Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Post in jobs forum for DeSoto models
Quote | Reply
Okay maybe I am being a little sensitive, but they are looking for "typical" multisport endurance type models who must fit into a size small and be 5'2"-5'6" and 105-120#. How many of us here fit into there definition?
Quote Reply
Re: Post in jobs forum for DeSoto models [pookie87] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not me.
Maybe about 2 girls on my team.
Actually, not even sure that many!
Totally unrealistic...well maybe not 'totally' but this is not the norm.
Last edited by: triLA: Jul 16, 10 11:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I fit into that height category but not that weight!! However, I would likely fall into either the top end of the size small for desoto or at the bottom of the medium, depending on how true their sizing is to their specified measurements. I never understand how they can put a weight to size charts which are measured in inches. I weigh about 135-140 but often fit into a small or medium because of my proportions. I guess I'm more muscle than the companies account for in their weight sizing.
Quote Reply
Re: Post in jobs forum for DeSoto models [spacebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wear S or M deSoto tops and M bottoms, but am not even close to those measurements.

Sounds like you and I have the same build.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Post in jobs forum for DeSoto models [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I don't get it. I can guess what they're looking for in their models based on what I see all the time in catalogs and pictures, and I'm pretty sure that they are not looking for someone with my bod. It's annoying because they say they want someone who represents the endurance athlete, but the people in the catalogs don't look like most of the endurance athletes I know. That being said, whoever they get is going to be airbrushed and computer modified anyway. :) Oops, was that too cynical?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do! Not in San Diego though.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: tigerchik: Jul 16, 10 16:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do, but I'm not in San Diego either.
Quote Reply
Re: Post in jobs forum for DeSoto models [spacebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
annoying, yes.
Their models and those dimensions really do not represent the 'typical' triathlete. I am not talking someone jsut starting out who wants to do tris, though they should have options too, I mean, very fit women that do well at triathlon, a lot of them do not fit those parameters so to call this typical is a bit insulting.
I dont like their stuff anyway and prefer louis garneau and sugoi, but as for sizing, I am 5'6, 135 and wear a size 6 and small-medium in most tri gear. I cant imagine being functional at tris at 120. But everyone is different.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought the "typical" competitive triathlete did have the endurance athlete look- long and lean, like a runner. Cycling favors the lightweight (but still strong, oh the paradox!) and running does too, so I think this isn't so bad. 5'6" and 120 isn't all that unusual in an endurance athlete. I'm too tall and heavier, but the proportions sound about right, or at least not totally out of time.

I think DeSoto stuff runs big and would actually prefer they made an XS for those who are thinner.
Quote Reply
Re: Post in jobs forum for DeSoto models [triLA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm just about the same size as you, just a ~1/2" taller and a few pounds more. I'm pretty lean and did an 11:33 IM at that weight. I certainly wasn't a St. Bernard among the lean whippets finishing with similar times. I'd like to give deSoto some slack here, as people consistenty underestimate my weight by 10-20lbs. I would think right now, for people who don't know better, that I look like I'm 120lbs. I would guess that whomever wrote that doesn't know the actual weight range of the models he's looking for.

Personally, I wear a deSoto wetsuit and love the fit of it!
Quote Reply
Re: Post in jobs forum for DeSoto models [banana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL you make a great point. I too have a lot of folks think I am ~120lbs or so. Most are quite surprised when they find out the truth ("I'm dense")

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not me! Too tall- too fat!

I know quite a few girls who would though. I haven't read the advert, but by "typical multisport/endurance" they may be referring to body build, rather than size as I know a heap of girls who would fit into their height/weight requirements but not have the muscular/toned look that they are going for?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you're being overly sensitive. They need sample size people and the more important issue is being able to fit into the size listed. They are a business and as such, they know what works and are simply asking for that.

>>Because you will be modeling 2011 prototypes, we only have a sample set made in one size for male (medium) and female (small). <<

A friend of mine modeled for them in the past and he fit the size but definitely was out of the weight range they list, so the numbers aren't hard and fast. He did fit the sample size easily.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 5'6" and race at 118-120. Currently a little over that but will be back there soon.
I do feel a little in the minority though, ratio-wise, looking around at races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While I wouldn't qualify, I would guess most of the girls that are beating me do. The ITU girls are probably on the lighter end of that range.
Quote Reply
Re: Post in jobs forum for DeSoto models [BigV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I too think you are being overly sensitive. I am 5'6" and 117 lbs, and I think a fair amount of women I meet triathlon training would fit into those dimensions.
Quote Reply
Re: Post in jobs forum for DeSoto models [chicklamino] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yet another undersized triathlete here! 5'4" and about 113. Looking around at races, I'm one of the shorter ones, but there are definitely skinnier/leaner people than me at my races. As for how effective of a triathlete one can be -- I like to think I can hold my own. I just started last year, and am already placing in my division at the local level.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also "qualify" as a model for the ad. 5'3 and 118. I've had two kids and I'm in my mid 40s, medium to large boned. BUT, in support of your original post, I believe that the person who wrote the ad actually just wants someone who looks lean/muscular and has no idea how much a person like that would weigh.

At 117, I'm at ideal race weight. That being said, while I am lean and muscled I also have a nice post-partum little paunch. Only in my second year of racing, but placed in my very first race last year (AG) and consistently place near the top.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is pretty small. I agree, I think someone just threw some numbers out there that would sound good. I've never coached a woman who would fit that mold.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looking through their catalogs, none of their female models look like triathletes. Given that, who cares what they are requesting?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
its interesting..

I had not read that post, saw it but not read it. I emailed DeSoto with a question about the Forza short, etc and got a response. Banter back and forth, etc. Asked if I'd send some photos b/c they're looking for models, so I did.

He said that their sample size would be too small for me (based off the photos)..Odd.. I'm a hair under 5'4" and 118. He said that their sample sized are a small. Odd. I wear a Desoto Small in both top and bottom.. an xs in some zoot and 2xu.

I think they want spindly looking women like those that are already in their catalog and not real life athletes.... instead of actual muscular athletes.

It was a bit offensive.

Tiger for Life -- War Eagle!

Quote Reply
Re: Post in jobs forum for DeSoto models [KT-tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
maybe you don't fit their criteria in the "looks" department
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read this and did not really think too much about it but went to the jobs forum today after receiving my new Desoto shirt. I can see where they would need models smaller even than the sizes they would post. According to the size chart the medium shirt should fit me..but I couldn't get it down over these things on my chest....O, Yeah, BREASTS!!!

Love Desoto tho, just always need to remember to order size up. Sucks too b/c I wanted that shirt for a race tomoro.

I think to wear a small female Desoto sample you would need to be really small, prepubescent even!

And to answer the OP, I don't think that body type does represent the typical triathlete. It probably does represent a typical model tho.
Quote Reply
Re: Post in jobs forum for DeSoto models [OnTheRoadAgain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes

I did a race and their catalogue was included in the race kit so I took a look...

not one of the female models looked like a triathlete, ZERO muscle tone at all, just skinny.
Quote Reply
Re: Post in jobs forum for DeSoto models [triLA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Last edited by: trackie clm: Jul 25, 10 15:32
Quote Reply

Prev Next