Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Possible migraine Cause
Quote | Reply
So I started my "time of the month" on Sunday morning, that afternoon I did a 75 min run and a 60 min swim. I started to notice towards the end of the swim that I was getting a headache so I made sure to up my water intake and get of the water. When I got home I ate some Cheezits and drank a Coke to get some salt and carbs. It did absolutely nothing my headache turned into a migraine. I took two extra strength tylenol after I ate dinner and passed out on the couch. I woke up Monday morning still having a slight headache that as the day went on turned into another migraine. I had to watch my brothers kids that night and finally got home to my own house at 5:00am on Tuesday. When I went to work Tuesday morning my head still hurt and gradually by about noon was a killer headache/migraine. I asked to leave early because I couldn't handle the sound of anything or light. I went home and slept from 4 - 8pm ate dinner and went back to bed at 10. Woke up on Wednesday and could still feel a little bit of pressure so I made sure to take it easy. Of course on Wednesday my "time of the month" was over and by Wednesday afternoon my headache was barely there and thats how it stayed all week. I got an adjustment and that did nothing for it. There was no type of pain killer that could help or dull that pain it was just killing me. So my question is that I've never had these problems until I dropped down to the weight that I'm now which is currently around 110 - 111 and I'm 5'6". I know that I'm suppose to weigh more and have been trying to gain weight but its not really happening. I've noticed that during that time of the month I crave red meat and I'm starting to wonder if I could possibly be becoming anemic during that time. This last time I ate a lot of meat for breakfast, lunch (when I could eat a decent amount due to the migraine) and dinner. Is it possible that due to the weight loss ( I use to be 130lbs) that my body isn't handling it as well and needs the iron or is it something else? I was wondering if anybody else has had any problems with this kind of issue?
Quote Reply
Re: Possible migraine Cause [tayjay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do a google search for PMS migraines, or something along those lines. It's fairly common for the two to coincide.

The only time I ever get migraines is around my period, usually on Day 3-4 (of 6) & every 2-3 months. Just my personal experience, but it's not uncommon.

Not sure about anemia, but if the weight loss has triggered it & your cravings are such, then there might be a link.

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never found Tylenol to work on my migraines. Have you tried Advil or Excedrin?

Personally, I make sure I've eaten, had a little caffeine and am not dehydrated. I take three Advil and go to bed. By about 10pm at night, the migraine will lift. Mine tend to start around noon. It's very much a pattern around my period.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Migaines can very commonly be hormonal. Mine generally are. There may also be other triggers.

I found when I took up Tri I became much more responsive to triggers, like hormones and side effects to drugs, that I had not had (or noticed) in the past.

As for relief, I have a migraine prescription of Imitrex (which actually works pretty well on its own) and Vicodin (tho it may make me nauseous. The Imitrex on its own usually does the trick the best BUT if I am at work and don't have access to Imitrex, then EXCEDRIN MIGRAINE does a really freaking good job.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look up "menstrual migraine." I've been suffering these for years (not every period, thank goodness).

Hormonal changes are a factor. Add in extra stress response at that time, possibly with altered sleep patterns. Then toss in a nice dose of getting dehydrated (from exercise), the sun, and/or alcohol (to deal with the perceived stress). Perfect prescription for a nice migraine, waxing and waning over 3 days, in my world.

What works for me: Maxalt. I am not sure what exact class of drugs it is...not sure if it's related to Imitrex. It is not a narcotic like Vicodin (which does little for my headaches). They are expensive ($30/tablet), and my particular insurance doesn't help with the cost (and wants to limit how much I get)....I pay cash from my HSA and it is worth every penny to not be in pain every afternoon and evening when the headaches are worse for 3 days. You do have to take it fairly close to the onset of the headache.

I do also try to limit the other factors...hydration, sleep, for me sun exposure (I also have gotten migraines after long races), and alcohol.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any changes in your period since the weight loss? Could be the weight loss has affected your hormones, and the different level of hormones is causing the migraine. Any changes in diet? Foods you eat now you didn't before?

Another vote for Excedrin Migraine. I take two with a shot of espresso or really strong coffee at the first hint of trouble and 9/10 times I can short circuit the headache.
Quote Reply
Re: Possible migraine Cause [lreichman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My periods have gotten lighter and don't last more than 4 days since I've lost the weight around August (which is when I was at 108). As for changes in food and diet I cut back on sweets back in June of 2010 but I didn't start to get the headaches until November 2010. Doctor is thinking it could possibly be stress but I'm still thinking its due to iron. I started taking some natural iron pills two days ago and I haven't had any sign of a headache since whereas I typically start off the day with a slight headache that either hangs at a slight headache or gets much worse. He gave me some sample packets of RELPAX which I'm suppose to take only once I think its turning into a migraine. So I'm at this point seeing if its due to low iron levels because I have been anemic before by taking the iron pills or if its related to my period in which I've never had problems with a headache during my period.

Another thing... Caffeine does absolutely nothing for helping take away the headache
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My daughter has started (last August) a cycle of headaches that I'm pretty sure are hormone related. She is only 11 but I suspect that they will eventually correlate to a menstrual cycle when menarche hits. She is totally incapacitated by them.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get migraines and they seem to be more frequent during my period and in winter. I have had quite a few since I moved to sub-arctic. I have hormonal IUD for 8 years so I hardly ever bleed but I still have a cycle so I don't think mine are iron related, because I am really concentrating on getting enough iron. I also get a bit of seasonal affective disorder, which seems better if I take 2000 units of Vitamin D and try to get outside as much as possible. I find a mix of ASA and ibuprofen help chase many of my migraines away at aura stage. Also, I find I get them after a stressful patch has finally passed by. The moment I relax, they strike.
My sister gets them quite badly - she reacts especially bad to sulphites in things like dried fruit. I used to get them worse when I wasn't so active. They suck! Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've have had migraines since around 2004-2005. I get them pretty bad and there are may triggers depending on the person.

Based on my experience and my neurologists advice for me I have a few thoughts on what your triggers could be. Hormone changes around the time of your period could definitely be a cause, probably the most likely. Another cause (in combination with the hormone change) could be letting your blood sugar drop during your training. This can be a cause of migraines. Stress can also be a cause.

It's funny you mention that your low weight might be a cause. I found that when I was at a lower weight (102-105 lbs, 5'5) I had less migraines. When I got up to 110, my migraines actually got worse (possibly due to changes in hormones). Maybe your body likes to weigh a little more and it keeps your hormones in better balance?

I also suffered from anemia last year and didn't notice a significant change in migraines from it. I did have a lot of other symptoms from it and started taking liquid iron in addition to paying much closer attention to what I eat-more iron rich foods, vitamin C rich foods, not drinking tea when I eat, cutting back on calcium since I was eating a lot of calcium rich foods and calcium blocks absorption of iron.

I would suggest seeing a neurologist if this is negatively impacting your life and job. I went a couple years before getting treatment and missed a lot of work as a result. I take Maxalt and works pretty well in most situations. I was also taking Topamax for prevention for several years, but it has not been as effective recently so I have tried a couple other medicines, both of which had bad side effects that were not worth it. I've found that over the counter stuff does not help me, but taking Maxalt does.
Quote Reply
Re: Possible migraine Cause [njtrigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input! When I saw the doctor he thought that the migraines were coming due to stress (I work in a family business with my mom, dad and two brothers and all of us are high strung) because they weren't happening just around my period anymore. So he put me on Zoloft and so far I've not had one migraine or headache. I didn't think that they were due to stress and anxiety since I'm so use to being stressed out but apparently this year has been different getting out of a three year relationship and losing my furchild (my weimeraner Rhine) and also dealing with economy and the problems that come with that when it comes to a small business owner. I never felt stressed but it turns out I'm getting really good at hiding it from myself so its rearing its ugly faces in different forms such as migraines. Hopefully the Zoloft continues to work otherwise I'll be back at the doctor.
Quote Reply