Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pre-Menapausal Osteopenia & Meds!
Quote | Reply

I am a 25 year old female with low bone density. I've had numerous stress fractures and reactions (pelvis, shin, femur, and now my 5th metatarsal). I had amenorrhea and the whole female athlete triad when i ran competitively in high school and college. Now I am really scared that I have done irreversible damage to my bone density and am really getting frickin frustrated with stress fractures. I know that most of the medication for building bone density out is more for POST menopausal women, but has anyone hear of/had success with any drugs for building bone density in PRE menopausal women? Cause i hear some of the side effects can be bad for fertility and such with some of the drugs.
I am just thinking that I should be exploring other options besides just taking calcium because i want to be running and doing ironman when i am 40, NOt bent over with broken bones and osteoporosis!!!!

Isaiah 40:31 - Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength, they will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not grow faint.
Quote Reply
Re: Pre-Menapausal Osteopenia & Meds! [onyurleft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi there,
I am older than you, but here's my story. At 39 I had a stress fracture like yours , top of my foot..caused me to check bone density. I went on Actenol and calcium supplements. Stayed on the meds until this year ( I am 49). After 10 yrs on the Actenol and trying to eat better, the bone density test came out better, actually reversed . The doc took me off the meds since they do have side effects and he did not want me to be on it forever. I have been stress fracture free since then. I am still making sure to take the calcium every day.Hope that helps you figure out what to do, I know the fractures are frustrating! Good Luck!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In addition to the fertility effects (ie birth defects possible), bisphosphonate meds used to treat osteoporosis increase bone density for 5 yrs but after that start to decrease it. I do not know why, but this is what recent studies are showing.

I do not think there are ANY drugs approved for premenopausal women with bone loss / low bone density. If you find any let me know. I'm 22 and in the same brittle boat you are.

Lifting weights has been shown to increase bone density in osteopoenic patients.

[meds - the only thing you can do is birth control pills if you are still amenhorreic]

Even with low bone density, you should be able to run without stress fractures. You need to be very careful with run volume, run surfaces, etc but after 4 or so sfx I figured out I couldn't blame the bone density. I was being stupid with how I was training. If you are not eating well or at a "healthy body weight" (god I hate that phrase) you will compound your issues.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
p.s. PM me if you need/want more info or want to talk and have someone listen and "get it." It is really hard to find out when you're so young you have osteoporosis. Going into the waiting room for a DEXA scan and being surrounded by all kinds of grey haired old people made me want to absolutely wither; ie, thinking "but I am not like them" followed by "but your bone are like theirs."

There's the medical component to it and then the psychological one as well.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, I'm 30 and had a bunch of stress fractures from age 15-27. I was able to reverse the bone loss by switching to a gluten-free, casein-free diet and supplementing with high doses of calcium, silica drops, boron, and vitamin D. I get tested every 3 months for bone loss indicators in my urine using a test called an NTX study. I would look for a doctor who practices integrative or functional medicine to help you if you want to avoid taking bone medications. You are correct that these medicines have not been tested on pre-menopausal women. long-term usage shows increased brittleness, which isn't a concern for most 75yo patients who don't have a 'long-term' to live...
Quote Reply