Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post Surgery...any experiences??
Quote | Reply
Hi Girls. So in mid October I had to have knee surgery. I had to have my patella tendon split and the tendon insertion point (at the top of my tibia) scraped as it had a large calcium build up which was causing a lot of pain. I'm a pretty tough cookie and really thought I would be back to running in about 6 weeks. I am now coming up to 8 1/2 weeks post surgery and still not running (not even close actually). I can light cycle on the trainer every second day, I have rehab exercises every day and see a physio every week. I am getting very disheartened. I love (or loved) to run and am beginning to wonder if I will be able to do it again. I have my next IM in May and am worried that may also become a pipe dream. :( I know it is just a knee injury...nothing terminal, so I don't want to sound like a complaining brat, but I am wondering if anybody else has had this surgery?? How long did your rehab take?? Are you able to run now?? I am 47 so expect recovery to be a bit slower than a young person, just desperately hoping it will happen.
Quote Reply
Re: Post Surgery...any experiences?? [Mr + Mrs C.C.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd post this on the main forum; you might get more responses.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it may also help if you included what your diagnosis was and what exactly they did (arthroscopic or open surgery, and what exact procedure)

my general literature search looking at patellar tendon issues and surgical recovery generally had folks returning to sports in several months, not weeks, and sometimes over 6 months

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did the surgeon tell you 6 wks?

My knee surgery was supposed to be totally textbook meniscus tear and back on the bike in 4 wks. But when she got in there it was another story and it was more like 4 MONTHS.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply