and are often even better athletes. Not only do they have to come back after taking a significant amount of time off, but they also have undergone a big change in their bodies and change in lifestyle. I don't have children yet, so I don't know from experience, but I know it is a real challenge.

Agreed. What is most impressive to me is finding the time to train with a baby, and a growing child. Some of my running friends with little ones, and kids, I don't know how they do it. Granted they "just run" but how the heck do you do multisport training with a kid?!!!! I can barely juggle school and training on some days, in my current wrapped-up-in-my-own-little-world-where-all-I-have-to-take-care-of-is-me place.

The topic of pregnancy and athletic performance is terribly interesting to me; it is something I considered as a thesis topic.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: Pregnancy: How do you do it? [swimfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/...-a-boon_b_71803.html

"Might Pregnancy be a Boon to Athletic Performance"

the notable paragraph is this one:

Quote:
Blood volume rises about 60 percent during pregnancy, mimicking the effects of blood doping in which greater blood volume allows more oxygen to be carried to the muscles. Muscles use oxygen to produce ATP or adenosine triphosphate, which fuels muscle contractions. (The volume and speed of this process is aerobic power or VO2max). Male athletes are touted as physiologically advantaged because, on average, a male's VO2max is 50 percent greater than a female's. But how does a pregnant athlete's VO2max stack up? While blood volume returns to normal within four to eight weeks after giving birth, it's unclear exactly how training through pregnancy and birth might enhance an athlete's post-partum performance -- or how increased blood volume early in pregnancy might be a boon.

Quote Reply
Re: Pregnancy: How do you do it? [trailbait] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paula Radcliffe article --

http://www.nytimes.com/...sports/03runner.html

Quote Reply
Re: Pregnancy: How do you do it? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My former rowing coach thought the best thing a female rower could do to improve her rowing was to have one child. O-N-E child. "The second one ruins rowers!" (Imagine that said in a thick Scottish accent!) She thought it had to do with pain tolerance and looser joints.
Quote Reply

Prev Next